Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

CHICKEN POX Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Friday, August 06, 2010 4:35:08 AM

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner... Chicken Pox and Fowl Pox are two different viruses, I wouldn't worry.  

From your other post about how high turkeys can fly... I have seen them perch on a 6' fence, as well as fly up to lower branches in a tree that are 10' up.  But if their area is big enough, they will likely stay in unless they decide to perch on the top of the fence for the night and jump down on the other side in the morning.  Or if they perch for the night in a tree close to the fence... Usually they go to the same area to sleep every night so if you get them used to sleeping on a perch that is well away from the fence, that will help.  How are your turkeys doing?

radical mama
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 05, 2010 9:15:46 PM

thank you. as it turns out, the 2 y.o. may have had a short stint of pox & the 5y.o.- nothing. turkeys & chickens faired well...

overall, turkeys did well. we lost the runt after a few days & 2 to a raccoon who pulled them through the small octogonal chicken wire.... sad.

they are pretty big now, maybe close to 2 pounds- they weigh about  the same as my silkie chickens (bantams).  they were the heritage breed mix from mcmurray's, so i need to ID them to breed, think it would be fun to know for future reference & maybe work it into the kids school studies.

we have not moved yet & have the turkeys in a rapidly shrinking wired area made from chicken wire & grape posts, with a net top & a (now very) small a frame structure for shelter. we are waiting to do more for them with hopes that we will have moved before they get too big!  thanks for the advice, i've been thinking that we might try clipping their wings to start so they don;t fly too far & get used to home-- worked with the chickens! well see....

thanks so much frosty for all your great advice & concern!

radical mama
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 05, 2010 9:15:46 PM

Hello!

My partially vaxed children have the chance to be exposed to chicken pox-- this is a shot we chose not to expose them to. The only concern I have is that we have week old turkeys in the house right now & am afraid of them being exposed -- have all the medical info on dealing with human beings & 'the pox', but not tiny fluffy creatures!

Should I be concerned about my turkeys or chickens if my kids do end up with chicken pox?

MUCH THANKS!