Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Flea Control article Options
jonma2
#1 Posted : Friday, May 02, 2008 4:51:10 AM

Just my experience but when we had fleas, I bought a bottle of eucalyptus oil (2 to 4 dollars) and put a few drops in the room furthest from the door. The next night the next room and so on by the end of the week, no more fleas. The dog also got a drop or two placed where she wouldn't lick. The cat was a different matter, barely any oil becaust the tounge does amazing things to get rid of creatures. If you care and want to do it natural, do it slow. If you don't care and want it done fast, use poison. I care.
MC
#2 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2009 2:40:31 AM

I've had really excellent luck with the Nature's Guardian product (effective on 9 out of 9 cats and the dog; the 10th cat is allergic to it but then she's allergic to every other flea product I've tried too so I bathe her often and rely on herd immunity).  Anyway-- I want to stop using it even though I've had excellent luck with it, basically because I don't trust Hartz or Sargeants (forget which makes it) or any other mainstream manufacturer to put pets' health first or tell the whole truth about their products. 

How do your cats tolerate the eucalyptus oil??  I know I can't use citrus oil on them.  And what controls ticks??  That's as necessary as flea control as I live in a tick-infested area.  I use rose-geranium oil on the dog (12 drops applied to the collar every 3-4 weeks) and diluted on us and the kids with excellent results.  Does anyone know if it's safe for cats??  Whatever I use would have to be applied directly to the skin as most of them absolutely reject collars of any kind...

John Edward Mercier
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2009 10:51:43 AM

Diatomaceous earth.
paul wheaton
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 01, 2010 6:44:34 PM

Yeah, diatomacesoaeous
lawn care, cast iron, fleas, permaculture forums, java
bkrell
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 01, 2010 6:44:34 PM

Hey, just wanted to share my experiences with this article on flea control that just got recirculated in the newsletter

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2007-06-01/Simple-Tips-for-Safe-Flea-Control.aspx

One of the tips is to use eucalytus leaves since fleas can't stand the smell.  Well, I went to a crafts store and spent about $30 on bundles of leaves and the little cachet bags to put them in.  Well, I put out at least 25-30 of these bags in my 1650 square foot house along with putting the leftover leaves under various beds.  In short, it did absolutely nothing for the flea problem I was having at the time. I even gave it a couple of weeks but the fleas only got worse. Frustrated, I paid for a professional spraying (for which I had to pay $120 and evacuate my family and pets for 4 hours after spraying).  I also broke down and bought Promeris for both my cat and dog.  Problem gone.

I hated to do it as I have young kids and just hate having all the chemicals around, but I was at wits end.  I'd recommend that if you try these natural remedies that you try all of them at once or at least, in the case of fleas, try the lemon treatment first as keeping the fleas off the animal is the primary means of getting the population under control.