Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Bad Farm Market, What to do? Options
merricksdad
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:56:00 AM

Ive been to a few local farm markets in the last 3 years and what I've found is kinda disturbing.

First off, a large portion of the produce I see is not local. For instance, I find fruit picked hundreds of miles away. Yes this is family run produce, but should I consider it local? Knowing that the farm this stuff comes from supplies to the grocery stores, shouldn't I just go to the grocery store? Does buying these fruits actually up the cost to the environment due to the individual's gas use to bring these, when they were already brought by the supermarket truck? Am I being nit picky?

Second, Ive often found produce at our local farm market that was taken off the shelf at a grocery store, the tag was removed, you can see the spot on the wax where it was, and then sold as an organic product grown locally. This is just wrong. These people prey on consumers not as questioning as I am. I would like the public to know, but I also dont want to make an uproar, or do something that might shut down our local farm market. If I am to set up shop across from them someday, should I just keep it to myself, or should I make it public and do away with the scammer?

Has anybody else noticed stuff like this? I understand many markets are having trouble with people putting organic or free range on all their goods, buts its a lie. Is this a plague we cant get rid of?

Frosty
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 08, 2010 10:56:00 AM

I, too, would find that disturbing.  

I sell veggies at a local Farmers Market, ours has by-laws and if you don't adhere you get booted.  Some of the by-laws state that your farm must be with-in 40 miles of the market, and all produce that you sell must be produced on your farm.  We are not allowed to sell things like meat, and the only canned goods are either jelly or pickled.  We are allowed to sell baked goods, though the few canned goods and baked goods may soon be a thing of the past because of problems from the other Farmers Market in our town that is not really regulated. 

As far as organic and free range goes... as long as you fall under a certain minimum, you don't have to be certified organic and free range is a pretty worthless term.  It only means that the livestock 'has access to outside' for however many hours a day. 

Actually, my heart isn't in the market garden this year... I have been working hard to try to keep everything as organic as possible, then DH apparently got tired of the weeds and sprayed the ENTIRE garden with Round Up this spring, some areas more than once.  I am angry and disgusted.  All of this time I have been telling customers that I am trying to keep everything as organic as possible, what do I tell them now?  I won't lie...