Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

40 Catfish in a barrel Options
jonma2
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 01, 2008 5:52:04 AM

Hi Brent, glad to see you made it here! I am getting an extra 400 gallon water tank for hauling in a pickup, I just may try the catfish thing if the fishing is good in our nearby river. Catch you here and there.
Brent
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 05, 2008 5:10:11 AM

Kool let me know how it goes!
HockeyFan
#3 Posted : Monday, April 07, 2008 8:10:17 PM

I'm building a house right now, so my time is limited, but after the house is built, my wife and I are planning to do something similar to what you've done.  We hope to raise some catfish, but might also take a stab at raising some shrimp as we've heard that others have had success in this.

I am glad to see people as yourself doing this and having success.  Keep it up.

Earth Home Project:
www.freewebs.com/stocktonunderground

Hoosier
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 15, 2008 5:42:06 AM

Brent,

Thanks for publishing your results. Please keep it up. You've really stirred my interest. Your results kind of remind me how Thomas Jefferson used to track his garden.

I have a 55 gallon aquarium (it used to have salt water fish in it). I use it to start my plants in now. My coon dog can't get to them in there. For some reason she loves to roll around in peet.

Nomad
#5 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2008 12:29:04 PM

Brent, it's great that you're trying this out! I really wish you'd have talked to a fish-nerd like myself before you did all this because I know that I could have given you some good tips on both equipment and maintenance. Never forget that the fish water you take out during water changes does plants good.

JeremyAdam
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 6:07:49 PM

Hi brent I would like to thank you for sharing your information with me. Your site is great and I hope to read more of it soon especiialy about your 3 months in the woods. I will be trying the catfish in  barrell experiment once I get my garden settled in for the year. It sounds fascinating. It was however a little rude of your wife to go into labor in the middle of the experiment though dont you think? priorities I guess. I am currently trying to find more information on growing prawn in barrells as well as I have an almost limitless supply of plastic barrels. Also I will need help moving those barrels to your house as my wife has informed me that I will be living with you from now on. I eat alot so I hope you have a good job. I recomend everyone go check out his website, It is great.

Phantooo
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 15, 2010 8:35:54 AM

Having owned my own custom fish store in the past I would say that while yes, this could work, the variables for going wrong are so high that I probably wouldnt even attempt it.
Fish breeders often raise up small fish in large vats... much larger than a barrel, doing what it says about changing up to 90% of the water daily, but those fish are usually sold and gone at 1-3" max. I would think even in the shade the water would reach critically hot temperature often. Once these fish get about 3/4lb they will be putting off so many waste products from breathing, eating and crapping that you wouldnt be able to keep the water untoxic in such a small area... and you are what you eat LOL.
So, yes it could be done, but you would have better success doing it in a concrete vat in the ground with alot more volume of water.
Easier to grab a six pack of beer, a couple of fishin' rods and a thing of chicken livers.

Real Estate Reviews

Anabolic
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 05, 2010 1:54:07 PM

We clean catfish out in a 500 gallon stock tank this is how we handle cleaning the poo . I bought a old pool pump and sand filter at an auction I attached it at the bung socket at the bottem of the tank. Made a cleaning wand out of a old pool vaccum pole and use it just as in a pool . I use a part cleaning vat pump as an airerator . It is some work but well worth it when you catch 15 or 20 cats that weigh 10 + pounds . We keep them in there for a month or better feeding them small bluegill and crawdads . The kids love catching the food so that part is easy . We leave this running from march thru october and have never had any trouble keeping them alive as long as they are lip hooked and not gill of gut hooked . You can cut the hook off inside a gut hooked cat and leave it inside but we only leave them in the tank max of 10 days . We mark them with calf tags through the dorsel fin makes sorting alot easier . 

buy anabolic

buy steroids

Brent
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 05, 2010 1:54:07 PM

I am raising Catfish in a barrel like Mr. Saxton. Check it out..  http://www.freewebs.com/clarkshomestead/