Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Introductions Options
Dorene
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 21, 2007 4:29:34 PM

welcome redmatrix, I bumped up the introduce yourself thread in the reader to reader department, I suppose newer people could start here if they wanted to. The other one is getting really long.
RedMatrix
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 30, 2007 12:19:23 PM

Thanks. I am a forum administrator, and I like having a clear place marked for ice breaking! I hope to learn a lot here, and perhaps build relationships.
Digger62
#3 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 3:31:55 PM

Hi there. Mind if I join your group, I'm virgil and am a grandpa and tring to learn my way around the block. This is all new to me so bare with me.My family and I live in Slater, IA and hope to move to MO. We like organic gardening and living the country life. so much for short conversation talk later.

MC
#4 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2009 1:23:43 AM

Hi folks.  I agree this is nice.  Maybe we should have an "Introductions Area" in the forum.  Couple other forums I've used had them-- maybe more necessary 'cause they were religious discussion forums and emotions tended to run high-- but anyway they really smoothed things out. 

Well, "MC" is the initials from the screen name I use everywhere else on the Internet, Mysteries' Child.  I got to liking MC better; now I like it better than my given name.  So now maybe some of you already know me and hate me, hahaha.

I'm a 31-year-old at-home mom of two, expecting my third and last in May.  I don't like being yelled at for having kids, or for having more than two kids, and I have better things to do than fight about it. 

I was raised out in the country in WV; my dad's sister and brother-in-law were second-generation-off-the-farmers who didn't like the capitalist lifestyle so they took up self-sufficiency while keeping their coalmine jobs.  I guess that's where it started-- I've idolized them since I was a small child.  I was considered too stupid to learn and never taught anything, but they let me do some menial labor (never worked wood or tended a fire, but I carried and stacked and folded a lot of laundry near the stove) and I've been amazed at what I was able to pick up by watching what was going on around me.   

Now I'm out in rural NW Arkansas and, out of a combination of Paganoid environmentalism and having anxiety disorders and being sick of the constant terror of the vulnerability of being dependent on the consumer supply chain that brings, I'm going self-reliant in a big way. 

I want to learn to do everything...

...and since we just spent a week forced to rely on ourselves or freeze to death  (and we made it pretty comfortably, thank you), the mechanical engineer from suburbia that I married has stopped  laughing at me and got on the wagon. 

So now we're one old wallflower and one newbie.  We have a lot of enthusiasm, probably a fair bit of ability, some knowledge, and very little to no confidence between us.

We need  to learn everything, and make a few big decisions pretty fast.  Old hands and fellow newbies and everything in between, we could really use your input.  Please have patience with stupid questions and some degree of what may come across as whining but is really just asking to be reassured on account of being scared, um, green.   

Mountain man Clint
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:36:42 AM

Hi everyone, I'm also glad to find an introduction place on the Mother Earth News site. I've been on other sites like senior people meet, and find it difficult to find ladies with the Mother Earth outlook. Mother Earth (the magazine) is my favorite source for information for my lifestyle. I'm a 66 yr. old man, very active and healthy. Today I climbed a beautiful volcano in the Mount Wilson Range here in Nevada. The 4 hour climb/hike was so very enjoyable!

I have a 30'x30' vegetable garden, and a one hundred year old mining claim in the Highland Mountain Range with two buildings, 7 shafts, one standing head frame, and plenty of peace and quiet. I do however "live" in a very small town 12 miles east of my mine.I have been single for ten years now due to my naturalist leanings: most ladies love the city, and shopping centers? So I've remained a bachelor for want of a lady who also loves nature. I refer to myself as a mountain man because I live at 6060 feet above sea level. If any of this sounds interesting to you, let me know. . .

RedMatrix
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:36:42 AM

I couldn't find an appropriate introductions area, so I hope I have found the best place to do so.

My name is David. I live in deep south Texas. I am a city man, but with plans on moving out of the parent's home. In our culture, it's okay to have multiple generations living under the same roof. I am single, and have no debt, and am simple. I can't be without my high tech amenities, but feel that I need to find a way to move out with the prospect of providing for my future.

A stranger told me about MEN and his plans to build a self sufficient homestead, and advised I do the same. I have no savings, but found the idea intriguing. So, now I am here.

I have no clue what to do next, only that I have a lot of reading ahead of me. I plan to save money in 2007 so that I can afford to buy land next year. I will be reading the archives and all of the discussions here on the forum, and no doubt have some questions.

Please excuse my ignorance, if I ask a trivial question. I know I will have to learn new skills, but it would be nice if someone who is only a couple of steps ahead of me can point me to the right resources to learn the steps to a successfull enterprise.

I also plan to ween myself off of the grid. Eesh! *crosses fingers*