Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

help with smoke Options
r klaumann
#1 Posted : Friday, April 16, 2010 6:53:08 PM

rented  opps  lol

jd
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:24:15 PM

Sorry, damn webpage acted up again. 

Try the Community forums - they may have something in the housecleaning section or something.  This is Reader to Reader meaning: chat amongst friends.

But, if it were me, I'd get the landlord to re-paint the whole place.  If they won't, get them to pay for the paint and do it your self.  Either way, you can't live like that.

jd
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 17, 2010 4:28:13 PM

Wrong forum for that question, RK.  Try DIY.com or even anther an
Sarah/Librum
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:34:52 PM

RK,

JD is right.  Might I suggest Everything-diy.com?  The site is normally quiet, but some good folks there, and they are much more 'country' or 'natural' than a lot of the other diy sites. If there is a low-tech solution, that would be the place to ask.

Is it a 'smell' issue, or a 'grunge' issue? 

If a smell issue, then I would suggest you find one of the formulas for the vinegar based deodorizers, there are lots of such formulas on the net.  We use the wick-in-a-bottle bottles with such.  These do not give a 'vinegar' smell to the area.  Using herbal infused vinegar can actually make an area quite pleasant to be in, such as our Librum (think library)(musty books can be just as offensive as tobacco).  There are also 'essential oil' formulas that work quite well also, and last much longer.

If a grunge issue, there are some baking soda formulas on the web, but these formulas are not very effective.  If you do find that you need to repaint, then I would suggest you look for 'milk paint' formulations. Here we have heavy pipe smokers, and that is the only paint we found to be effective.  If the house is 'vinyl' or 'latex' paint, you may have to remove the old paint first.  Oil or 'enamel' can normally be painted over with milk paint, but you will have to experiment to be sure in your case.  Best things about 'milk paint' is that you make it yourself, all natural, and kid safe.  If you need ideas on pigment, look at realmilkpaint.com and their color charts, but I do not recommend you buy from them.  $$$  Once you get your pigment ideas then get on the web looking for specific color pigments.  We use kaolin for egg-shell white.  Using minute amounts of Higgins inks gives some very nice pastel shades when used in the kaolin base, but using Higgins means it is no longer child safe.

I do not think any of our paint formulation books are online anymore at Librum.us, but if you get stuck, then come over to Librum.us or Everything-diy.com, and ask for me.  I might be able to toss some material your way.

Sarah

Research Librarian at The Librum. 

r klaumann
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:34:52 PM

i just rested a house that had cigar and ciggeret smokes and eveything is coverd in smoke  ???

how can i clean it without going totaley cheimical  and breaking my arm with elbow grease !!!!!!!!!!!!