Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

health insurance? Options
John Edward Mercier
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:55:29 AM

Very dependent on your situation.

Most homesteaders maintain employment within the job market... the homesteading is more a means of cost savings and quality of life enhancement.

chickory
#2 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 1:19:02 PM

Ditto here, I know at least two couples who maintain at least minimum employment just to get reasonable health insurance.  Both couples are past retirement age but the one job keeps them covered.

With one of the couples the wife has a job as a receptionist for an alternative doctor.  Great job and she has the resources of the doc for anything but broken bones or 'major' stuff and he also provides insurance.  Sounds like something I wouldn't mind doing when I retire.

radical mama
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:57:50 AM

We recently struggled with the same dilemma. We chose to keep the insurance for our kids (even though we do not use it) and forego the insurance for ourselves. We were paying out of pocket for alternative care for the whole family anyway, so it seemed that we were paying twice, in our opinion.

Check out Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes, she discusses how many families like us handle the decision. It helped us a lot.

HTH!

fishinAK
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 04, 2010 1:57:50 AM

Hello all

First, thanks for all the help this forum has already provided!

So My wife and I are sick to death of our current crazy hectic lifestyle.  for some time we have been researching and aquireing skill to homestead.  One unanswered question remains...What the heck do ya do about the golden handcuffs (health ins)?  just go w/o?  I have a new baby and a 2 yr old, so no ins is not an option for me.

Thanks for any and all thoughts