Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages <123
This place is a ghost town Options
davisonh
#41 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:25:14 AM

Oh and dont forget about little ol' me either,lol.JD I am in the process of building my own panels also,well informed as to how they work,feel free to ask me anything as always..

davisonh
#42 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:33:37 AM

Also if you have any questions regarding NEC practices go to my favorite 'Code' site which is codeday@lists.necanet.org They have a daily email I get called 'Code Question of the Day' and yea it's for electrical geeks like me and also PE's and aqyone who has a question about the legalities of what you're doing,solar panels very hot topic right now there.I got a thing from my cousin(she is the lead editor for the National Fire Protection Assn.,free codebooks every three years for the rest of my life yea!!!)about new rules pertaining to where to put disconnects and particularly WHAT to disconnect in case of fire or other calamity.There are article changes in the works to accomodate this very issue as we speak so stay tuned..2011 Code is coming out soon...should be interesting.

Sarah/Librum
#43 Posted : Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:29:43 PM

That is cute, the 'eight' turning into a smiley.

DavidsonH, Thank you, I will be passing that tidbit about the email list on today.  As you may remember our electric is hydro, so there are always questions, but usually to our people.

DavidsonH, I am not sure what you meant by building your own panels.  I think you meant purchasing panels and wiring them up, but maybe you mean the actual construction of actual panels.  If the later, have you looked at the cupro?  No where as effecient as the silicon, but they make for nice 'pixie lights', to guide the way on our paths/sidewalks, think of the solar lawn lights, but homemade using copper sheet.  A 2x3 foot sheet keeps a car battery nicely charged for hot battery swaps.  If making actual silicon panels, please let me know where you are getting your information, we could use that for 'spot' locations. 

JD, your last entry, about the radio tower, that is smaller than any I have seen.  Here there is 'boom sliders', that slide up the side of existing sections, and are two sections long.  You slide the slider on the tower, one section down, and bolt it in.  Due to it's double length, you can raise the next section by old fashioned block-and-tackle.  They fold up for transport in a pickup, and are rentable at the local (seventy miles local) rental company.  And they also rent the safety belts, etc.

As I am sensitive to heights, I am on Sal's side.  /WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/confused.png

Sarah

jd
#44 Posted : Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:07:26 PM

Wow, guys, I am blown away!  Somebody is actually reading the blog!!  I am gonna have to 'spice it up some' now that I have an audience.  I thought I'd just do a daily journal rather than anything that required effort.  It was intended just to get the spleen vented.  You know, ordinary daily stuff mostly to practice..........?  I don't think a journal can be that interesting, really.  Still, the words get expelled from the system and I feel lighter. 

Thanks for the tips and yes I know about the galvanizing.  I intended to grind it off where I had to weld.  Plus I am doing it outdoors in a stiff breeze.  But I could use some more tips as I have never welded. 

We got another length of the tower up yesterday.  Will put the next length up today.  May stop there altho we have the fifth length still to go.  It will only be at tree height (they recommend being above tree height) with four but we get lots of wind.  And Sal is somewhat hesitant to die.  We've got climbing harnesses and ropes and stuff but she is 58 and never climbed that high before and so it is a challenge for her.  I am very proud of her - she is the best partner in the world!  40 years together and all of it perfect (for me, anyway - Sally would likely phrase it differently).  

practicalman45
#45 Posted : Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:49:44 AM

JD, I did enjoy reading your blog also. Thanks for the email invite and the link to it.

You know you are welcome anytime to ask me any "welding questions". Just email me: I don't get in here very often these days. Heck, you might even get me to come visit you and help you with welding while I'm there. Of course, you'd have to have every needed tool on hand as the last time I went up to Canada your Border Customs grilled me about  whether I was planning to do any work up there and then made me open my trunk to make sure I had no "welding tools" with me. Still chuckle about that...

jd
#46 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 6:19:33 PM

Thanks, P-45.  Good of you to offer.  And you are always welcome here, you know that.  But, out here, so many people have so many skills that I have several neighbours already champing at the bit to do some welding for me.  I am inclined to wait until I get a small used welder and all the 'crap' that goes with it and do it myself but, to be honest, I want the work done before winter sets in so we'll see.  I won't forget your offer, tho. You may wish to reconsider - we were planning a trip to Portland and concluded that we would be a minimum of $1000 lighter after all the gasoline, ferries and attendant expenses.  Traveling used to be inexpensive.  Ain't no more. 

Yeah, Canada Customs is pretty stupid.  Classic third world mentality.  "Ve haf ze power to strip your car down to scrap metal so you must respect us even when we are rude and stupid!" I have no idea where they get their role models from.............hmmmmmmmmm........

VidOblog™
#47 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:42:55 AM

I have been busy with offline life and deaths mostly as well as working on our recording /mastering studio projects but will be trying to visit from time to time
JeremyAdam
#48 Posted : Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:42:55 AM

What is with you guys, when i left this forum you used to have to check it 5 times a day to keep up with what was going on. There hasnt been any activity on here for days and days. Its lame. This used to be one of the best places for information on the web and now all it is is tumbleweed. Its a shame that the forum has died.

gailany222
#49 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 6:52:30 AM

im busy as bee
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.