Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

3 Pages <123
Area of the Country Options
Lamb
#41 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 5:46:50 PM

I've lived in 13 countries and 30 states (Army brat and lots of moves due to jobs since adulthood)
There are pluses and minuses for any location, you just have to pick and choose what you feel you can live with...and without.
After living in some of the states west of the Mississippi, including Wyoming, Montana and Texas, I decided I could never base my homestead out there (or actually, here, as I am currently working in Texas) because of water issues. I have known some small ranchers that went almost bankrupt because of drought and having to pay exorbitant amounts for extra *shares*. I have also watched the price of land in Wy., My and Id. go through the roof as people went to those states to *live the dream*.
Missouri and Arkansas, especially in the Ozark area are still relatively affordable. Good land, plenty of water, wildlife and diverse plant life...good people, low taxes for the most part. Easy building codes (almost non-existent in some areas) leave plenty of lee-way for being creative and/or installing gray water systems and the like.4 season climates.
Oklahoma has, in the eastern area, some nice land where water is not an issue.
Favorite states I have lived in...Kentucky, Alabama, Montana, Virginia.
Despite all that, I am currently searching for property in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

I like cold and snow, but not so much that I want to live in Alaska.
I am a gun owner and like the laws for concealed carry in Vermont.
I like to hunt and Maine has some seriously good hunting!
I am Libertarian and so there's New Hampshire!
So, at an older age (52), I am about to start over. I will be building my own cabin, living off-grid and gardening. Have done it before, and am very excited about doing it again. It'll be me, my darlin' man, my Depeche Mode c.d. collection and the Empress of the Known Dog Universe--my German Sheperd mix, Siona.

davisonh
#42 Posted : Saturday, November 29, 2008 12:02:47 AM

Hey Lamb,glad you're keeping northern NE in mind,I and a few others here live here.Icould mention a couple of other pluses living here also and a couple of minuses too that you don't find elsewhere.No income tax here in NH,although the property taxes are one of the highest in the States.We also live in one of the most culturally diverse parts of the country,you're about 3.5 hours away from anyplace you'd ever need,NYC,Boston,Montreal all all within a few hours (or less) drive from me.  Cost of livings' up there although not much different than the rest of the country. OK the minuses. It's cold up here..we dont see a growing season till mid or late April.
cmate
#43 Posted : Saturday, December 27, 2008 6:39:18 PM

We live here because this land has been in the family for nearly 100 years, if I could pick it up & move it, I would, but to numerous places around this country. This country is so incredibly beautiful, in so many areas that it's hard to choose exactly which place to stay. For me, I would love to bring my land with me to most anywhere in the Northern Half of this great country.... You can keep the South, way to humid!
jd
#44 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:08:50 PM

Not much mention of Canada, it seems.  Just as well, I guess.  It's not all good news.  Firstly, land is so much more expensive up here it is ridiculous.  And homesteading land is even more.  Crazier still is the fact that our land/mortgage is NOT deductible.  So you make $1000.00 and then pay taxes amongst the highest in the world and, with the $500.000 that is left, you try to buy very expensive land.  Well, expensive if it is in within four hours of a temperate climate city.  Or within 150 miles of the US border.  It is not all that bad - some parts of Canada are cheap.  Fertile and cheap.  Try Saskatchewan, Manitoba, New Brunswick.  PEI and Nova Scotia are more.  Parts of Quebec are expensive and half of Ontario is pricey.  The rest is a hellhole.  The best place in Canada is BC but Malibu is cheaper. BC is temperate.  The southern part. But much of Canada is - surprise - cold!
And everything else you buy is more expensive, too. 
"Why be there?"
Well, we are free-er than even you guys.  Not because of laws and such but simply because we have the second largest country in the world and only the same number of people as California.  Get out of town and, for the most part, you are free to be yourself and live as you want.  For the most part.  The Mounties track down the real maniacs and the tax man gets everyone but, for the most part, you are free. 
"That it?"
Yep.  That and the fact that the deer and the antelope still roam.  So do the bison, moose, bears and wolves.  And even though we hate our government, the rest of the world still seems to think its' OK.   Not bad.     
chickory
#45 Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 1:28:16 PM

Midlands South Carolina here!  There is something to grow year round.  There are areas that are 'dirt' cheap (pun intended).  Organics and sustainable lifestyles are still thought of as pretty wierd so there is not much competition if you want to sell your wares.  Lots of people want to buy but few selling.

katydaly
#46 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:06:10 PM

This summer we are moving from suburban south Jersey, to central NY, Otsego County.

While NJ is great for being close to everything (which helps when you're a freelance artist), great soil for a fabulous vegetable garden (best tomatoes anywhere!) and close to Philly for the cultural aspects, great restaurants, art museum, etc.—central NY is where we want to spend the rest of our lives. As jobs will be tough to come by (rural area, bad economy, we're over 50) we will be homesteading as much as possible. We hope to get a few goats, sheep, chickens, maybe a pig? Already plowed up a good size garden plot. Planted lots of trees. Lots of local small farms where we can buy what we can't grow. Raw milk at a farm nearby.

We bought the land 5 years ago—22 acres for $60k. Beautiful views, creek runs through the back part of our land, lake is about a mile up the road, several state forests nearby. Our newly built house will, I'm sure, raise our taxes from the $1500 we pay now. And it will not be worth nearly as much as we paid to build it, but we're not planning on ever moving again.

And there will be more snow than we are used to.

But I can't wait to move!

Megan
#47 Posted : Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:06:10 PM

Would you recommend the area of the country where you live for homesteading? If you had to do it again, would you choose another location?