Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Growing Crops without bees Options
practicalman45
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:18:01 AM

I heard that broadcast on Coast to Coast AM radio also. It sounds scary, I hope they're wrong. Anyways, I'm in Southwest Oregon here in a rural area about 30 to 40 miles from the coast. We still have loads of hummingnirds here and I have seen honeybees this spring on my plum and apple tree blossoms. Not sure if the bees are reduced in numbers here or not, but I'm still seeing some....Theres many other pollinator type insects around here such as carpenter bees and various flies and wasps. We are also just loaded with birds and wildlife around here too. I'm adding a few more fruit trees in my orchard this spring. I'm going to be optomistic about them bearing fruit in the future. Maybe we'll be hand-pollinating our own fruit, who knows?

desertlites
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2007 5:31:27 PM

greetings from southern Az-hummers are here as every year,desert willow just bloomed and was full of bees-have been hearing bout this bee thing for a year or so now(sounds a little scary)have a few neighbors that keep bees and yes they are not returning-they say has happened in the past-will have to wait&see.will be difficult to live without bees.
NorthCountryWood
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 22, 2007 3:31:39 PM

I just heard them talking about a study in the area to confirm/debunk the story about cell towers being to blame. Or maybe it's the anti-cellphone folks trying to get noticed. Either way, I think this (bees, not cell phones) is something we need to be concerned with.

I've always believed that mankinds undoing would be something we brought upon ourselves but would dismiss as insignificant. This could be just such an event.

John Edward Mercier
#4 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 12:08:36 AM

Though I don't have a cell phone; I believe they use a restricted band of radio waves... so I would hope that the studies are conclusive and quickly forthcoming.

This is far too important to be any group's 'talking point' to meet their political desires.

zoebisch01
#5 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 3:02:20 PM

Not sure how up to date my information is but I heard that they are not dying in the East, but rather leaving. This happened in France due to a pesticide that was widely being used and the country banned it.  Since then the numbers have come back.  The West coast is experiencing a different problem. 

That all being said, this is the main reason to encourage native populations of flora on your property in close proximity to your crops.  The reason being is that there are tons of pollinators out there aside from bees.  A solid stand of Buckwheat left to flower in the midst of the garden is also a huge help at drawing the pollinators.  I was amazed last year at what numbers of insects the Buckwheat draws.  They then can go to work on the rest of the garden.

davisonh
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2007 4:32:00 AM

Yes I agree this issue is far,far too important for any political groups' focal point because this issue affects all of civilization,not just the 'green' people or the right wingers,this is a serious problem because  what honeybees, and wasps and other pollinators do is far too expensive and difficult for civilization to do by itself.It has to be adressed and soon.We cant live without them and many other species cant either.

I think this is an issue where the feds may have to seriously consider doing something about it(though I fear what that may be,lol)or society in general will have to and soon.Really,its THAT serious.If it means the cellphones go,they go,just the way it'll have to be till we figure a way around the problem.If its a pesticide then that'll have to go,we cant live without plants and neither can cows,hogs,goats,etc that we depend on for food and we're not talking apple trees,etc,I'm talking  about the staples,wheat,corn,rice...Bees are able  to pollinate plants at an incredible rate because they go right to the stamens and pistils of the flower where the nectar is.Theres no way we could do that with minimal expense that I know of,it;d have to be done by hand....yes every flower.Ya cant just fly a plane over a field with pollen and expect it to take with any efficiency,does'nt work that way..

turtlehead
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 03, 2007 5:28:00 PM

While we're not beekeepers, we are planning on getting into it.  We have our hives put together and are awaiting the arrival of two colonies of bees we ordered.

I heard some folks chatting at the place we got our bee supplies and some folks around here (WV) have lost 75% of their hives. 

The potential impact does frighten me.  Not so much for my own home garden, because we have other pollinators and could plant extra to offset reduced pollination - but for the national food supply.

I was surprised to find out that many beekeepers make money by keeping hundreds of hives and trucking them around the country  to pollinate various crops as they come into flower.  They charge around $50 per hive and without them many crops would fail (almonds are a good example).

If large commercial crops fail due to lack of hives being trucked around, that could be bad news. 
JAK
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:41:50 PM

Beekeepers in New Brunswick, Canada are reporting 80% losses from their outdoor hives. The article said they don't think it is CCD because it hasn't come to Canada yet and there are many things that can cause such die off. I don't get that. The bees are missing from the hives, just as in the states. I don't see why they think CCD stops suddenly at the Maine / New Brunswick border. Here are some articles:

http://www.canadaeast.com/ce2/docroot/article.php?articleID=143116

http://www.atlanticfarmfocus.ca/index.cfm?iid=2447&sid=20632

http://cba.stonehavenlife.com/2007/05/winter-bee-losses-in-new-brunswick/#more-54

Is it just me, or is the reporting on this absolute crap. They keep talking about possible causes of death rather than possible causes of bees leaving the hives and then dieing, which is what is happening. Why all the misinformation?

JAK
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2007 12:17:44 AM

This is supposed to be the definitive site for information on CCD and other bee stuff.

It's rather technical, but I guess it needs to be.

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/ColonyCollapseDisorder.html

GuyG
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:19:11 PM

Bees have a symbotic relationionship based on territory and other factors.  Not too long ago Bees in Africa were cross bread from a neighboring alternate breed with disasterious consequences, cloning occured which ended with not only undesireable results but they had to distroy all the hives in the area affected to stop the genetic intermigling.

It just may be that the Northern and east Coast bees are being affected by the infultration of Africanized  bees here in the south. 

In Africa the bees are worked successully paying special attention to their temperment.  Experts have suggested that it is possible that we may have to learn how to work with these bees.  The problem is that as the european bees from the northeast becomes unavailable hives that exceed 50% Africanization cannot be recolonoized to the less agressive state. All hives in the south have some percentage of Africanization.

CJ
#11 Posted : Saturday, November 27, 2010 3:19:11 PM

Hi, I am working on finding a place where I can do some farming and live independently.  I have been involved in some land swap negotiations.  I have a residential lot in FL to trade for a homestead property.  However, I have been following some news about the disappearence of honey bees lately that is disturbing.  I have heard that most bee keepers are finding empty hives.  I think it is being called CCD, colony collapse disorder, or something simular. I heard that Albert  Einstine once said that if the honey bees all die out, mankind will vanish within 3 or 4 years.  This was brought up on a radio program recently, (coast to coast am)  and it makes me wonder if this is really a problem to address now.  If this is true, it won't be too long till the food riots start.  I suppose that small farms may be able to hand pollinate enough crops for family use.  Last night, I heard someone else report that the humming birds are also not returning this year.  Are there any bee keepers on this forum?  CJ