Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Looking for info on Pyramoid Options
dropkick
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 07, 2003 9:11:13 AM

Did some looking --- no luck --- maybe there is a reason no one seems to be interested in this anymore?

Tried looking under pyramidoid also, as both words mean approximately the same thing (pyramid shaped)but no luck there either.

You might find something about it if you search "geodesic" but you will have to wade through a ton of material.

P.S. Is this Don Lubov the artist? Read a book written by an artist on building earth friendly shelters a while back (can''t remember who the author was, but it is possible it was Lubov), anyway, while the author had a few neat ideas he obviously had no building experience and had not tried most of his ideas out.
Many where unusable, as his planning was made from the perspective of an artist instead that of an architect, builder, or user.

mandy
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 08, 2003 5:18:11 PM

I just ran across that recently and now I can''t remember where I saw it. I was searching for alternative housing, modular housing, kit homes etc.
pate20135
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 08, 2003 10:09:08 PM

It was Don Lubov. We have that TMEN special in the Liburm. If memory serves me correctly, I think Don Lubov has ''passed''. Again, if memory serves me correctly, it was due to fire in the structure. This is one of the cases when I hope my memory is wrong.

I also recall a ''metal'' version of it. Don''t remember the reference for certain. I think it was on one of the ''metal wall stud'' manufacturers sites.

Pate
soasoar
#4 Posted : Monday, July 07, 2003 9:03:12 AM

Thank you all for your replies. Mandy, Pate, please post the site that you found your info on if you remember.
Tommy
(new signature ''cause I forgot my password)
mmkrockaway
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 17, 2009 4:51:34 PM

I see that Don Lubov is teaching as of this Spring in Florida - so I don't think he's "passed," though there might have been a fire in the 30x30ft pyramoid structure he designed and built - don't know about that.  He has numerous other almost fractal drawings of the same kind of pyramidal iterations - very pretty & worthy of looking at...  Not sure where you heard your information (of course now this thread is two years old...)  I almost built one of his structures, instead built an icosahedral structure instead.

Mark

mmkrockaway@msn.com

revbruce
#6 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2009 5:29:37 PM

Here is a link to the only thing I could find on the web besides Don's website. pyramodule.com 

Hope that helps.

LaserBillA
#7 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2009 8:05:36 PM

The closest thing I've ever done to that was the ice fort I built as a kid.

I made a 5 sided mold with a removable divider and poured water into it and let it freeze. to make each panel.

The problem with doing this with plywood and foam is that, unless you have access to a custom plywood press, you end up with a lot of waste scrap. This means that domes and other "non square" structures are best built out of pourable or moldable materials.

The coolest method I've seen so far is the inflated concrete domes where they pour the concrete over the form flat and then inflate the bladder to raise it up into shape before the concrete hardens.

soasoar
#8 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2009 8:05:36 PM

I am trying to find info on a building style discussed in the 1983 edition of MEN's Mother's Guide to Homebuilding and Shelter.
The structure is called a Pyramoid, designed and created by one Don Lubov. It is a combination of a dome and pyramid in which the self-supporting exterior is composed of 12 congruent right isosceles triangles fitted together in a "dome-ish" shape.
So far, I have not even been able to come up with a web site (other than Webster's dictionary) that contains "pyramoid". Any help would be appreciated.
Tommy