Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

outhouse flies Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 04, 2010 10:34:58 AM

Have you tried the stinky fly traps?  They work pretty good around my poultry buildings...

Otherwise, I stumbled across some repellents when I was researching mosquito repellents the other night.  I found the following:

• Use mint as a fly repellent. Small sachets of crushed mint can be placed around the home to discourage flies.
  • Bay leaves, cloves and eucalyptus wrapped in small cheesecloth squares can be hung by open windows or doors.
  • Place a small, open container of sweet basil and clover near pet food or any open food in the house.
  • A few drops of eucalyptus oil on a scrap of absorbant cloth will deter flies. Leave in areas where flies are a problem.
  • You can make your own flypaper with this simple recipe: Mix 1/4 cup syrup, 1 tbsp. granulated sugar and 1 tbsp. brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut strips of brown kraft paper and soak in this mixture. Let dry overnight. To hang, poke a small hole at the top of each strip and hang with string or thread.
  • A site visitor suggests a light spray of Pine Sol on affected areas will deter flies.
  • Safe, nontoxic, pheromone-based outdoor and indoor fly traps are available.
  • For outdoor infestations, the best trap you can use is the Flies Be Gone trap, now available in our online store.
  • John Stiles
    #2 Posted : Tuesday, July 06, 2010 3:02:32 AM

With an 800 gal holding tank and summer, the flies are too persistent for any herbal solutions. Fly strips would gum up the pump out guy in the fall. We'll continue waiting for the local store to get no pest strips and use a little fly spray to help.

It's funny this year is the first the no pest strip didn't work. might have been old or set to high up in the tank.

We've tried diatomatious earth and other non toxics but to no avail.

John Stiles
    #3 Posted : Tuesday, July 06, 2010 3:02:32 AM

Hi,

I have the only legal outhouse here in my township. This is our only toilet. Most years we use a no pest strip suspended in the holding tank to kill the flies. This year it is not as effective. We will buy another pest strip and try doubling down.

Any other ideas on how to kill these flies?

then, John