Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

5 Pages 123>»
The Librum... Options
Sheila
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2004 6:20:12 AM

Naw, foolish would be if you failed to ask for the information that you need.

If you see a title that you like, Barbara, and it has a link beside it to the left in blue, just click on the link. Then wait for the new page to load, and you may need to scroll down a bit, but then you''ll find the table of contents and more links in the page numbers to move around in the book.

If there isn''t a link in blue in the column to the left of the title column, then I think it''s not online yet. Hope that helps!
Amos
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 26, 2004 6:58:24 PM

Bella,

The Librum site started with the master Mother Earth News index that Majerestadt Campbell started so that we could use our complete collection of Mother Earth News. There was no index then, or archives. I have been told by users that there is no other master index in existance. I do appreciate the emails of corrections.

I field a lot of comments about the funkiness of that index, it does reflect the creator!

People kept asking in these forums for things so he put the working index online.

Other working in-house indexes followed by request, such as the Countryside and Saxons.

For a very long time, the Pate''s Chemical Cribsheet, a alphabetical cyclopedia of archaic chemistry, physics, math, and science definations were the biggest draw. This was later sold to Penguin books, and is now a best seller for them. They had the resources to polish, and expand this work, and we did not. And the money, including royalties, has been a major help in funding the new enclave.

The books are what should be called a collection of class projects. Generally speaking, we don''t use computers, or have the skills. When this Librum started, the first electrified one, it was realized that such on-the-job training would be needed. There are classes, and projects, work-at-your-on-pace sort of things. The Librum site book content is just a collection of these projects. Majerestadt Campbell hates copybook or make work, he always wants everything to have positive results.

The primary work of this Librum is book restoration, so here the students could learn the skills without resorting to using our customers, and thereby avoid potential damage to the customer''s works.

In another thread I tried to explain that the Librum site is not an offical OOM thing and bungled it. It is pseudo official to our community as it does reflect our students work.

One of the things that made Patriarch SeFair unique is that he finished every class, and created more. His mind was better able to grasp the big picture and the dream.

The works appear to be disjointed. It is, as each student selected a book that interested them. It also reflects the main contributor''s (Majerestadt Campbell) interests; Chemistry (two PhDs), cooking and kitchen science (did you note that all the cookbooks are really household guides?), and of course, a certain amount of everyman is a handyman.

Sheila is correct, there is a lot of material that is online, but not finished. I just checked, twenty three are unfinished. Most is hidden, as not complete enough to be useable. Patriarch SeFair finished quite a few of the ones you see. For once the student showed mastery, he or she was needed to make da monay.

The way I recommend for someone looking for something specific is to use the master index at the top of the page. But don''t overlook the books that have no index. And then don''t overlook the unfinished but useable section. The Cyclopedia of Mechanics is one of the best, better in MHO than the Dicks or Henleys combined.

For browsers, which I think you would be, then do as Sheila says, and browse.

It is our hope that you find things of interest and help on the site.

Tell me your interests. The Farmers Cyclopedias were finished due to such requests. Perhaps there is one that just needs some polish.

The graphic at the bottom of the page does reflect Majerestadt Campbell''s view on the future of the English world. It is his belief, frequently expressed, that even if one person comes away from the site with a better survival quotent then it was worthwhile.

"While I do not believe that our culture will survive to the time of the diaspora to the stars, I know we will be represented. America will lead the space colonizaton, and we will be represented ... by our works if nothing else."

Amos
skruzich
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2004 3:15:11 AM

Amos, You do explain things well! And I love that graphic at the bottom of the page ;) hehe.
I am always referring to the librum to look up something. I am so glad it is avialable. I know i have the cd of some things but there are new things on the Librum that aren''t on the cd. ANd i don''t alwyas have my cd with me ;)
steve
crwmdpmr
#4 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2004 5:19:55 AM

I still wish you would publish a few pictures or drawings
of some of the unique features of your enclave, such as the
homemade double pane windows and the basement amonia cooled
freezer etc.. These would be a valuable addition to the
librium. As well as an opportunity for others to learn.
Amos
#5 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2004 4:27:48 PM

Crwmdpmr,

I will take this up with the Patriarch Counsel. But I doubt it will happern. With the building of the new enclave taking most of the resources, and the certain knowledge that there is not a single electronic camera, I doubt it. Were there not word pictures given before?

Do you understand our aversion to cameras?

Steve,

Thank you for reminding me! We are revamping the CDs. We took the pdf material off the site and CD. The pdf''s are just too much customer problems.

One of Majerestadt Campbell''s suggestions was to create a cookbook CD, which I am researching. When a few more books to include the White House Cookbook, Thomas Jeffersons, and Home and Household Assistant are done, then there should be enough content for an honest fullness. Goodwife Sarahs projects.

Amos
skruzich
#6 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2004 5:35:05 PM

Ohhh thanks for reminding me I am trying to find the cookbook cd i got, its somewhere here on this table. I have to go up town and get some burnable cd''s and I will send it off when i get them and burn the cd.
BTW, tell Majere, that I finally found a tape drive that i can retrieve my BBS off of tape backup. I need one thing though and I believe that majere might have it. There is a software backup program called backmaster 1.0. My copy is unreadable, if he has a copy of that, is there any possible way that i could borrow a copy to retrieve my files?
I am not sure if the software i now have will read a file that was backed up under OS/2
Steve
crwmdpmr
#7 Posted : Friday, May 28, 2004 8:13:27 PM

I''ve been to the Mennonite Heritage Center and read quite a bit
about the Anabaptist movement, so yes I do understand about
graven images, but as I understand it this does not apply to
inanimate objects. Even simple diagrams would be useful though
to illustrate some of the innovations you are making use of.
Some of us are more visual people and as they say a picture
is worth a thousand words.
pate20135
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2004 12:02:52 AM

Mrs CRW,

It is not just graven images. The science aspects are in play also. Generally speaking, chemistry is also looked down at. Certain exceptions, by design, are allowed, like my Majerestadt being allowed.

But I agree diagrams would be nice.

Fuzzit
pate20135
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2004 12:12:19 AM

Steve,

He says he does not think he has that software. Was it commercial or shareware?

As to what fish, whatever I can catch. Thus far I have eleven brem, five small mouth, and four cats. I have one small large mouth, but can''t seem to catch more. He would not let me buy fingerlings, saying that I must keep to the species natural to our environment. After having read about the ''snake head'', I have to agree, even if it means not having real ''meat'' species. And fish are not the only things that "P" in water!

Fuzzit.
skruzich
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 30, 2004 12:25:20 AM

Shareware Thought he might have it. I will hunt around maybe i can find it somewhere among the diehard OS/2 users ;)

Grin i am glad you see through my wierd sense of humor!! :)
quote:
And fish are not the only things that "P" in water!

steve
majere
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2004 3:21:42 PM

Amos, Very Well Explained! Excellent.

Begimorst, if thee really gets stuck, drop a line to the official Librum email address. librum@dr.com No promices, but we do send our students on ''wild goose chases'' to teach them how to find things, learn how to use the electronic databases, etc. Sometimes, if thee pricks an internal interest, the request will be handed off, and a student will be sent ahunting.

Steve, Again, glad thee enjoys the graphic. (evil grin). Want a bigger grin? That graphic actually started from a picture of my own ''cruiser'' buggy in front of my home in Upton. We were doing some survey work with a borrowed camera. The cloud was superimposed on the buildings. I ''nuked'' myself.

About that quote. Did I say that? Hmmm... Must have been in one of my more pessimistic moods.

I still like the idea of a ''cookbook'' cd. But with all that is going on, I question if poor Amos will have a real chance to finish it. Sometimes I think we need to graft another pair of arms on the poor man. I know he looks forward to the date that the OOMCC sends an trained archivist.

I did ask the local English ''office support'' type store in Berryville to price out some of the ascii work. Ouch! I would very much like to see the COM''s ascii finished. It might be worth the $300 quote. Yes, the same book the beam joinery plate came from.

Thanks for reminding me of something else. I need to renew the site''s registration and hosting contracts. End date is Aug 2005. And expand the space. I don''t think the new enclaves hosting capabilies will be up to speed soon enough.

Thee would be laughing at little Fuzzit. She goes in after her prey. Think about it...

CRW, the camera thing is simply not going to happern. Too much internal resistance. I must show respect to the ways of our more traditional brethern. I have often wanted to do articles or to send other such material to Mother for publishing. Always got ''stepped on''.

Take care,

Majere.
majere
#12 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2004 3:26:20 PM

Steve,

Was that software on a ''Hobbes''? If so, then ask Amos to do an ILL to get those CDs back from the LOC. We donated the entire collection.

Majere.
skruzich
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2004 3:42:54 PM

Hehe, love it! :)
quote:
Originally posted by majere

Steve, Again, glad thee enjoys the graphic. (evil grin). Want a bigger grin? That graphic actually started from a picture of my own ''cruiser'' buggy in front of my home in Upton. We were doing some survey work with a borrowed camera. The cloud was superimposed on the buildings. I ''nuked'' myself.

I got a chuckle at that image! hehe, fish don''t stand a chance! ;)

quote:
Thee would be laughing at little Fuzzit. She goes in after her prey. Think about it...

skruzich
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2004 3:44:01 PM

I don''t remember. :( I think i got it originally from walnut creek at cdrom.com
quote:
Originally posted by majere

Steve,

Was that software on a ''Hobbes''? If so, then ask Amos to do an ILL to get those CDs back from the LOC. We donated the entire collection.

Majere.

majere
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2004 4:27:51 PM

OK, that shows we are going in the right direction. Hobbes was an internet site. That is how I would procede, see if the site still exists, and if so, search there.

If not, Walnut Creek published the incremental backups of the site. To have the complete set, one had to have the first and then the updates. Our set was NOT complete. Sorry. I think there was something like two dozen sets, some were two disk, in the series. Also called Hobbes OS/2 Archived. Can you give Amos a date? Or a color description of the disk, each was different.

Actually, now that I think about it, I think Arsenal did some of them, so may also be under the Arsenal series.

Majere.
majere
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2004 4:44:24 PM

skruzich
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 06, 2004 5:26:01 PM

Hey thanks majere, I didn''t know hobbes was back online. Hehe, might resurect my old bbs :) It actually had internet support as well as a 16 line license.
majere
#18 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2004 3:15:45 AM

Bumping due to more questions.

Majere.
sandra902
#19 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2004 11:53:29 AM

hey majere, i was thinking whilst doing the dishes yesterday. maybe this sounds silly or perhaps has been asked before. do you miss being called by your given name?
majere
#20 Posted : Monday, December 13, 2004 4:27:10 PM

Sandra, will answer in Ordnung.