Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
New homestead Options
katydaly
#21 Posted : Friday, May 06, 2005 9:59:49 PM

Thanks for the welcomes, and for all the advice.

We will use the trailer as vacation home until we pay off the loan we used to buy the land. Hopefully, by then, we will be able to build, and live there year-round. No intention of spending our days forever in the meth lab though.

Miss Martha: We are in South Jersey, not near Bergen County, but Cooperstown is in Otsego County. I don''t think that''s too far from Delaware County. Howdy neighbor!
ListerD
#22 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:13:27 PM

quote:
I will try to contact the dairy farmer before I just go pulling down the fence, even if it is on our property, don''t want his cows running loose. I also suspect that the fence is inside our property line and that he has been using our property to gain access to the creek. Not so sure how I feel about that yet, or if it is even true. We hope to get the gentleman who originally surveyed the property to come back and walk it with us to show us what we own, and how the fences are situated.

Good fences make good neighbors. You might be able to get them to go along with paying half of the new fence. It''s not uncommon for that to happen around here.

Also, get a survey!
hunter63
#23 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2005 7:29:20 PM

Talk with your neighbors, see how they feel about this.

Check your county and state laws on the fence.
If the farmer uses the fence and has for a while, (even though on your property, get survey!!),and you tear it down, you might have to come up w/ 1/2 cost of the new one, weather you want one or not.

Not a good way to start your time in the area.
katydaly
#24 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2005 8:27:03 PM

Yes, I realize that good fences make good neighbors. Personally I think it would be more trouble than it is worth to take down all the barbed wire that is there. And I wasn''t kidding when I said I don''t want the cows running loose! I will check all the laws before I do anything drastic.

I have talked to the surveyor who most recently surveyed a portion of the property. The last survey on record for the whole property is from 1988. We asked, and he did not see any need to resurvey it. He is supposed to meet with us when we go up in a few weeks to walk the land and compare it to the 1988 survey. The reason I suspect the dairy farmer may be using part of our property, is that it shows there is no creek on his portion. As this is a smallish creek with a lot of bends and turns in it, perhaps the creek actually changed since 1988. I don''t know how possible that is... Also, the dairy farmer is the son of the elderly and less-than-honest realtor who did the transaction for us. It took us from August until December to complete the purchase because she lied to us, several times, as to the amount of land we were buying.

The surveyor met with us in April, but there was too much snow still on the ground to walk to the back part where the creek is. He seemed to think everything was in order, but was also somewhat suspicious because the realtor had hired him to survey the 2-acre portion the previous owner wanted to retain, and then she refused to pay him the $850 he charged her. She said the work was only worth $400, so that''s all she paid him... That was one of the lies, she had told us this "reserved portion" was not part of the lot we were buying (it was). Then she told us it was "approximately 2 acres". He surveyed it, it was almost 4, as I suspected. Then he had to resurvey it to make it exactly 2 acres.

This deal was such a disaster! Aside from the meth lab and the dishonest realtor, the previous owner is a magician and clown, really. Gotta laugh! Good thing we really love this property, or we would have given up on it a long time ago.
oldnndway
#25 Posted : Friday, May 13, 2005 7:22:05 PM

Hi Katydaly !
...and I sure enjoyed your website turtlehead !

Katy, I had a place kind of like what you describe with a fence on just a couple of sides.
Wasn''t my fence but it was old and it was barbed wire and frankly I never even thought of it being there nor did my dogs.
We (the dogs and I) found our individual places where we went through it at and didn''t think anymore about it unless we had to go that way.
It was all grown up and pretty much anytime the need arose I could take one of the kids out there and look at a birds nest or a rabbit hole or whatever your liable to find around a grown up fence and occasionally might have the need to look at with inquisitive eyes (that maybe have never seen nature up close)

Fence lines that are grown up seem to irritate some folks to no end.
They just seem to abhor a "cluttered up" fence line.

I like em all growed up into a long narrow thicket.

Now if your trying to hold in valuable race horses or brahma bulls or such maybe it makes sense to have a nice, cleaned out fenceline but when it just runs along one side of your property (or in your case 2 sides) let it be ...it won''t give you any trouble and there is lots of little critters that count on it as a place of refuge (read: home)

After a while you''ll get to noticing "hey theres that rabbit again" or "man there sure is a bunch of birds around here"

As far as what will "take over" your place ... I don''t know where you are.
Some things that won''t grow here might be the end all invader there.
Don''t know.
Kudzu sure seems to take off whereever you put it.

Far as landscaping your 22 acres, I''d take it real slow and as said above...start close to the house and eventually all will be as all should be (in your eyes)
Get you a garden plot cleared off where you can make a small crop.
Maybe find the best trails through and around your property so you can have a nice walk around on it.

Like Marshall Tucker Band sang "My idea of a good time, is walking my property line, and knowing the mud on my boots is mine"

ENJOY !
mckenzy_girl
#26 Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2005 7:07:33 PM

Katy,
I did a search on cleaning up a meth lab:
Here''s some links for you, if you are interested.

http://www.kdhe.state.ks.us/methlabs/ml_cleanup.html#contamination

http://www.kci.org/meth_info/meth_cleanup.htm

http://www.co.weld.co.us/departments/health/environmental/health_methlab.html

The search brought up about 4 pages , I just listed a few.
Good read.
katydaly
#27 Posted : Tuesday, November 01, 2005 11:20:50 PM

Wow! I didn''t realize how long it has been since I posted on here! It took me awhile to find this old topic.

We have been up to our 22-acres-with-dumpy-trailer every month since May for at least 5 days at a time. We did 10 days in September, and 6 this month. Going back for Thanksgiving, and then we are closing the place up for the winter.

Anyone have advice about winterizing? We will probably just pay the plumber who did it last year (before we owned it) to come back again, unless anybody has some good advice, or a good link for how to DIY.

We used a lot of the advice I got on this forum...thanks to all.

We had a guy bushhog a trail in a roundabout way back to the creek. I didn''t do such a great job of describing what we wanted, so I had to walk ahead of the bushhog through the 3 to 4 ft tall weeds to lead the way. The guy that did it was about 75YO, and quite the comedian. What an improvement! Now we can walk the dogs back to the creek without getting in the car and coming through from the other side.

We had the dogs onleash for all of about 5 minutes when we decided it was easier to go without. So far they have been amazingly good about not getting into trouble. They both went through the barbed wire in about the first 30 seconds, back and forth with no trouble other than me having multiple heart attacks. Pretty soon I realized they are more clever than I gave them credit for.

But our BLab, Lester, has decided he would like to stay with the cows on the other side of the fence, so my husband spent a good bit of time blocking off the easy access points on that side. Lester still tries, but is finally giving up hope of an easy steak dinner. Now he seems to be turning his attention to the numerous groundhog holes, some of them under the foundation (or lack thereof) of the trailer.

We had our first bad critter experience when we blocked off one of those "groundhog" holes with an old barbecue grate. It was inside the fenced area that we use when we just let the dogs out to pee, and where we sit when we are cooking outside. Lester (of course) was obsessed with this hole, and I (of course) was worried if he stuck his face too far in there, he would get bit. So I blocked it off completely. And then we went out to dinner, leaving the dogs in the trailer. When we got home a few hours later, we learned that a groundhog was not the actual inhabitant, but a skunk, who was now trapped in there. And he sprayed and sprayed to let us know how unhappy he was! Poor dogs with their sensitive noses! We could smell it coming up the road.

I moved the grate with a broom handle and RAN back inside. A hundred smelly candles later, we all survived. At least the dogs didn''t get skunked up close and personal. We hadn''t laid in our supply of tomato juice quite yet.

Basically, almost none of the things I planted survived, because it was a really dry summer, and we weren''t there enough to water sufficiently. Next year, I will do a better job of planning my garden, if you want to call it that, and also a better job of locating our bushhogged trail. We will get Mr. Bushhog to get as close to the apple trees as he can. We are trying to take off some of the lower branches so we can get in there and work on them. They are all bearing some fruit, but still have a lot of dead wood around the lower branches.

And my hub bought himself a chainsaw. I made him eat whatever male pride he had and take a lesson from a chainsaw professional (a friend up there who is a lineman for NYSEG). We won''t get much more pruning done this year, but in early Spring, watch out trees, here we come!

Just kidding! I love trees, but these really need a lot of work.

This has really turned out to be quite the adventure. And we are already thinking about moving up there sooner than the 10 years we were originally thinking. Now we just have to agree on type of house to build, and if we want to keep the trailer to rent out to all those baseball-crazed kids and parents who come up to Cooperstown every year.

I guess that will depend on how liveable we make the dump. At least it is our dump!
turtlehead
#28 Posted : Wednesday, November 02, 2005 5:22:44 PM

Thanks so much for the update!

Your description of the skunk and the grate.... oh, my!!!
I know what you mean about wanting to get there sooner. I can''t imagine having to wait 10 years. Of course, we do what we can under the circumstances we have to work with.

Wow, that skunk.
vicki stubbs
#29 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:56:48 PM

we are looking at 26 acres to buy, i was wondering how many t post it takes to fence it, and how many liniar feet that is? comparing costs, posts set at 20 feet apart with stablizers in between? we will cross fence it 2 x

katydaly
#30 Posted : Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:56:48 PM

We are heading up to our new 22-acre manse for Memorial Day weekend.

Ok, it's actually a 1958 Detroiter mobile home that used to house a meth lab. Hardly a mansion...but the land is beautiful!

Is there any reason why I should not plant any of the following plants: crownvetch (coronilla), American bittersweet, honeysuckle, perennial tall grasses, or raspberries that are taking over my current backyard? I know that some of these plants are "vigorous growers", and I don't want to introduce any invasive species, but I do want something tough enough to withstand neglect, and deer.

I need to try to keep the dogs from coming close to the barbed wire fence that surrounds the property. They were raised in suburbia, and will find the cows on the other side of the fence VERY interesting! The fence is supposedly ours, so we could take it down, but I don't think the dairy farmer on the other side would appreciate that...