Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages <12
Single female in need of really inexpensive building ideas Options
John Edward Mercier
#21 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2008 8:04:48 PM

The cost of meeting code isn't prohibitive... as HOOP would say, its in the mechanicals.

eginden
#22 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2009 1:12:49 AM

I hope your still listening as I think I understand where your coming from. You want a place you can afford,to live in  and to  build, perhaps even on a small disability check. You may have do this on your own as the relatives may or may not be able to help. Telling us you were on your own, female, and disabled is your way of saying you feel you may have limitations. Saying you were young, well all that did was show you were, as, that's probably not important.

I don't think what your asking for is impossible; but it may be difficult.When I lived in Chicago I read an article about a guy who lived in a Tepee year round. I'll have to post it here later but there is a small living structure that I've been hearing a lot on lately. It a very small house. That info might be useful too.

Yurts were mentioned here but quickly; dismissed as too cold. Probably, by some one who never lived in one. I suspect several million Chinese Mongols would disagree with that. Not to mention all the Americans and Eurepeans who choose, all year, Yurt Living as an alternative lifestyle. A traditional yurt is insulated with felt then heated with a wood stove. As far as heating:  propane, LP, or heating oil and a stove/fireplace. Instead of having to chop wood.

I'm investigating such a lifestyle myself and, my info so far indicates, you can buy a new one for a few thousand dollars. You could build one for a lot less. If you have more time than money I'm sure you could barter martials, buy salvage materials (from all sorts of sources), even use unusual materials. I read a post from someone who stayed in a Yurt with a bicycle rim as the tension  ring at the top of the yurt Of coarse the advantage of a yurt is you can take it with you.

Even snow isn't an issues as many of current Yurters live in such snow bound places like, CO, MO, WA, and OR. As in an igloo snow adds to the insulation and help keep the heat inside.

I'd be glad to share my reseach so far if you want. Some where I even found info on heating the floor.

Also, here's a link for an online group: The_Yurt_Community@yahoogroups.com. There are some good discussions on Yurt living as well as some good links. There are a lot of info just by looking up Yurt on a search engine.don't let the lackf funding define your project; that just means you will have to be determined and cleaver.

MC
#23 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2009 4:05:03 AM

I know you said you want to build, but have you given any thought to buying a mobile home???  Used ones, especially older used ones, can be quite cheap.  I bought a 12x70 ft. two-bedroom unit for $4000 in 1998, lived in it for just shy of seven years with very few problems.

There are smaller units that I'm sure go for less even now. 

Especially with the older ones, the insulation is not the best-- 2x4 construction, single-pane windows that tend to let in a lot of draft as the structure ages-- but it should stand up to a harsh climate better than many other things.  I was able to solve the window problem by taping up plastic and hanging blankets over that during the coldest months, and I had no skills or knowledge at the time.

The only downside is disability.  I don't know the nature or extent of your disability, but I have to note that most trailers are narrow enough to create real problems with wheelchair accessibility to things like bathrooms.  Also, because they are small, they make a great deal of use of vertical space-- that means high  cabinets, something else that's inconvenient if you have to live your life in a sitting position. 

Also, and this is especially true with older trailers (a lot of newer ones have peaked shingled roofs), a flat aluminum roof must be treated with aluminum roof paint every other summer (weather must remain dry with low temp above 55 F for at least 48-72 hrs. after treatment) at bare minimum or I guarantee you it will leak.  The stuff is reasonably priced, but comes in a 5-gallon bucket that must be hauled up onto the roof and spread with a brush that is similar to a small pushbroom.  The work is not all that difficult-- it was never a hardship for me, a 120-pound 5'7" weakling woman-- or time consuming (one 6-8 hour day every other year wasn't a big deal to me) but the bucket is heavy to haul up there and again, if you have limited mobility, climbing onto the roof and spreading that stuff is going to be difficult.

Good luck.  Your parameters make it  more difficult, but not impossible.  I do agree with the suggestion that you get clear title to your own land, though.  Relatives, even the best of relatives, can make things very difficult and insecure at times.  The whole point of this, I figure, is to finally have a place where you feel secure and  safe.  Don't give up.    

rades
#24 Posted : Friday, February 27, 2009 6:58:22 PM

build new and green and comfortable for less than $5000.  If you have not built yet, Kokoon homes can be built 12 x 12 within your budget. yes two of us lived in a 12 x 12ft for years very comfortably.  Our factory is located in Georgia, we would be willing to help with shipping and assembly. Kokoon homes is a Habitat for humanity supporter so this is a natural fit. what state are you located?

Dave Rades

www.kokoonhomes.com

mrgreenjeans
#25 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:15:00 AM

hello waves ,

i would tend to agree on the mobile home. its the best bang for the buck. i think where you run into money is rarely the house its the hook ups that can kill ya. putting in a septic (if you don't want to start with a shovel) gets pricey. equipment is just to efficient to ignore. then comes either a power line hook up or off grid .neither is cheap. as to homemade windmills i haven't seen a one yet that wasn't a noisy thing. and are very temperamental. just my experience. if i had 5k and was looking .i think id go see if there was a better deal to be had where it was warmer and wasn't so demanding.the winters in michigan can be brutal and very difficult if things go wrong 

on the other hand i got a guy that has built a house out of scraps completely. only cost was nails ,so it can be done. i must say it sort of looks a lil funky but its fully functional and you got to love the price. he lived in the city and brought  his finds out on the weekend and works away at it. its up to you to judge how you want to live and if you can match the will to buy in. 

lamar5292
#26 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:23:18 PM

You might like my solar cabin design. 400 sqft and built for under $2000. 350 watt solar electric under $1500. No house payments or monthly utility bills- life is great!

LaMar

www.simplesolarhomesteading.com

breweswane
#27 Posted : Friday, January 01, 2010 11:37:03 PM

Sure you can get a trailer house cheap or free but its still junk.

The least expensive real building is pole barn construction.

Waves5
#28 Posted : Friday, January 01, 2010 11:37:03 PM

Hi, I am a young single female who is disabled and needs some ideas for a really expensive house that I don't need to mortgage.  I want to build it on the back of a relatives 10 acre property.  I would like to build with local materials available.  Only problem is the land is filled with hardwoods and thats about it; no pine for a log cabin or hill to build a dugout in; just flat land with hardwoods on it.  I am in Northern Michigan so it is going to have to support that harsh winter climate.  I have minimal building experience, though have taken a couple different workshops and read many books on everything from building with cordwood to bottles; many of these homes aren't supportive of harsh winters, would have poor thermal mass for the climate or with materials I don't have access to.  It seems even the most simplist house ends up being expensive.  Any ideas for houses that can be built or bought?, maybe there is something out there I have yet to read about. I have lots of time, minimal experience and less than $5,000.  Thanks