Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Pipe Planters???? Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Friday, January 01, 2010 7:59:07 AM

I saw the topic 'Pipe Planters' and my first thought was 'Nope, never planted pipes!'  

So I have to ask, was there dirt in the pipes or is it a type of hydroponic system?  And after the plants are done, how would you get the roots out?  Seems like something like that would protect the plants from diseases in the soil... intriguing!  Think I need to try to research the idea...  

MC
#2 Posted : Friday, January 01, 2010 3:27:23 PM

There is soil in his.  I don't know about out on the island; between the kids and FIL's medical needs I didn't make it there this year.  It would seem reasonable for it to be a hydroponic system, wouldn't it????  I didn't think of that but you might be right.  Totally different from anything I have experience with but still possibly not prohibitive.   

MichaelK
#3 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 4:54:00 PM

Hi MC

I've used drain pipe successfully for my application.  I'm in the process of propagating transplants for our homestead and I use drain pipe for rooting my cuttings.  I cut grape, pomogranate, and fig branches about 15-18 inches long, dip them in rooting hormone, then plant them in pipe sections of the same length.  I typically insert them so that only 2-3 buds are still above the surface of the soil at the top of the pipe.  The pipes are open bottom, so you have to leave them in place for a week or so to allow the soil to settle enough to stay in the tube.

I position the tubes upright in a selected area, but position the tubes so the bottom of each section is touching real dirt, not concrete or gravel.  That way if roots spread out of the bottom of the tube, they have somewhere to go.  If they do root into the ground, don't disturb the new roots till the following winter, when they go back into dormancy again and they can sustain root damage without wilting and dying.

The tubing allows me to make large numbers of cuttings in a very limited area, but they are easy to re-locate and transplant once they're ready to go.

Good luck with your own project,
Michael

MC
#4 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2010 4:54:00 PM

Holy tomatoes!  MC is learning something in the 'burbs!!  Down here in Cape Coral, I've been visiting my in-laws' neighbor's gonna-be-totally-awesome backyard garden. 

He tried growing tomatoes in a length of (looks like) 3-inch PVC pipe.  He laid it on its side, propped up on blocks, and cut holes in the top for the plants.  Says they grow whole gardens this way out on Pine Island, where space is a huge issue.  His failed-- pretty much totally-- but that might not be a reason to dismiss the whole idea.

I wondered if anyone here had heard of it or tried it.  Looking for experience and thoughts.  Thanks!