Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

That elusive tomato bread recipe Options
Sarah/Librum
#1 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2009 6:46:35 PM

I looked through the unofficial index to our master set.  I struck out.  Can you give more detail? 

Sarah

ffertilemind
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 4:40:07 AM

Thank You,It was a long time ago.I'm not sure of the year,and it was just an awesome tomato bread.I was certain it was MEN,but now I wonder...........was Country Journal around back then? Oh well, I'm off to make up my own.Thanks again for looking!

Sarah/Librum
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:06:34 PM

If you are referring to Countryside and Small Stock Journal, yes, it was around.  I did a check versus that list, and came up empty, but that set is not complete.

But I do have one...

Tomato Bread:

Night before:

• 1 cup bread flour
  • 1/2 cup room temp water
  • 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast

Day of:

• 6 roasted tomatoes
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1/2 cup dark rye flour
  • 1/2 cup semolina
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup lukewarm water
  • 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast

Method

The night before you make this bread mix together all the " Night before " ingredients together till smooth in a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter for 12 to 16 hours. In the morning place this mixture into a large bowl. Add in the 3/4 cup water. olive oil, rye flour, semolina, sugar and instant yeast. Mix all together with a wooden spoon till smooth. Allow to rest uncovered for 10 minutes. Add in one cup of flour, salt and 3/4 of the roasted tomatoes. Mix till smooth. Now, pour out onto a well floured surface. Knead slowly adding more flour for 10 min. After kneading add in the rest of the roasted tomatoes. Using your hands squeeze in the tomatoes. Sprinkle just a little flour on top to soak up some of the liquid from the roasted tomatoes. Knead till smooth. Add a little olive oil to a bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Turn a few times to lightly coat all sides. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise till double, about 1 hour. Pour out dough onto a flat surface and cut in half to make two loaves. Flatten each piece to remove the gas. Roll up and pinch the seam closed with your fingers. Shape into a tube. Place onto a piece of parchment paper sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rest till double, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle a little bread flour on top and slash the tops of each loaf with a sharp knife. Place into a preheated 400 degree oven with a baking stone and a cast iron pan to create steam. To create some steam by placing a cast iron pan on the bottom of the oven the same time that you turn on the oven. Once you place the breads onto the baking stone pour about a cup of boiling water into the hot pan and close the door. Bake for 30 -35 minutes or till when tapped on the bottom of the loaf it sounds hollow. You can also stick a meat thermometer into the center and when it reads 180F it's ready. Remove and cool on a wire rack.

Sarah

ffertilemind
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:02:58 PM

Wow.Did you really go thru all that? Sounds like a long process I've been making the artisan bread that was featured in the mag back in March(?). What a revelation! So simple and nearly foolproof.I very rarely buy bread anymore. Check it out,marathon bread making is dead!  Sorry I forgot to say that the recipe was for a quick bread.

Sarah/Librum
#5 Posted : Saturday, August 01, 2009 11:12:22 PM

ffertilemind wrote:

Wow.Did you really go thru all that?

Oh, no.  That one was in the archives.  My man prefers as simple as possible.  Straight fresh ground grain, with potato levening.  Nothing more. He likes his bread two ways, 'fists', and 'slice'.  Fists are mini loafs, maybe six inches long.  Slice is full size, sliced for sopping.  I also make 'soup loaves', which are fists in small round pans.

^&*&^ forum software...

Sarah

ffertilemind
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 02, 2009 4:09:30 AM

Nice! When my kids were small I made wheat and sprouted wheat bread,I ground the wheat in a VitaMix, that was good stuff!  Can you tell me about the potato leavening? Is it better for the guts than yeast? I don't have a candida problem but I know lots of folks do, and yeast breads are bad news for them.

Sarah/Librum
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 02, 2009 6:49:15 PM

Potato leavening can be just as dangerous to folks with that condition, it depends on which natural organism or yeast is used.

I am not going to insult your intelligence, you can find better/simpler than I can give.  Actually, in your case, I suspect you want fancier, considering this thread started with 'tomato bread'.  Seriously do a google search.  Scads of information out there.

In my case, I use potato 'mother' dough, think of 'sourdough' (but is not 'sour', or have a 'sourdough' taste, such depends on the natural organisms involved), that I was given years ago.  Actually, mine is a combination of other mothers, several natural yeasts are present. 

I will give you some tips: 

One can use the boiled potato liquid instead of mother, but I find that hard to keep.  Some folks keep the liquid, out at room temperature, in a rubber ring jar, and use a few ounces.  I say hard to keep as the liquid must be kept sealed, as it will pick up other organisms if exposed, unlike mother, which defends itself.  

I strongly suggest you find somebody with a 'mother'.  The reason for this is that you do not know what organisms you are getting if you fresh start.  An established mother is self defensive against other yeasts.  There have been some bad poisonings from new starts, so find a 'mother'.

Do not expect as much 'rise', if any, from potato mother leavening.Wait, no, that is not always true, acorn meal does rise quite a bit.

I have never done 'sprouts', so I can not help you there.  We do have a ground breakfast sprout wheat cereal.  Think of 'cream of wheat'. 

Our breads, traditionally, are made from fresh ground cereal grains.  We grind, pan, add some mother, thoroughly knead, cover (but leave out, so it can expel gasses)(I usually just throw a dishtowel over the kneading bowl), let it rise (if it will) overnight, and bake the next day.

Oh, you can also make cookies using mother.  There we do get very fancy.  We do not like 'brick' cookies, but prefer them moist.  'Preserve' cookies are very popular. 

Sarah

lmwillis
#8 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:55:29 PM

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing.

ffertilemind
#9 Posted : Thursday, August 27, 2009 1:55:29 PM

Thanks Diane for the welcome and the cake recipe.I'm sure it's yummy ! So,I was looking for a tomato bread recipe that was in the magazine back in the late 70's-early 80's .I could improvise yes,but the recipe was just right.Can anyone locate this one?