Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Great GRAVY Options
sea_goin_dude
#1 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2011 4:10:27 AM

Some of you try making gravy and it turns out so so and lots of lumps etc. Let me tell you the right way to do it. Some recipe books tell you to mix flour and water to start NOT NOT NOT ........DO NOT MIX FLOUR AND WATER unless you want paste.

After you cook your meat, burgers, chicken, bacon etc, pour off most of the grease, saving the good brown stuff. add to this maybe a table spoon of flour. You will learn how much after you make it a few times. the more flour you put in the more gravy you will have. I don't add salt because your meat was probably seasoned. BUT if you feel you need more you can add salt and pepper TO TASTE. Now let the flour cook  in the drippings until it gets brown. Again, you will learn how dark you want is after a while. It must brown some to take on the flavor of the meat drippings. If you do not let it brown, it will look and taste like flour paste, like some of the fast food places. Hardees has good gravy to my taste. Anyway, after the flour has browned to where you think It shoud be, (stir it as it browns) add water or milk while stiring it until the flour takes up all the liquid. You do not want it too thick so you may add a bit more as it cooks. It will thicken a bit more so check it to see if you need to thin it a bit.

To start do not add too much flour or you will have a tub full of gravy /WorkArea/threadeddisc/emoticons/biggrin.png First time I made gravy (remembering from watching my mom cook) I added too much flour and had a POT FULL of gravy. It was very good and my dog enjoyed it as much as I did.

You can add onions, pepper or any other flavorings if you want. First time just try a small amount and then go from there. By stirring in the flour in the meat drippings and adding the water/milk after it has browned, You won't have LUMPY gravy.

Just be sure to let the flour brown (while stirring constantly) and again you will be able to judge just how dark you want it as you cook it more and more. As I said, If you do not brown it, It will taste YUCKY and like flour paste.

Some basic thing are so easy if you just have somebody show you like gravy and cornbread......mmmmm getting hungry here. I will post cornbread recipe later.

Lots of recipes call for flour and add baking powder etc. We, in the south ALWAYS USE SELF RISING FLOUR and corn meal. No need for baking powder / soda.

If this helps any of you newbies, let me know.

I have thousands of recipes and probably a hundred cookbooks but I really learned by watching my mom cook when I was a kid.

Just FYI'  I eat at waffle houses often and their gravy is or tastes like flour paste with bits of sausage mixed in. The reason is that they throw everything in a pot and boil it a few minutes without browning the flour. They are following their directions (the waffle house way) and a lot of their food tastes like S___

They also serve it either like lumpy tar or water thin. Just that the cooks and the company could give a damn whether their food is anygood or not. 

Folks cooking just takes a bit of experience and a lot of caring and thinking to make your food so much better for you and yours.

They have all the ingredients but the cooks don't have a clue and are not told to do any different.

As I said earlier, Hardees gravy is pretty good to me and they use almost the same ingredients, but the company seems to give a D--- about what they serve to their customers, They use a good bit of pepper too and I like that.