Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages <123>
This place is a ghost town Options
jd
#21 Posted : Monday, June 07, 2010 6:38:17 PM

OK.........let's try this on:  Guy basically hates the routine life.  Loves life.  Loves wife.  Loves all sorts of things but hates 'ordinary' routine life with a passion.  Of course, he sublimates those feelings (like a lot of guys) and grinds himself into a frustrated, always-simmering malcontent who packs on weight and watches too much TV and he does it because of the aforementioned wife and the odd 'break out' adventure whenever they can scrape a few bucks together.  

Routine life grates at his sense of justice and fairplay.  Too many people, it seems to him, are living lives of quiet desperation.  He reacts to this by 'standing up and getting counted'.  Sometimes violently.  Mostly politically.  Nothing changes except things get worse.  Despairing, he looks for a way out and stumbles upon an eccentric internet forum that somehow 'speaks' to him. They suggest going off-the-grid. 

But he is aging.  The doofus is 50-something and can only see more of the same on the horizon.  Isn't sure he can hack it in the forest.  Then wife takes ill.  It moves him.  Kicked into gear, he proposes going feral and learning to live again in a more natural place and in a more natural way.  It is hard and fraught with challenges but the two of them prevail.  She recovers.  He loses innate anger.  Was it age or the change?  Who knows.  Life is good.

Details to follow.

Sarah/Librum
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 08, 2010 10:35:57 PM

JD,

I am certainly no expert, but perhaps as vignettes?  (Originally meant "something that may be written on a vine-leaf")(I had to look up the 'english' word).  Little short stories that as a collection build up to a magnum opus.

I suspect it will be like your lifes adventure.  You will have to 'dive in'. 

Maybe that is the answer, just start writing them, in whatever processor you feel most comfortable with.

When you are ready to 'wrap' into ebook format, let me know.  That I certainly can help you with.

Sarah

jd
#23 Posted : Wednesday, June 09, 2010 4:36:08 PM

Thanks, Sarah, vignettes, anecdotes, snippets............maybe.  Sally agrees with you.  I was just hoping to get a theme, a larger story as the vehicle for the smaller ones.  You know:  Sherlock Holmes was a detective into which each individual case normally fell.  The BIG story was that his ability to observe and deduce.  The second story was him and his relationship with Dr. Watson.  The case, itself, was the third level of story.  Sal and I have a wonderful marriage and have had for forty years - that is a story these days.  But, honestly, the story is more hers than mine.  It is she that kept that us together and happy.  So, one thought I had was to tell my story and then, as a continuous sidebar, Sally would comment from her point of view.  

Anyway, further advice will be much appreciated. 

John Stiles
#24 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:13:20 PM

jd,

you have the answer with your question. The largest story is how you deduced the way life was heading and how you altered the path you took, reflects your understanding. The second story is your relationship with your wife and how it progressed through the years.

As one who took much of the same path and also have a long time forever wife I'm looking forward to the details of the stories.

then, John

jd
#25 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 5:38:14 PM

JS
jd
#26 Posted : Friday, June 11, 2010 5:41:30 PM

Forum acted up again.  Lost a much longer message.  Basically it was this:  thanks, JS.  If a guy who has been there still wants to read about something similar, then I am encouraged a great deal.  Still fearful of massive public rejection but, hell, I'll write it off to personal growth if it is that bad.

Done that before.

Thanks.

Neene
#27 Posted : Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:29:53 AM

I still 'lurk' occasionally, but the new forum is pretty hard for me to navigate. It takes me a good 15 to 20 minutes to try to load the forums and another 10 or so to get logged in. Then trying to actually read anything let alone reply..... I am over 40 now... I get easily distracted when things take to long and there are so many other things to do that by the time something gets loaded I have to scratch my head and try to remember where I was at. But that is what happens when you are too cheap to pay for high speed.

I am still around, trying to get land secured. Started into bees over a year ago and killed the $85 package bees I received in 3 days, surely that has to be some type of record? Was lucky and got 2 more hives plus a set of broodboxes and some supers for a more reasonable price and they did pretty good until they hit this last winter with the deep snows. The cold got both hives. After looking around, the guy who held the class last year told me he would get me a swarm and recommended setting up my hives while they were empty to try to draw a swarm around here. Both the swarm trap (modeled off an old skep from the Foxfire series set in the Appalachians) and the brood boxes I set up have and had quite a bit of activity around them even before I set up the hive with the first swarm he got me. I learned off the net that lemongrass essential oil will draw them and it seems to have worked for the swarm trap - I plan on leaving that completely alone until next spring. I also heard that if you have a dead queen and you soak her in alcohol it will pull the pheromone off her and if combined with the essential oil is much more potent. I made a new roof for the modern hives that is modeled off a peaked Warre hive, but plan on trying to make a new top bar hive that is smaller to be able to move the boxes more easily. Work is still slow but still getting almost 40, Had a great garden this year and have only planted a few things. Dug a trench and planted the potatoes that were sprouting in the house from the grocery store - didn't cut didn't peel, just threw them in and covered with straw and they are knee high now. The bee balm I planted last year came back and has quadrupled in size. I planted lemon thyme last year and that has also done the same. The chive bunches along the fence are doing well and my red raspberries actually have blooms on them for the first time - the raspberries and the bee balm are fighting for supremacy in their spot. They must learn to get along! Garlic that I thought was gone came back, and I think I had some tansy that came up in the yard (had fun trying to identify it!!) and I have been busy potting that. How the heck did that get there unless it came in the bird seed?? ... and I am trying take a pottery class that is once a week about an hour away. It is very difficult to spend an hour or so trying to check the forums here. Wondering if somebody could set up another website for some of the originals that would be easier to access since Mother doesn't seem interested in doing so?

I still like the magazine, was thrilled when they did the article on the top bar hive and I liked the last issue they did so I will definitely keep reading. The fact that actors are taking up this cause should be something that is celebrated - more and more people are realizing that this is the future and people will follow where they lead. I think it's pretty cool.

And, yeah, J.D. Since I have seen some of your writing I would be interested in reading you and Sal's story. You do have a way with words!

jd
#28 Posted : Monday, June 14, 2010 5:53:05 PM

Well, it is settled then!  Four confirmed readers does an author make (my readership targets are set  low).  I will embark on a story about how a fat, white couch potato morphed into a wilderness-man and managed to retain his fatness and whiteness in the process.  Challenged by nature, genetics, finances and a wife who can work circles around him, he prevails against popular opinion and, in the process, finds himself not quite as loathsome as he previously thought.  Dirtier, tho.  Bloodier, too.  And mind-numbingly stupid at times.  But still better than before.  Our man has grown! 

In fact, with minor encouragement from his MEN friends, his ego has run amok and he is now endeavouring to tell the world how to do it!!

Yes, of course, it will be a work of fiction regardless of how I tell it. 

Sarah/Librum
#29 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:14:13 PM

It's working!  I actually got the chance to reply.  (censored) forum software!

Neene, long time no see.  We need to get you and Steve together.  I know he used/uses the BBKA for reference in making his own hives, etc.  BBKA is one of the works here at the Librum.  Beekeepers and Bee Keeper Appliances, by Hasluck.  I am trying to reextend an invitation to pay us a visit at www.Librum.us.

JD, again, I apologise at the inability to reply better to you, via this forum. 

Doyle/Sherlock Holmes is not a good example, as there was no real 'introduction' story.  The first was a 'dive in' to a case, and the embellishments in the stories are what built that.  I can not advise you how to write, but my opinion would be to do it this way. 

My second opinion would be to tone down the, umm..., 'professor at the podium' aspects.  I admit my english is not the best, and there have been times I simply did not understand the references you have used.  I am not saying to write to the 'lowest common denominator', as I think it would damage a lot of your distinctive style.

I think I also detect an unasked question of what I read.  It might surprise you to know I read NO fiction.  Most of my reading is done in research for Librum patrons.  When I want to recreation read, I go back to the old Patriarch ledgers, as I enjoy 'crawling into the thought process', and get a lot of honest opinions that way.  I do sometimes wish I could read Majere's sealed ledgers, just to see what he really thought of me.  I think you could write in a similar style, even though yours would not be a 'diary' or 'blog'.  You might want to consider this in order to keep an organization of the works.

Out of curiosity, what are you using, software wise, to write the vignettes?  Are you considering graphics?  etc.  If I had more information in this vein, I could better advise you on what ebook wrapper software is available.

I have a class coming in, to buy text books, a 'macho' class, coopersmithing.  I have to go. 

Sarah

jd
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 15, 2010 6:50:47 PM

"Professor at the podium, eh?"  Hmm........I admit that my kids have made similar observations and that the huge empty space provided me at parties and social gatherings tends to confirm a certain common distaste for my style.  I was hoping it was my breath.  But I had no idea that such pomposity showed up in the forum.  I am grateful for your observation, however.  And will consider it.  Of course, the challenge is to get the leopard to change his spots and still be a leopard.  Or, in my case, you can substitute other animals as you see fit.  My wife regularly substitutes áss' for leopard so I am OK with that.  

Seriously, I confess to liking 'colourful' words and phrases that evoke pictures rather than just information.  That might be a bit off-putting.  But I don't think it was vocabulary so much that you were referring to.  We'll have to wrestle with it, I guess.  I appreciate your offer to help with that.  I'll take you up on it.

I hadn't thought of a separate software program for writing.  Isn't MSWord OK? 

Neene
#31 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 4:18:22 AM

Sara -

Neene, long time no see.  We need to get you and Steve together.  I know he used/uses the BBKA for reference in making his own hives, etc.  BBKA is one of the works here at the Librum.  Beekeepers and Bee Keeper Appliances, by Hasluck.  I am trying to reextend an invitation to pay us a visit at www.Librum.us.

Need to check my e-mail, I guess. Have a hard time negotiating the web sometimes. I imagine Steve is pretty busy, but should check in with him sometime.

I really am interested in making a top bar hive and look to do it before very long. There are bees in this area and I might be able to get another swarm if I try?! Modify the design to include a peaked roof, and the Warre also used a coarse cloth covered with flour paste instead of the wood inner liner and what they called a "quilt," which is a simple frame with material stretched across the bottom and filled with sawdust, dried grass, or something to help modify the humidity inside the hive. Warre felt the nest scent was essential. Opening and closing the hive a lot dissipates that. Wondering if the warmer temps and higher humidity might not be part of the problem beekeepers are experiencing which the quilt would help with? I know the queen lays eggs, from having extensive poultry experience if I keep getting a hen off the nest she may eventually choose not to go back - especially if her health is off for some reason. (Could also be I am just lazy and want the excitement of having a beehive without having to mess with them too much? Hmm??) Have heard that pesticide residue building up in wax that is used year after year may be a contributing factor. That would probably also depend on what the area farmers were using for pesticide and may affect some areas more than others. Also would appreciate having smaller boxes so the honey would not be quite so heavy when it has to be removed. Some of the darn boxes are HEAVY at the size they are! Pretty exciting stuff, science geek that I am!! Had to drop the clay class for now, maybe later.....

JD - I still remember the story you wrote about mediating a divorce with a woman who felt she should have everything only to discover that it was because of very low self esteem... if it is speaking from a podium - I  like the style that you write in and would love hearing more about the 'couch potato' that you are, especially if it included Sal's side of things?

Sarah/Librum
#32 Posted : Sunday, June 20, 2010 9:53:08 PM

Neene, I have heard of a quilt hive.  In my old enclave they did that, but it was more of a fish net than cloth.  I do recall that whenever a wild swarm was captured, they used a standard wood slat hive, but why I do not know.  I also remember them 'melting out' wax sheet slats, conditioning the wax, and then reporing it back into a frame.  Then they would use a wood press to put the hex pattern in the wax.

Other good news, the BBKA was just added to our RD section here and is slated for subindexing. The Demo edition is free.  So is the Indexing section.  Relax, I am not trying to push you to a sale. 

Steve is not talking to me.  I suspect he thinks I will put him to work again.  He was uploading materials for us, and is acting as 'backup'.  I had him upload four dvds of work.  Two to go.  

JD, You are not going to trick me that easy.  Your Sal has earned the right to call you a *ss.  And it is her perogitive to disallow anyone else to use it. 

Sure, there are loads of ebook wrappers for MSWord.  Far too many.  I suspect some are even free.  But PDF is not an option with MSWord, due to ease of cracking. 

Back to work...

Sarah

JeremyAdam
#33 Posted : Friday, July 02, 2010 4:18:31 AM

Hi Jd, sorry I havent gotten a chance to take you up on the website offer yet. Our garden is in full bloom, have been splitting wood, started a new job, and have started bee keeping so im a little buzy at this particular moment. Should settle down here soon though. As far as your book goes I would recomend keeping it below 200 pages. I recomend it for several reasons. First, people can get over whelmed with a super long book. Harry potter got away with it but that was Harry Potter. The attention span of todays readers is not what it used to be. Second, it forces you to tell your story in a concise and to the point manner. keep it simple and entertaining. Third it will leave some information for your blog at a later date or even an expanded second edition or sequel. This being after people ahve already expressed an interest in the first one. As for what I would write about...I would think I would write about why you did what you did and how you did it. Intersperse it with memories that are vital to the story. If not it may just turn into a memoir. memoirs are neat but only if you care about the person whom you are reading about. So far all of us would be interested in your memoir im sure but to everyone else they wouldnt give it a second look. If you make it a why and how I would think it would draw attention from a larger demographic. There are alot of us back to the landers out there and if you show them how or at least help keep thier dream alive that will be worth something to them. 

jd
#34 Posted : Friday, July 02, 2010 5:07:54 PM

No worries, JA.  Plenty of time.  But I am glad you said what you did.  Why and How is basically where I've come to on this project myself.  A story about change and the challenges encountered.  If there is anything 'special' about it, it is our age when the latest change was undertaken.  We went feral at 55.  

Part of my hesitation in telling that story was that there is only a subtle punchline - I am happy now.  Who wants to read of an old man's happiness?  Mind you, I have had decades of unhappiness but most of them were 'bad' childhood years.  There was a lovely transition life between 20 and 50 with Sally that sucked me out of the black pit and put me on solid ground.  But, in the latest section of time, we have both ascended to a level of happiness and so it was that third level of this life lived that was going to make the story line.  I kinda want to keep the 'ghetto/dysfunctional/gypsy life' stuff out of it. 

As for 'getting on with it', I have started.  Only thirty or so pages so far.  And I think I only like half of them.  But, it's a start.  Thank you for still being there.  Yes, Sarah, I know that you are there, too. 

This could be fun. 

John Edward Mercier
#35 Posted : Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:09:19 AM

Any chance we might see just a few pages?

jd
#36 Posted : Tuesday, August 03, 2010 5:43:00 PM

Geez, JEM, that caught me off-guard............................but, I guess so..................let me suggest something else, tho.  I have a few stand-alone pieces.  One on China and Thailand and our time there.  If you want to start with that, it will likely read a bit better than the tome I am struggling with.  I can throw in a few articles, too, that have been published.  If you want. 

And, of course, if you insist, I can pass on the first 50 pages of the book.  It is just that the first few pages I don't like anymore.  So, if it is all the same to you, let's start with China?  And just write to my e-mail and I'll send it to you.  Open to anyone.

I'm a bit sensitive.  Feelings easily hurt.  Especially by tall beautiful women who smile at me (because they are amused, it turns out.  Nothing else.  The pain!  Oh, the agony!)  Still, if you are going to wade through it, please apply a harsh look.  I really want feedback and I really want it honest (unless you are tall, beautiful and female - if so, please just leave me alone.  I just end up depressed). 

jd
#37 Posted : Sunday, August 08, 2010 5:37:47 PM

I am struggling with a blog...........just some ordinary, day-to-day stuff but it involves out
jd
#38 Posted : Sunday, August 08, 2010 5:40:04 PM

I am struggling with writing a blog.  Just day-to-day stuff but it is about living off the grid and it describes some of the stuff I would likely write about if I ever get the gumption to do it.  See:

http://dispatchesfromoff-the-grid.blogspot.com/

John Edward Mercier
#39 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:47:15 AM

Interesting.

Sarah/Librum
#40 Posted : Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:11:36 PM

JD,

I am hoping that this message 'takes'.

I have your blog bookmarked.

Two comments.

First, in your blog it was not clear, but I sincerely hope you and Sally are not intending to weld to galvanized.  DEADLY fumes. 

Second, I think you need to spend more time at the Librum.  I know you have a master set, but we are always adding.  Newest is HEG.  Hawkins Electrical Guide.  All volumes.  The index(s) take time, but you will find the information you need for all the different phases and how wired.

OK, a third comment.  The 2005 NEC (latest is 200 has solar panel information in it.  You should be able to find one for free, as out of date.  And do not overlook the 'CodeCheck' series.  I would not recommend you buy, but they are quite popular here at the Librum's research desk.

Sarah