Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
I need advice on some important deciscions Options
John Stiles
#21 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:32:30 PM

Remember a lot of folks would like to have a desk job as the factory line thing can be under paid and overworked as well as hard on the feet.
Ecology? Where you going to work? Government is a main employer and private ecologists that I met do risk assessment for corporations and travel alot.
There are schools for the trades. If you have the math skills engineering design might work. Surveying is outside work and steady.
JAK
#22 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2007 4:47:25 AM

My suggestion is not to homestead immediately after high school, but perhaps take a year off before college and do something like a thru-hike of the Appalacian Trail. The timing is a little off since you finish high school in June, unless you have a little money saved to start right away. It can be done very cheap. Then if you finish in the late Fall you have time to work and save up for college or whatever it is you have decided to do. You will have had plenty of time to think about it while hiking the Appalachian Trail, or the Pacific Coast Trail, or the other one, or all three. The most important thing when you are young is not too accumulate to much stuff too soon like furniture and cars and stuff. That stuff really bogs you down and limits your options in life. Pack light. Stay free.

Here is an excellent site:

http://hikinghq.net/at_stuff/at.html

John Edward Mercier
#23 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2007 3:57:05 PM

The truth is people are getting older and older before owning their home.

From a financial, social, and even physical aspect this is the most important piece of one's life.

JAK
#24 Posted : Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:38:11 PM

That is a good point John. People, and other species, don't most naturally enter into a period of wandering years because they have a wish to, but more naturally because they need to. Still, the natural cause and effect of a species is not always that clear. We are adaptable as a species because we evolved to be adaptable because of the advantages of being adaptable. Part of what makes us so adaptable, as a species, is that we tend to have young men that are willing to wander, perhaps even driven to wander, for a period of years, or at least when certain circumstances present themselves, and some are more predisposed than others, perhaps most often to their disadvantage as individuals, but sometimes to their advantage as individuals, and all to the advantage of the species, or at least other individuals or groups of that species. Why else might snowy owl find themselves so far south, amongst the buzzards?

http://www.focusonnature.com/SnowyOwl.htm

Snowy Owl
Nyctea scandica

Snowy Owls are found only in the Arctic, and are seen most commonly sitting very still on the tundra.  Snowy Owls are about the size of a Great Horned Owl but are different in that they will hunt during the day and that they have two different colors of plumage depending upon the season.  In summer, Snowy Owls are brownish with dark spots and stripes.  In winter, they are completely white.  These changes in appearance are so they can hide when they hunt, so that Snow Owls can sneak up and catch the small mice and birds that they eat.  In summer, they blend in to the tundra colors and look like shadows; in winter, they look like the snow covering the ground.  During the spring breeding season, owls will also feed on eggs of waterfowl, including geese and swans which are very much larger than they are.  They have to be very quick to take an egg from a swan!  Snow Owls breed on the tundra and are very good at hiding their nests and eggs.  The nest is made of dried tundra plants and the eggs look very much like the surface of the tundra.  When parents come to incubate the eggs or feed the chicks they will move slowly and carefully so that a fox or raven won't find the nest.  Snowy Owls do not fly south in the winter, but will stay wherever there is food to eat.

Gods green earth
#25 Posted : Friday, June 06, 2008 6:09:02 PM

Stay out of debt!!! Simple as that. If you are already in debt do not let it go any further. You can go to the library and get a college edjamacation. Get out and stay out of debt.!! Pay with cash for everything.
artizan
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:57:04 AM

My first thought was to ask - Have you seen "Into the Wild"?  It is an interesting movie about a young man going to live off of the land in the wild by himself.

Secondly do what you love!!!!!!!!!!!  Give some consideration to making a living (real money) as living off of the land is very hard and you will still need basic supplies and have to pay real estate taxes. 

I don't know where you plan to live but you may find more work as a vet than as a pharmacist in a remote location. 
Ana
#27 Posted : Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:27:01 PM

Hi Naturalist...

I would say go to school but keep your homestead in mind and learn as much as you can while you're at school.  IMO I would not become a pharmacist if homesteading is your dream... do something more related to homesteading or at least something you could practice at your homestead.  I know how you feel... I'm doing the same thing except w/dentistry. 

Good luck... keep us posted... Jas

To the guy who mentioned social security... that would be a stupid thing to rely on.

JeremyAdam
#28 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 6:00:52 AM

Why do you want a degree? Who is telling you that you need one? What are they doing with thiers? What has schooling done for you so far? Do you want a JOB? Do you want and education? Can you provide yourself with an education on your own? How much do your teachers really know? What is a degree worth? Will you be able to get a good enough job to make it pay for itself? How long will that take? How much of your free time will that take? Could you just get a job delivering pizza and save every penny? How much land do you want and what type of life style are you accustomed to? Could you live in a tent or a shack? Are you willing to totally rough it until your dream is realised?

I say screw college. Its another way to get you into debt. Most people never use thier degrees or realise that they have to go back for more schooling to maintain relevance. Go spend 6 years in school then another 8 paying off your loans before you can even think about getting a loan for undeveloped remote land from a bank that wont grant it. In the mean time you settle down pop out a few kids and all of the sudden the significant othere says that it wouldnt be right to take little timmy away from all of his new friends at school. some time passes and all of the sudden you see some gray in your hair. What happened to the homestead? Is this were I wanted my life to be? If you want it fight for it. Go get it. Find some crummy land somewhere that no one wants and make it work for you. It takes balls. But College doesn't teach balls.

BB
#29 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:20:15 AM

Many of the best farmers today are Amish, Mennonite or Hutterite.  If you go live on a Hutterite colony, you will see efficient, modern farming and learn a variety of trades.  The downside is that you won't earn any cash, and if you can't learn German easily, you'll feel left out.  The Amish and Old Order Mennonites are good at small-scale farming.  If you could find an Amish man who would hire you, then you could learn their economical ways of farming.  If you want to go the conventional route and get a college degree, you'll need to work for agribusiness to pay back your student loans.  Another route would be to become a nurse.  You could make lots of money, save it, then work part time once you buy your farm.  That's what I did!

The Naturalist
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 27, 2010 11:20:15 AM

What would be your advice for a young man who is not yet finished with his education but would would like to start a homestead as soon as possible after finishing?