Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Protection from groundhogs... practical experiences? Options
davisonh
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 03, 2010 1:05:26 AM

I think the best thing I've seen done yet was to dig a ditch along the edge of the garden 8"-16" deep or more and run hardware cloth or chicken wire along in the ditch,then fill the ditch in on both sides with the chicken wire sticking up to it's width.I think once they get hung up on that chicken wire they'll pretty much quit trying.

Dan
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 03, 2010 7:39:59 PM

wadeMD wrote:

So, has anyone had any luck with options for preventing groundhogs from obliterating their gardens?  Any practical experience or experimental options that have worked?

I have a had great success using a product called Danger Zone.  The pesky woodchucks a deer would much down all my plants.  Maybe worth checking out.  Good luck with your garden.

Danger Zone Repellent 

John Stiles
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:45:59 PM

I took 3ft wide, 12ft long sections of used coated aluminum roofing. Ran it the long way and buried it half way down, 18in. Above this we ran 4ft hard wire garden fence and overlapped the roofing by 6 in. Used cedar poles to hold it all up. Might put electric wire along the top but only if raccoons become a problem

The woodchucks went from totally invasive to nothing, once we tightened up our gates a bit. It was fun to watch them fling themselves against the fence and try to borrow under it. Far better than shooting or keeping a dog.

eric65
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:34:36 AM

Shoot it

zukario
#5 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 5:58:43 AM

I think it is best for you to hire a pest control to take care of these groundhogs

All about rat repellent|All about rat traps|All about rat bait|All about kill rats|Common mistakes get rid of rats

wadeMD
#6 Posted : Monday, August 23, 2010 5:58:43 AM

I recently moved into a farming community in Maryland.  We have a nicely sized yard and have been planning a fairly large garden. The problem is, now that it is getting warmer, we realized that the yard has a resident groundhog.  It has opened its burrows up and I caught site of it once as my dog chased it over the fence.

Currently, the plan is to build raised beds, leaving the grass intact between them.  The beds will be 1 foot off of the yard.

I have a 4' electric fence/net that I will be using, that is graded on the lower portion down to ~1x2" squares.  The fence is intended to be protective of my little flock of 8 ducks (we have lots of foxes around), but is plenty long enough to surround the garden area as well.  However, I am concerned that a groundhog that is hungry might go right under the electric fence.

So, has anyone had any luck with options for preventing groundhogs from obliterating their gardens?  Any practical experience or experimental options that have worked?