Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

newbie - sort of. Options
davisonh
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 30, 2010 2:32:08 AM

Hi chickory,hey glad your computer issues with Mothers' website got resolved;I know I had a bit of trouble too at 1st.I live up in the cold white New Hampshire area(muddy now,not too white)and it's not unusual at all to eat all organic food,recently with the food prices the way they have been it's turning from a 'ya lets do it' thing into a real neccesity now.I don't know about anyone else but my garden is growing by a third this year and I spent the weekend spreading manure over it,not going to make the same mistake last year at this time by not getting any.Going to try to get the peas and lettuce in this weekend,we'll see how much it dries out this weekend,currently we're being pounded by several inches of rain.We want to do the same,be edebt free in ten years too.Going to try,we'll see how it goes.I have 10 acres here near a lake.If you're on now I doubt you'll have any more problems..and hey,good luck,gardenings' going to mean economic survival this year and problably from now on...even tho most dont want to admit it...so good luck!

John Stiles
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 06, 2010 6:23:24 PM

Upstate NY here, it's been very dry. My sand has barely the water to germinate. No real projects this year; had the garden u-bar dug in the fall and it is laying out without breaking a sweat. My old, still woodcutting, neighbor, friend and associate is going to deliver this year's fuel, 10 face of hardwood.

My wife and I are basically retired, except for my illustrious music career in the beautiful Finger Lakes/ Lake Ontario region. Our son is 1st year Community College. We both received the first Mother edition, before we knew each other.

jd
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:42:37 AM

"Chick" for short?  Anyways, welcome.  I agree with Dh and John - getting basic is the way to go. 

As for me, I came to MEN by accident.  I was thinking about the Whole Earth catalogue and kinda remembered 'Mother'-something and the search engine brought me here about ten years ago.  Met Skuz and Ad-gardener and C-mate and the librum.  Unbelievable!  What incredibly smart people.  It inspired me.  I am now living off-the-grid and debt free.  Not quite a hermit because the off-gridders out here are a helluva community but, for the most part, my wife and I have learned to live independently compared to our previous cul-de-sac life.  Learned a lot.  Still learning.  It is very good.  Very, very, very good!

To be honest: I have no idea why people aren't doing this in droves.  Compared to city life, this is heaven.  To be fair, being debt free is a key.  But staying debt free is sometimes hard.  There is always something you think you 'must have'.  Sometimes you do.  Sometimes you don't.  The hard part is being comfortable with 'what you have'.  When you get there, it is all a lot easier.  We know.  We now live on exactly 1/5 of what we used to earn and spend.  I am going to make that 1/7th if I can.   

chickory
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 07, 2010 1:42:37 AM

I am 'sort of' new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself.  Been reading Mother since the early 80s.  I was using the forum quite a while back but had problems with my log on and computer.  Hopefully that is all straightened out because I LOVE Mother and this is the only place I can find 'like-minded' individuals to exchange ideas with.

People I work with think that it is super strange to eat only food with out chemicals, raise chickens in your back yard and harvest dandelions.

My hubby and I currently live on 1 1/4 acre surrounded by a couple hundred acres of woods and some small subdivisions.  We have 7 hens this year but are going to have to expand to meet our egg needs (we eat a lot of eggs).  We also have 8 young fruit trees, herbs and an ever-expanding veggie garden.  It is all completely organic now and my harvest is meager but I am determined to stay the course and learn how to provide our food needs out of our own yard.

We are not debt free but I want to be debt free well within the next ten years.  Debt free living is on my top 5 list of most important goals.  I am sooo hoping that I won't have anymore problems with my log on here and look forward to being able to talk to other Mother readers.  Oh I forgot to mention that I live in Midlands South Carolina.