Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Crownlady is back!!! Options
jd
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 11, 2009 6:55:38 PM

Well, C-L, my take on the forums is that we seem to lack for consistency and energy these days.  And I am just as guilty.  I used to check in every day but now I check in once a week and, even then, there may be no new posts.  It's a bit discouraging.  In the past, this was my 'daily connection' with  ether-friends but most, it seem aren't here anymore and those that are are just checking in now and then.  Occssionally a hot topic will get a flurry of activity but nothing like the raging fires we used to have.  Too bad.  I really enjoyed the 'haydays'.  

On a brighter note, the forum software is acting up less - tho there are still a few 'quirks'.

As for topics, well, maybe we are all reeling from too many or apathy has overcome us.  I don't know which.  The cash-for-clunkers is a topic unaddressed.  So is the increasing incidents of weird and violent weather.  Afghanistan, Iraq and the peripheral átrocity-ridden' nations should generate some traffic but, if there is a 'feeling' coming from all this silence, it is fatigue.   

As I recall, you were a Bush supporter so I am intrigued enough to ask if, after all this time, your opinions on him and his cronies have changed?  Your Republican stripes may be the same but what are your thoughts on the historically unpopular GWB?  I am also curious to know how the ravaged economy is affecting everyone...........you guys see the economic trouble up your way?  I am also curious about the óld gang' How are they doing and what has changed for them?  Some have dropped in but the lack of activity proved boring and so they left.  As I do, from time to time.

Anyway, glad you are back. 

jd

Sarah/Librum
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 1:19:01 AM

Ummm, Crownlady, I am not sure how long you have been gone.  We are keeping busy, but with Majere having passed, we are still a bit 'headless' here.  The projects keep me busy, as does my duties at the school.  My husband is getting more onery with age, and my two little ones keep me jumping.

Sarah

crownlady
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:17:10 AM

JD how happy you are here and not one of the missing.  I have joined a couple of blogs and we have quite lively chit chat back and forth.  Mostly gals but they would love to get a piece of you....How is life and is your home complete.  You were doing a ton of work and a lot of unheard of things at your place.  I hope it all went well.

If I was a Bush supporter that sure changed.  I was very disappointed in him.  I admired him so after 9/11 but after that it was downhill.  I have mostly been a democrat all my life but lately like to be called independent.  I have mixed feelings about Obama.  It is kind of a love hate relationship.  There are times I think he could be one of our great presidents and other times his inexperience in life and government show.

Life is good in Indiana.  Hubby and I avoided the stock crash.  That was really something.  Twice in recent years.  9/11 and now this..depression, recession, whatever we call it.  I feel like we are a house of glass ready to shatter at any time and I fear for my children and grandchildren.  They live in a completely different world than I lived in.  We never lived on credit cards and they can't live without them.  Houses as big as hotels and fine dining five days a week.  Amazing how life has changed. 

I am rambling but will write more.  So happy to hear from you.  Thanks for the hello.

crownlady
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 4:29:29 AM

JD you are right..this is bad.  Nothing much happening at all.  I remember this was a hopping place with lots of back and forth.  I just replied to one of the topics and darn if it wasn't from more than a year ago.  Color me..stupid.  lol

Farside
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:05:11 PM

Hey CrownLady.  Nice to see you again.  As you have already noticed, things here have slowed way down.  I know I don't visit here as often as before.  The subject matter isn't as interesting now.  Maybe things can turn around and this place can become a regular meeting place again... we shall see.  Alrighty, I'm outta here.  Be good, nice seeing you, keep in touch.

jd
#6 Posted : Friday, August 14, 2009 7:39:06 PM

Well, C-L, you sure know how to get my attention........."Mostly gals but they would love to get a piece of you...."

Normally such a line would entice me to join such a group in an instant.  I used to have plenty of pieces to go around.  But, at 61, I am husbanding my wrinkly old pieces since the supply is rapidly diminishing.  God knows, I may run out of pieces one of these days.

It's funny you should say that about Obama.  I like the guy.  I think I'd enjoy his company.  But there is definitely something a bit naive about him.  Maybe that's a good thing but it was just plain silly to 'have a beer' with the professor and the cop.  All that says is: "I am not THAT busy and I think I can fix everything."  I wonder if Obama would have a beer with me and my neighbour if we had a quarrel?  

I also loved the first few speeches but then I noticed distinct similarities to JFK and MLK speeches.  Almost quotes but without the atributions.  To my way of hearing, that is superficial.  I don't want superficial.  I want real.  Good oratory is a gift.  Continuous good oration is a type of deception.  Old geezers used to call it the 'gift of gab'.    

Still, all in all, Obama is saying the right things.  In my opinion.  But the bailouts were bad.  They may have been necessary but they'll come back to haunt the American people if they aren't already.  I am also not so keen on protectionism.  It is a 'dirty trick'.  Countries like Canada bent over backwards and caved in on all sorts of issues for the security of NAFTA and now Obama is preaching 'buy American'.  In a way, I am in favour of buying local and supporting ýour own'.  But, in this case, it is changing the rules of the game after you have scored the first few goals.  Not fair. 

As for the 'house of glass' description: I agree.  When you listen to people regarding climate change like James Lovelock  plus you look at the high stakes world in which we all live, it is scary.  But getting out of the city was a good move.  I feel good out here in the forest.  It has been very good for both Sally and me. 

This week we have four Chinese university students staying with us.  We host four every year.  It is always fun and entertaining.  They are so different from us.  And our 'country life' is just amazing to these locked-in-small-room students.  What a horrible life they have.  One girl is graduating as an accountant (and she doesn't like accounting) and is taking a job at Price Waterhouse in Hong Kong.  Her official duties require her to work 9 to 6.  "Fair enough", I said.  But the 'culture' of Hong Kong, the competitiveness, the lack of 'rights' and standards have all made it such that all the junior employees (under five years of working time) work till midnight every day, six days a week!  This young woman, in the prime of her life, is going to stare at numbers on a screen for 15 hours a day, six days a week!  And she is not alone.  They all do something similar.  And school was just as bad.  They live in smog-choked cities and work like drones.  And this is a FIRST WORLD country (HK is rated that way, tho China as a whole is not).

"They are going to blow us out of the water!"  No, they aren't.  It is killing them.  It is killing their environment, it is killing their young people, it is killing their sense of life and culture.  And I feel sorry for them.  Proof: every student we have ever had wants to come back, dig for clams, play with the dogs and sleep in.  These kids (at 23-26) are exhausted!   

davisonh
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 3:53:56 AM

Hi Crownlady how have you been?..Yes it has been a long time.And yea things have slowed down a lot here.I'm still doing the advice thing here and there are a few who popin now and then.Yes China makes you think about how things kind of used to be here in North America.They'll change I am betting albeit slowly.

practicalman45
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2009 7:36:11 PM

Hello CrownLady, nice to see you pop in. I left here for awhile too, I couldn't find the new one for a long time. Maybe thats why most folks left?   It is not what it was. Maybe we can still have fun here and it will build back up. Good to see you. Stick around.

crownlady
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:49:47 PM

Ok Jd you had to get me going didn't you.  I am hardly back and we shall be going back and forth.

Population is the problem in China and Japan and of course now America.  In China and Japan they at least educate their populus.  In America we simply put them into the system.  Bad housing, projects, lack of even a primary education, no jobs and of course welfare.  The welfare system is crippling our great nation and its growth.  It is also bringing us down as a culture.  Just turn on the television some night and watch what our children are seeing as "role models".  Women scantly dressed, sex, rap talk.  We are certainly headed down the tubes if something doesn't change the direction we are heading.

I notice in China and Japan education is soooo important.  Yes their jobs and working hours are terrible but they have jobs and they have education.

I think anybody living in one of our ghettos would love their education, job and everything they have.

Population control is my answer to these pressing problems.   You can believe the bleeding hearts would fight that tooth and nail.   We are out of control.

crownlady
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 9:51:39 PM

Hello Farside, Practicalman and Davidson..Sarah hello to you too. 

If I don't get banned for starting a stimulating conversation I hope to see more of you soon.  Maybe we can get back to some of the interesting conversations we used to have.  Fingers are crossed.

jd
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:53:05 PM

Welfare isn't what's dragging down the great ol' USofA.  It's greed.  And elitist privilege.  What made your country great - principles of equality - has been displaced by economic elitism.  Not good.  Welfare is just a symptom, really.  People cheat the system (and not everyone does) because cheating is now part of the system.  To 'get while the getting is good' has become part of the Ámercian way'.  Too bad.  It used to be about sharing and community.  Now it's all about Number One getting all he can even if it is more than anyone needs. 

The Chinese and the Japanese aren't the problem.  They have enough problems of their own.  Firstly the Chinese one-child policy is now coming back to haunt them.  In twenty years they will have the oldest population and no social security to care for them.   China will collapse.  And their education sucks.  These students can recite tons of drivel all by rote but they have no idea what it all means.  They have trouble 'thinking on their own'.  You want a good robot?  I feel sorry for them.  They are so limited in their education and yet have to slave to achieve it. And then they are rewarded by being stuck in an office and worked 12 hours a day.  Reward: small apartment, smog, totalitarian government and a cell phone that takes pictures of other slaves.  Tragic.   

Population?  Yeah, we have too many people, I guess.  But that will show up as the planet's sytems collapsing from abuse.  Virtually all of Chinas' rivers are polluted.  Too many people or too little regard for the natural world?  Both I guess.  Glaciers melting, CO2 levels changing climate, fish stocks depleted........this is the the legacy of greed.  We paved paradise and put up a parking lot. 

davisonh
#12 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2009 2:37:56 AM

Yes and I'll add to that jd the fact that only now we learn,as the inevitabilities encroach upon us all,our real purpose for being here.We find out the awful truth that our higher power no matter what it be did not intend to 'give' us our resources,we were supposed to be intelligent enough to figure out on our own that we are supposed to be taking care of what is here now.None of what exists on the planet was'given to us by God',God or whatever made it our responsibility to use what we needed to make better what exists now,the fact that we're choking on our own waste is proof that we need to do a much better job of this.The first task is to get rid of the petroleum and the coal.Painful yes,but necessary,there are better ways to get around and make power without choking whats left of what we breathe.Second,educate,educate,educate.Make sure others know why we're doing what we're doing.Third undo what we don't need.If that means ripping up unneeded shopping centers to plant woods,then so be it.We've had our big population explosion and  there is not the population  ,to be able to support what we built and still be able to live within our means.Highways are an example of that.So many highways are in disrepair as well as bridges and other infrastructure it would take twice the population we have now to support them and run the government.Yes welfare is an effect not a cause.So is public healthcare.Mind you CL the private companies already have 'death lists' trust me.Dont go that route,it's already done.Take a look at how your insurance is set up and you'll see.

crownlady
#13 Posted : Monday, August 24, 2009 2:37:56 AM

Hello old friends,  I have missed you.  Kind of got disconnected from the discussions for a while.  Met up with a couple of friends on Facebook and that brought me back.  I see some of the old "regulars" are still posting.  Now it feels like home.  Update me on the happenings.  I am lost.

Friends, Crownlady