Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Pressure cooker question Options
librum
#1 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 11:53:04 AM

I may post now?  Thank you.  (Forum messing up...)

> From what I've seen, store-bought cookers build a maximum of 15 lbs of pressure when in operation.

Pressure cookers, perhaps, but not condensers.  I do not have a pressure cooker, but several condensers.  A pressure cooker is limited, for canning, from my observation.  I use my condensers for the same job.

A condenser will allow up to sixty psi.  Also called 'vacuum pans'.  Also called 'distill pans'.  The idea is to be able to partially dehydrate, hence 'condensed soup'.  The pressure allows you to lower the needed temperature to boil/sterilize, and also helps keeping from scorching.  A good condenser will sterilize fresh drawn milk and separate to curds and whey, an old time breakfast staple, without scorching.  It is also the way goat milk people used to separate the cream.

> Why can't I make my own pressure cooker using a standard stainless steel pot and just set a 14 lb weight on top of the lid?  Any pressure over 14 lbs (plus the weight of the lid itself) will lift the lid slightly and vent off.

It will vent off and not build any psi.  Without that pressure, it requires more heat to boil, does not do a good bacteria kill as outside leaks in, and much more chance to scorch.  It is a 'one-way' venting you need.

> On a store-bought cooker, what is the purpose of having a tight seal at the lid if the steam will vent at 15 lbs anyway?

> Just trying to save 200 bucks...

Check around for a condenser in estate sales.  I have seen them go quite cheap, but needing a good cleaning.  I am not aware of any English manufacturers for new.  I am aware that Amish will buy a pressure cooker, and intentionally overload it to test.  My reaction to that is 'It is your life!'. 

Sarah

StreetLegal
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:51:36 PM

I've answered my own question on the pressure cooker.  If the pressure inside the cooker is 14 psi, then my lid would need to weigh 14 pounds per square inch of surface area.

That means a 10 inch diameter lid would need to weigh 1,099 pounds in order to develop 14 psi inside the cooker - if my math and thinking are correct.

And thanks to MEN for fixing the forum...maybe it will come back to life around here?

StreetLegal is new and improved, now with 18% more sarcasm!

StreetLegal
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 5:51:36 PM

Hi folks, haven't posted here in ages, but I have a question about pressure cookers.  From what I've seen, store-bought cookers build a maximum of 15 lbs of pressure when in operation.

Why can't I make my own pressure cooker using a standard stainless steel pot and just set a 14 lb weight on top of the lid?  Any pressure over 14 lbs (plus the weight of the lid itself) will lift the lid slightly and vent off.

On a store-bought cooker, what is the purpose of having a tight seal at the lid if the steam will vent at 15 lbs anyway?

Just trying to save 200 bucks...

Thanks

StreetLegal is new and improved, now with 18% more sarcasm!