Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Bees in the neighborhood Options
sea_goin_dude
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:55:33 AM

Just a bit on having bee hives with neighbors close around. Several years ago I had a couple of hives. I got calls from police etc of swarms and enjoyed picking them up and placing them in hives. Had one swarm that was about the size of a basketball early in summer. They filled out the frames and filled a super with honey in just 6 weeks!!!!!!  Anyway for any new bee keepers out there, if you have a weak or overly agressive hive, you can always order a new queen. easily replaced in the hive. Just order one from a bee supplier. One near here in Georgia is DaDant in Hahira Ga. They ship the new queen with a few workers in a little box with water / sugar candy and with instructions on requeening a hive. Pretty easy to do. Just go in the hive, find the old queen, kill her, put the new queen, in her little box in between the frames and let the bees release her and after 22 days your hive will begin to change to be exactly like the new queen. After all the older bees have died off your hive will be completely new far as production, attitude etc.

Always enjoyed working with my hives except for the heat and I always wore coveralls and head net.

One problem with bees in and around neighbors is that if the hive is distrubed abruptly like I hit mine with the lawnmower one time and rocked it pretty good.......the bees will ATTACK ANYTHING WITHIN RANGE. Mine went after my dog and pet goat. They were very bad and dangerous so this should be a warning as if anything like this happens and there are people kids pets etc near they could be in danger. Especially if they are alergic to stings. This was the only incident that I had but after I did move my hives out in the country to a friends place to prevent anything from happening.

Isolated incident for sure but you have to be aware of the possible dangers. I never had any other problems up until this time.

To better adapt your hives to blend in to the neighborhood better, be sure to face the hive entrance where the bees flight path won't cross walks etc where they may encounter people pets etc. You can paint the hives green brown etc so they won't be as visible to folks and they wont be aware of bees in the "hood'. Otherwise as I have read before, anyone stung will surely blame it on you because you do have a hive or two.

They are really interesting and the honey is good. These bee farms like DaDant and others have books and all the fixings to get you started. Find another bee keeper to help you out. You can buy the bees in packs of 2, 4, 6 pounds etc.2 pounds will be enough / with the queen, to start early in the summer season. You can get all the bees you want by letting the police etc that you are a beekeeper and give them your number. You will get lots of calls because folks are afraid of bees and want to get them out of their yards. I would go after them if they were withing 10 feet of the ground or so. I'd go near dark, get on ladder and shake as many of the bees as possible in a 5 gallon bucket, usually you will get the queen with the biggest part of the swarm. Shake the limb, jerk it, hard enough that most of the bees go in the bucket, then (I'd have a new empty hive in the back of my truck camper shell) dump all the bees in and on the the hive, they are looking for a place to "stay" and as I said near dark, within 15 or 20 minutes every bee including the ones you left in the tree/bush will be inside the hive and all you need to do is drive them home and unload the hive in the dark and you are ready to enjoy your new hive of bees. Usually by shaking as many of the bees in the swarm in the bucket, you will surely get the queen and ALL THE BEES will follow her into the hive.

There are afew bee keepers around who have glass or plastic hives and you can see the bees working. they are even sold as "observation hives" Some are as big as a regular hive and some only have  two or three frames in them but they are really neat to watch. They have to be covered or enclosed to protect the bees from direct sun light and the high heat.

Haven't looked but sure there are beekeeping forums with more info than you'll ever need.

Check em out and have fun with your bees. Very interesting stuff.

PS I have not encountered any "AFRICANIZED BEES" but if you do, requeen the hive and after a few weeks the agressive bees will be gone and you will have a calm, better temperment hive that you can enjoy.

Farside
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:55:33 AM

Nice article, very thoughtful and interesting.  One thing I would add for anyone wanting to purchase a queen for requeening purposes...  make your bee purchase locally if possible and from a northern tier supply house to minimize getting an africanized queen.  (just my take on it)...