Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

The Chicken Who Wants To Live In The House Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Friday, June 13, 2008 8:41:16 AM

You need to cover the pen, possibly run a strand of electric fence around the outside, a bit off of the ground.  Or lock them up at night... sounds like raccoon to me.  I had a family of them hanging out here, they got in with my call ducks and ripped them all apart.  They also attacked an adult turkey, she survived the attack but later died from the injuries. 

Also wanted to add... maybe put a diaper on the chicken?  Orpingtons are terrific chickens, one of my favorites.   

Bridgette
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 14, 2008 4:04:26 AM

I didn’t consider running electric fencing around the coop but that’s a wonderful idea.  As I have only the one chicken who obviously is to scared to stay in the coop, I'll consider it for when I do get more chickens.  I put him out during the day and he does just fine.  But once again, evening came...and there he was perched looking into the house all pitiful and tapping at the window.

I did actually try to fit him with a diaper, which I might add was hilarious because at the time I figured you had referred to a standard baby diaper.  After 15 minutes, 3 different sizes of diapers, and one puzzled chicken I concluded defeat and goggled it.  I did find a pattern for a diaper for house chickens.  Go figure!  I'll give it a try.  I don’t have a problem if he wants to come in at night and is willing to wear a diaper.  I will admit I feel a little odd about it but he's such a gentle bird (I'm use to flighty bantams).
sea_goin_dude
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:08:48 AM

Racoons maybe but probably big rats. I had the same thing happen to my homing pigeons years ago. They were as you described, heads off and just ripped to pieces. Try a couple of big rat traps around and you will probably find your killer critters.

I know this is an old thread but HEY I READ IT so maybe others will also

Bridgette
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:08:48 AM

This early spring i invested in some Rhode Island red chickens as well as 3 Buff Orpington (just to try).  I raised them in my master bathroom and after that I moved them to there coop. They were of a pretty hefty size.  A week ago I went out to feed the birds and all but 3 had been killed.  Kinda graphic (Most had there heads eaten off and one was torn to bits).  I thought it must be dogs or something but it was odd that they wouldn’t carry off the carcasses so maybe a possum or large rat?  Well anyways the next day only one chicken remained and that was my son's pet Buff Orpington rooster, "Mr. Butters". 

Mr. Butters was very odd acting obviously seeing as he probably witnessed the assault first hand.  I decided to let him run free around the yard seeing as he'd stand a better chance of survival this way.  I noticed the other day he would spend most his time sitting on the living room window sill looking in which I thought odd of the normally stand -off ish Mr. Butters.  But now he's also taken to running indoors when you open the door.  I think this might have something to do also with the bad weather we have been having however he's taken to following us around as well.  I let him in the house tonight because he was pecking nonstop at the door!!!  As we speak now he is contently cleaning himself in the master bathroom on a bed of newspapers.  Any suggestions?!?

I'm thinking more chicken friends might do him good but even then I'm not sure.  I'd rather resolve my current pest problem before investing in more chickens.