Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
Opinions sought, please Options
JeremyAdam
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 5:09:39 AM

I for one can't get enough of this idea. I personally feel that the population would be a little too dense there but consider this. Small tire or sandbag domed homes covered with earth and plants much like hobit houses. Built it all into a well designed little hobbit community. Round doors, lush greenery and gardens right on the homes. Little strolling country lanes with friendly neighbors. Id say you would need at least half and acre per site with very little of that taken up by the home. By using tires or sandbags you would significantly reduce your building costs and still make attractive homes. I for one would be very interested in making a go of it up there assuming the gardening season is long enough for me to produce my foods.

"Come to Hobbiton British columbia. Let our strolling roads lead you to a simpler time as our rambling brooks wash your troubles away. Enjoy our fresh water and organic foods, our scenic hiking trails, and passing the day on your neighbors front stoop."

You would have the green angle, the homesteading angle, seclusion, self sufficiency and the beautiful scenery already created deep in the minds of Lord of the ring fans every were.

my main requirements for me to consider a place though would be to have enough room for a large garden and chickens. If you can't do that I think you would have a hard time getting the back to the landers there.

jd
#22 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 5:09:39 AM

I have a question and I would very much appreciate an answer/opinion from those of you who think like M.E.N. subscribers.  Criticisms are welcome.  Ideas are, too. 

I live on a small, remote island up the BC coast.  This island is 20 miles long, 5 miles wide and sports a population of 50.  We used to have a store but with the dearth of boaters these past few years, it closed.  Young people tend to leave.  The population is aging and the community wants to do something to keep the community thriving.  I was thinking of building a village down near the old store site.  25 cottages sprinkled about 8 acres with water view and dock and such.  Each cottage would be in the 800- 1200 sft range and the village would be surrounded by miles of forest.  Everything off-the-grid, alternative energies, own-water, own-septic.  There is not even a ferry to the island. 

So - the question is:  does this sound appealing to you folks?  I know, of course, that ol' Skuz, Adirondack, JEM and P-45 are not, in the least, in the market to move - to another country even! -  nor are any of you, I am sure.  But I am asking about the idea.  Does the idea of living in a small, remote village with modern communications appeal enough to buy? 

"How much?" The plan is to do it at-cost so as to be as affordable as possible.  But cost, of course, is still a lot (it's new construction, after all, with altenergy costs added up front).  The weather is great, year around.  We have a small two room (but modern) school.  The store will re-open when the population increases and you will have to be able to support yourself in some way other than working in a mill as there are no employers on the island except seasonal and infrequent. 

Does this sound good?  Or just the ravings of old hippies?