Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages 123>
This place is a ghost town Options
John Stiles
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2010 3:15:47 PM

Lame? Yes, but some of my best friends are lame. What happened? This site crashed a few years back and was rebuilt but it never recovered. The best way to get it going is to contribute and convince others to. There is activity but it's not as chatty as it was. Mostly, folks with problems get some help.

John Edward Mercier
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 12, 2010 4:24:43 PM

Sorry, just very busy with local things.

Sarah/Librum
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2010 3:41:55 PM

JeremyAdam
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 13, 2010 5:33:15 PM

I remember when I left there were a bunch of technical issues going on but i figured it would have recoverd by now. I checked in for the first time in a few years and discovered that the posts I was replying to were from 2007. This place needs pared down and cleaned. less categories, more updates, more participation. I will participate if others will join. Until then I guess I will start posting more.

Sarah/Librum
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:11:59 PM

Jeremy,

Forums are now passe.  Today with these social network things, like facebook, that is.  And forums have become a dime a dozen, with the advent of so many different ones to choose from.  We even have one at the Librum, but nobody uses it.

There is, in Mothers case, an aspect I suspect you are not aware of.  There is history here, the forum, in the past caused some legal issues.  Ogden is a commercial entity, and anything that impacts the bottom line is unwanted.  While Majere did assist, it was rough for a while there.  IMHO, Mother would prefer to see the forum to 'fade away'.

The new software is NOT optimized for dial-up users.  I rarely can post a message due to this.  This kills most of my participation, and I have no doubt others.  Mother has not corrected the issues, showing the desire to let it 'die'.

But good to see you post.  I have high speed connection about once a week, so can try to respond, occasionally.

Sarah

Pat Miketinac
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 22, 2010 3:46:08 AM

I am still using an 8 year old computer with XP and a dial-up connect speed of 50667 and have not had trouble posting. I was told by a Windows rep that Windows 7 does not like dial-up, but I don't know. For my limited computer use I may be better off using XP again in my next computer. Anybody out there using Windows 7 and dial-up to post here?

jd
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 5:04:21 PM

As you can tell from my previous post 'WHAT IS WRONG WITH US',  I agree with you.  I had no idea that forums were passe', tho.  I don't tweet or facebook and so, for me, this was still the way to go.  Surprised, I am.  Participating, I am not.  Maybe we let ér die if MEN wants that?  Shame, tho. 

It was this forum and MEN that helped inspire me to go feral and off the grid.  I owe them.  But, to be fair, they don't feel as if I do.  I offered to write a column for them.  No thanks, they said.  I offered to write a book for them.  No thanks, they said.  Heidi suggested they reconsider........'no thanks', they said.  Further contact on the subject has not been answered.  I guess the affiliation I feel for MEN is not reciprocated.  I guess the feeling of belonging (a la the forum) is not wanted.  I guess I should just buy the t-shirt and go. 

Unrequited love is tough.

So, if I am checking out (and I won't for a month or so), let me bid you all adieu and say that I have enjoyed my time here immensely.  I feel as if I have some friends and I hope we remain in touch one way or the other.  It was good while it lasted. 

JeremyAdam
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:49:33 PM

THere is alot to consider there. I agree that forums are a dime a dozen. I used to be attached at the hip to this place and then one day i just stopped coming. I didn't figure it was the same with everyone though. JD if mother isn't interested in your writing then forget them. Market it yourself. I for one would be super interested and if you ever want to set up a website I would be happy to help you build it. ( at no cost of course) I think that the way to get the brass to pay attention to the forums is for us to be more participitory. They should be interested in what we say as we are a very active focus group. We talk about what we want to talk about which allows them super in depth access to their target market. If they can't understand that im not surprised. The magazine has been going down for sometime. I have every issue since the first one and I can tell you Im not sure why I even get it anymore. Who cares about Julie-Louise-Dreyfus' multi million dollar "green" home. Whomever is in charge now should take the time to go read the back issues and see where they went wrong. I kind of rambled there but It would be a great loss if you left JD.

jd
#9 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 2:10:37 AM

Wow!  Nice reply.  Thanks.  I don't deserve it but I'll take it.  I suspect that I will still 'leave', tho.  Not for any other reason than that the friends I had here don't seem to visit much anymore.  I don't blame them.  Life goes on.  But it is nice, once in awhile, to make the connection again. 

Sarah keeps it alive.  P-45 keeps it alive and JA - you also just breathed life back into the corpse.  DavisonH.  Steve.  Ad-garden.  All the 'ladies'.  Paratrooper (nuttier than a fruitcake but still fun).  Street (even nuttier) and, of course, the elusive JEM.  These people and many more keep me coming back and some have become real-life friends (DavH, P-45, Steve, Sarah) in the sense that we communicate directly now and then rather than wait for the forum. 

So, let me make that even more clear - if you want to stay in touch (anyone) then please use the following e-mail: jdavidcox@hughes.net.

And, as for you, JA - you may just have committed yourself to a deal.  I do need a website.  I do need someone to 'manage it'.  I wouldn't know a server from a waitress, an ISP from a speech impediment.  But I do want to write our story.  Its not a Hemingwayesque novel-in-the-making, it is just a story.  But I'd like to write it.  It would be about two lower-to-middle class worker types who raise a family in the burbs but have an adventure streak that keeps on into their late fifties.  They used to do neat stuff like live on sailboats and travel and follow their hearts but children and mortgages eventually weighed them down until they couldn't take it anymore.  Thankfully the kids were grown and so they ran away to the forest and began a new life of learning to live off-the-grid. 

Like I said - no Pullitzer - but interesting enough for me to read it if I wasn't the one writing it. 

Want in?

JeremyAdam
#10 Posted : Monday, May 24, 2010 4:33:59 AM

Im in. I will get with you via email soon to set up an Idea. Im sure it is a fascinating story. Reminiscent of "Reports from them thats doin'"

John Edward Mercier
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 5:35:55 PM

I think the problem is the forum design... actually the design of the entire site. Electronic publishing really gives a more dynamic format to the presentation of information and advertising. But the site isn't really set up well for that.

ginger71
#12 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2010 9:08:09 PM

Hey JD, when you get your book written and are ready to see it in print, try the services at www.Lulu.com. They charge nominal fees for your book, but the buyer pays them, not you, to get it in print form.  Plus, you can get whatever royalties you want (just keep it in a low-end ballpark for me, will ya?), even as an E-Book.

BTW, working full time and coming home late doesn't mean I don't still think about this place and all of you.  I still daydream.  If this forum were to shut down, there's a whole host of terrific information that would or could go out into the poof with it.  What a horrid shame!

Ogden Publishing, there is more to the bottom line than the almighty dollar.  I read your publications online as often as possible and click on your advertisers, too.  Take away TMEN's forums (the REAL "Them Thats Doin'") and you may as well close up the whole caboose.

Keep it real.  See ya soon.

Farside
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2010 9:00:57 PM

Wow... The place is still alive, barely.  It's been a while since my last post and I figured "they" had succeeded in running everyone off.

Jeremy, nice to see you again; as well as everyone else.  JD, good luck on your story.John, John, Sarah, Pat, Ginger and anyone I missed... hello to you all.

As for me, I've been busy with the job, bees, life, and now chickens.  Yep, building a chicken tractor (almost finished now) similar to the style found on catawba coops dot com.  I didn't buy the plans, just looked at the photos, read the FAQ and started building.  The least I could do is give them their props.

Anyway guys, I thought I would drop in to see who's still posting.  Well, gotta run... be cool ya'll.

The Big Lebowski
#14 Posted : Monday, May 31, 2010 7:18:16 AM

Well its been just about a year for me....for me I have been doing a little traveling and actually JD been in Vancouver since last September...thought about you a few times.

The forum was wonderful untill they shut down a few years back for a few months and didn't inform any of us of what the heck was going on. It was from that point the forums here died out..folks just scattered and realize there was other things to do.

The nice thing though was through my travels I spent a couple of weeks with Nantinki, wanted to get together with Steve and grandma diane but couldn't but I'm leaving in a month and will try to touch base with them. So I do have gratitude for the forum for meeting some folks. But like I said, since they shut it down for a few months a few years back it just didn't come back.

My two cents

Sarah/Librum
#15 Posted : Friday, June 04, 2010 4:38:25 PM

JD said: "I do need a website.  I do need someone to 'manage it'.  I wouldn't know a server from a waitress, an ISP from a speech impediment.  But I do want to write our story.  Its not a Hemingwayesque novel-in-the-making, it is just a story.  But I'd like to write it.  It would be about two lower-to-middle class worker types who raise a family in the burbs but have an adventure streak that keeps on into their late fifties.  They used to do neat stuff like live on sailboats and travel and follow their hearts but children and mortgages eventually weighed them down until they couldn't take it anymore.  Thankfully the kids were grown and so they ran away to the forest and began a new life of learning to live off-the-grid. 

Like I said - no Pullitzer - but interesting enough for me to read it if I wasn't the one writing it."

I am away from the enclave, at MCC, begging for the resourses to finish the Librum project.  Sad to say, we all need the $$$ to make anything worthwhile.

If you need a platform, there are several who are 'starving' for such content/input.  I would offer the one forum at the Librum, but we are not a good match.  Shop around.  There be sites that want the 'our homesteading story', and some will pay. 

Sarah

jd
#16 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:06:09 PM

Thanks, Sarah, for the support.  With you, Ginger and JA, I may have three books sold (except to you guys they would be free).  If there is real interest there, I'll do it. 

But, perhaps, you could (any of you on this thread ) answer a few questions first............is it our mental, emotional, time-of-life state that is of interest?  Is it our amateur, innocence that appeals?  Our 'take a chance' attitude?  Or is it more the nuts and bolts of it - how to, what to do first, what to do yourself and what to pay-for information that is of interest?  Do you want to read a chronology of events or a collection of experiences and anecdotes?  Does the area, itself, hold interest? The comparison of lifestyles?  What is the story for you?

I, personally, don't know.  That is why it hasn't been written.  At first it was the angst and pointlessness of the rat race, the boredom of the 'routine', the commute, the TV, the lawn and trying to 'get rich' when I had little interest in it.  Then it was the question of living differently, the 'backyard knowledge' of it and the weirdos and eccentrics who talked about it on MEN.  Then came the expertise they shared and their sense of community that drew me in. I started to feel a sense of belonging to a disparate and varied group - the MEN forum.  I began to add others to this group from salvage yards, junk stores, cabin owners and others who were, in their own way, looking for something different or actively engaged in it in some way - like my propane appliance guy who dreamed of the forest more than I did. 

By the time my gorgeous wife's beautiful smile began to fade from the rigours of doing the 'rut' work of daily life in the city, it struck me that I had to change our lives.  But I had no idea how.  If I knew what I wanted, I would have done it.  So, I just explored with MEN and the net and eventually came up with 'building my own house' as some sort of man-thing to do before I die. 

And so, we leapt.  A leap of faith.  A roll of the dice.  Sold everything and bought tools.  It was encouraged by a growing sense of 'green',  an abandoning of the hoped for riches, an appreciation for having our basic health and the fatigue that begins to grow on you after 50.  We had a sense of time running out.  Me more than Sally but still, we were both feeling our age.

Of course, in retrospect, it was the huge learning curve and the thrill of climbing it that kept us going on despite some interesting challenges.  And that learning curve is still going on.  And we learned that learning is the spice of life.  It is what makes every day interesting again. 

So - it is easy to say, "Hey!  That is the story!" But I don't think so.  I think it has to be more focused.  The topic and the content more of a single message around which all the rest flows.  

What do you think?

jd
#17 Posted : Saturday, June 05, 2010 7:10:22 PM

OK, this is a crazy question.....................but.......................how many pages?  I could fill a tome if I just kept writing.  I could easily write 500 pages.  Do people read that much anymore?  What do you expect in a book like this one?

Frosty
#18 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2010 9:19:10 AM

I don't know whose opinion you want, but I'll throw in my two cents worth... I would be interested in the human point of view.  Stories of success and failure.  Feelings, the highs and the lows.  I love to listen to the stories that older folks tell, of what they saw and did in their life.  They just fascinate me.  Like an older gal down the road from me telling me about how they taught the kids in school how to use a telephone.  Nobody had phones back then.  She told me about the convoys of cars going down the road in the middle of the night, and how her sister would get scared by them.  They were the boot leggers, during prohibition.  She talked about where folks hid the booze, a lot of times in corn shocks in the fields.  And about how a guy delivering mail lost control of his car and hit a corn shock and broke the jugs.  To me, to go with just the nuts and bolts, while undoubtedly valuable information, would be dry reading.  I would love to read about... your stories.    

jd
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:25:27 PM

Thanks, Frosty.  I appreciate the comments.  I really do. 

Truth is, some friends have said the same thing.  And I got stories - lots o' stories.  Trouble is they are not always connected to one another.  Most of them are stand-alone, incidents of an individual nature.  I went to 13 different schools before I graduated.  Hitched to San Francisco to see the hippies in 1966, lived with three different women before I was 21, lived on a sailboat, worked for government, traveled globally, developed real estate, raced motorcycles professionally, had 30+ street fights after the age of 21 (too many to count before 21) and ended up a mediator and arbitrator.  And I have been married for 40 years and have two great kids.  And that isn't half of it.  Really.  Not even half.  

I don't want to fill the book with a bunch of anecdotes that have no connection (well, they all have one connection - 'trying to do the right thing') but, really, it would not read well.

I can include that sort of thing as colour and background but what is the book about that gets me to the forest?  Is it a story to leave the cul de sac and build your own cabin?  Yes.  And No.  Most people stay in the cul de sac, of course.  But some take summer weeks off for decades to build their own cabin.  Not a lot different.  Are we just extreme cul-de-sac-ers? 

Building with one hand while holding the pages open on the latest DIY book is a story.  Amateurs smashing their thumbs and putting on roofing upside down - that sort of thing.  But that is nuts and bolts stuff, really.  Dangerous encounters with propellers, bears, storms and chainsaws is good but, really, for how many pages?  Leaving middle class and careers?  Done by lots.  We all should. 

I really appreciate what you said, Frosty.  But I need more.  Not more content so much as more 'thread',  more 'message'.  What would someone want to hear about from me? 

Pat Miketinac
#20 Posted : Monday, June 07, 2010 4:00:53 AM

jd, I would suggest focusing on things that readers are unlikely to find in any other book. For example, I could write about how to build your own earth sheltered home mortgage-free, but that has already been done by Rob Roy far better than I could write it. I could probably write about how to fix things that are not designed to be repaired, but I doubt that there would be a market for it! It sounds like you have a lot to tell that would help others in many ways. Good Luck!