Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Anyone else having a bad year? Options
Durgan
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 12, 2009 7:20:01 PM

I drove through North Dakota from Vancouver in early August (Highway 2) and the field crops looked great.

My garden was poor this year due to much rain not a record but too often falling. The weather was cool so many plants did not thrive. Potato blight hit my tomatoes and some of the potatoes. Tomatoes were almost a complete disaster. One lady who gardened in this area for 45 years told me the tomato crop was the worst she could remember.

Carrots, cucumbers, beets, brussels sprout, crosne, raspberries, pears, peaches, blackberries, corn, hot peppers, zuchinni, egg plant, ground cherries, and garlic and onions were reasonable. Grapes are poor.. Luffah is below average.

All in all I would consider the growth to be below average, except for the tomato plants, which were a disaster.

Frosty
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2009 6:23:44 AM

If you drove the whole way through the state on 2, you were within a half mile of my place.  The field crops do look nice, but they should have been getting harvested or near harvest when you went through.  They are harvesting now, more than 3 weeks late.  Now we are geeting rain, and I have to wonder if they'll have sprouting problems and if they are having fungus problems.

I don't have late blight here, just early blight.  Lucky there, early blight doesn't make the tomatoes rot.

My poor raspberry plants got broke down when they had 4 feet of snow on them, just leveled the patch.  Bumper crop of Juneberries, decent on the bush cherries,  can't grow peaches and pears in zone 3 (though it's on my list of things to try), my grapes have a decent crop.  Corn was doing good before a family of racoons found it (usually have winter squash around the patch, but dh didn't get it in on time).   

Over all, everything is just late.  It needs to hurry up before it snows!  Just wondering if anyone is having a good year? 

Durgan
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:26:46 PM

Looking North of the Montana/North Dakota border or North of Wiliston about 400 miles is where I spent my early life (15 years)on a homestead of 160 acres. The place was Carrot River. This is about as far North where it is possible to grow wheat. The soil and moisure were acceptable, but the season was quite short.Winters were long an cold. The area was bush covered then, but now it has the appearance of the prairie, since all the trees have been removed. The land is as flat as a pancaake in most of the area. Parts of North Dakota are very similar.

John Stiles
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:45:14 PM

Some varieties of tomatoes didn't die back. All else was OK here in the Finger Lakes region but I have sand and raised beds.

Corn was good. Peppers good. Slow eggplants. Beans had some mold. Squash fine as other curibits. Don't do cabbage. Decent greens but too much rain sometimes to get small seeds up. Melons not good.

A month behind was normal.

Frosty
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 15, 2009 7:45:14 PM

This year has been... strange.  I put the tomatoes out in the beds that I double dug last year, didn't get them into the ground until sometime in May (had to wait for the snow to melt and the ground to dry a bit).  The plants were gorgeous, better than ever, but didn't start putting on tomatoes until late July (even though there were plenty of blossoms).  Juneberries (aka 'Service Berry' or 'Saskatoon Blueberry') usually are harvested late June/early July, this year it was late July/early August (I told folks that they are Augustberries).  Back to the tomatoes, they didn't start ripening until around Sept 5th!  I know it wasn't just me, everyone around here said the same thing.  The folks that had tomatoes a few weeks earlier at the farmers market have or have access to commercial greenhouses.  August nightime temps down to the 40's (one night down to 42F) didn't help, daytime temps in the 50's, low 60's.  Not record lows, but certainly didn't help!  Cucumbers are finally producing, and are absolutely gorgeous!  Great garlic crop, but again, about a month late.  Early blight has done some damage to the tomato crop, I went into the year planning to keep it all pruned, but the Juneberry harvest got in the way of those plans. 

My mother is in PA, and her tomato crop was delayed also.  Then when they started ripening, she got hit with the late blight that is plaguing the eastern side of the country.  Now late blight in potatoes in this area (from what I gather, it's a different strain?)

So how are your gardens doing?  Is anyone having a great year, and if so, where are you located?