Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Boycott Xmas Options
MC
#1 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 10:47:37 PM

I'd say, especially if you are the religious type, boycott CrapMass. 

And if you're in my situation (stuck with materialistic in-laws that you love in spite of their obvious faults and 3 kids who are guaranteed to get taken to ToysRUs if money is plentiful and to Dollar General if money is tight, no matter how many times you explain that you're being run out of the 800 livable sq ft of your house by the kids' possessions)????

Give lots of suggestions for low-crap gifts.  I'm getting time to make memory books for each of the kids, one afternoon apiece to give undivided attention, and an evening to myself.  Grandma GoodieGifter is going to help my 8-year-old piece a quilt out of purple fabric scraps we've been gathering all year.  We're using an old sheet for backing and a totalled quilt for batting.  It ought to have a really nice weight-- and I get to "keep" the quilt I adopted from my freshman roommate 13 years ago.  We're making a BIG ragdoll out of a worn-out sheet and polyfill salvaged from my decrepit couch for the baby.  I bought the yarn for its hair and embroidery floss for features from the Womens' Shelter Store for a buck.  My neighbor had some rough-sawn cedar going to rot in an old shed; I cleaned out the shed, and Grandpa GoodieGifter is going to get out the really cool craft saw and we're going to make a toy paddleboat for my 2-year-old.  After the holiday, I'm getting cedar shelves in my kitchen.

I can only preach so much though.  I splurged big this year.  I bought all 3 kids a huge craft table.  And two sacks of trainset, tracks, and buildings to go with it.  Someone must have refurbished a daycare.  It's commercial as all hell, even if I did bag it at the Helping Hands (allegedly, volunteer staffed and everything that doesn't go to keeping the lights on goes to food, medical, and housing assistance in the local community) for $65.   

If you feel like there has to be some stuff-- like the holiday is all about the short-term stuff-stoned looks on their faces-- set a strict budget, stick to it rigidly, and pay cash.  And PLEEEEZE check out your local thrift stores.  There's a really good chance that you're giving your money to a good cause in your local community.  Even if the cause isn't that hot or the money goes to a national organization, every thrift shop purchase you make sends $0 to China, India, or the Middle East (except, of course, for the gas to get there) and $0 to WalMart or other symbols of corporate evil.     

MC
#2 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2009 10:49:56 PM

Oh, yeah, and--  Sshhhhhh, but quite a bit of the time, you pay $0 in sales taxes on purchases at thrift shops run by nonprofits.  If you're into that kind of thing. 

John Edward Mercier
#3 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 5:21:53 AM

Actually I'm Catholic...

So all we do is eat together, and go to midnight mass.

allenwrench
#4 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 5:21:53 AM

Well, guys, I got my frost and the garden is about done. Every year about this time I pack up and head for some diving at the springs in N. Florida. So this will be it for me until next season. But I wanted to leave you with this last tidbit before I go.

Many of you rant and rave about how the gov is screwing you. Well, as a token message to show your displeasure, may I suggest you boycott xmas and don't support the spending season.

It is said that some businesses get 40% of their sales during this season. So without xmas things would be a bust.

I guess that is one of the big reasons that the fantasy that Jesus was born on Dec 25 never makes the headlines.

You check it out for yourself before you get all huffy at me. Yes, Jesus was not born on that day and the facts show he was never born at all. But don't worry so much about that fact, just concentrate on the Dec 25th day.

So tell all the greedy bastards running our world you will not support their fantasy any longer. And even if you are the religious / delusional type. Send them a message that you are sick of the status quo.

Good luck and see you next year!

BTW, if you grow your own food, recycle, reuse, repair and refuse to consume all that unneeded crap - you will collapse our economy and destroy our country...what a screwed up world we live in! But what a good way to send a message to the lying rhetoricians in DC