Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Adding passive cooling to older (1940s) SE US home? Options
GAIKOKUJIN KYOFUSHO
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:31:00 AM

Hi we are looking to work on an old family home and try to make it more green and as we are in the south east US a major issue will be cooling (we own a lot of land and grow saw timber so what little heating we will need will be supplied via wood heating).

We are hoping to add long term minimal maintenance solutions to this house to reduce upkeep burdens/costs on future generations (nothing says expensive like doing/redoing an AC system on an old southern home). Some background information bit that might help get suggestions going:
•    We have a large creek/small river very close to the house (house is on a hill, flooding not an issue) that is very slow moving and actually warm in the summer (it gets that hot there).
•    The house is all wood
•    Currently almost no insulation (insulation ideas welcome as that is very high on our list)
•    About half of the house is shaded by large trees.
•    It has a tin roof
•    It has a large attic area
•    No basement
•    It has two large “southern porches” (not even sure if that is relevant but I’m just putting that out there) one facing NE other facing SE
•    Its two stories tall
•    It gets really humid in this area (which is part of the reason I am posting, there seems to be lots of info on cooling in dry climates but not so much for humid climates)
•    The downstairs has semi-high ceilings (about 12ft, upstairs 9ft max [am estimating])
•    The ground is fairly rocky/clay
•    We have some tiny springs that are a few hundred yards away (cooler than the river but very low volume in terms of water output)
•    Lots and lots of wood, as I mentioned before we grow pines for saw timber
That’s about all I can think of that might be relevant. As I mentioned we want low maintenance hopefully so some sort of passive cooling seemed to be the way we need to go but as we will be renovating an old house and not building a new one I realize our options will most likely be limited.

Thanks in advance!
librum
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 2:31:00 AM

So true, SL...