Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Heritage rabbits rock! Options
karisma22
#1 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2007 4:00:45 AM

Yep! I push the heritage breeds every chance I get. I have a friend who raises American Rabbits (both blue and white). I don''t have any heritage breeds yet, but will be getting some heritage chickens sometime this year. My daughter is waiting for an American rabbit as well. We will be getting some Lilac rabbits in the near future.

Welcome to the list.
cremerabbits
#2 Posted : Friday, January 12, 2007 6:47:07 PM

Oh, good for you! Americans are really struggling...the ARBA was even considering dropping whites a couple of years ago. I think since the ALBC has gotten on the bandwagon with rabbits, there seems to be a lot more interest in them.

Frankly, I think rare breeds are a great choice for homesteaders...yeah, they may not be as efficient at cranking out the meat as a breed bred for commercial production, but does that really matter on the homestead?
karisma22
#3 Posted : Monday, January 15, 2007 2:32:45 AM

The whites were very close to being dropped from the standard. However, there were enough at Convention to keep them in the standard. Hopefully having ALBC include them will help with their preservation. The were a lot of us who wrote letters to the ALBC requesting that they list rabbits. It took awhile, but they finally did.
francorios
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 20, 2007 4:54:49 AM

Hi Guys!

I found this forum by accident!

Anyway, I have American Blue & White rabbits, American Chinchillas, and Satin Angora rabbits.

I have info related to raising meat rabbits and
some info about Rare Breed Rabbits on my website
http://www.rabbitgeek.com

My lovely wife Tracy raises Satin Angoras
http://www.angoras.net

Have a good day!
Franco Rios
karisma22
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 24, 2007 6:59:49 AM

Hi Franco,

It''s nice to see another rabbit person on the forums. We''re on several of the same rabbit groups. Welcome to M.E.N. forums.

Pengyou
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 07, 2007 5:10:30 PM

Quote: Thoughts on rare rabbits?

I prefer my rabbits medium well :)

oldhaus
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 20, 2009 2:41:50 PM

We're in the "rare rabbit" club too...

We raise Giant, French and Satin Angoras, American Fuzzy Lops, Flemish Giants, and Mini Lops.

We also collect, blend and spin their wool

you can find more on our little rabbitry @ http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M25637

Thank you!

Scott
#8 Posted : Friday, August 07, 2009 5:28:37 PM

I have been looking for a non-GM, organic feed for my chickens in bulk and reasonable. I live south of Atlanta. The sad thing is, providing organic chickens and eggs cost a great deal more, so the profit margins are very slim. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Scott

http://tysonlakefarms.blogspot.com/

"How much evil throughout history could have been avoided had people exercised their moral acuity with convictional courage and said to the powers that be, 'No, I will not. This is wrong, and I don't care if you fire me, shoot me, pass me over for promotion, or call my mother, I will not participate in this unsavory activity.' Wouldn't world history be rewritten if just a few people had actually acted like individual free agents rather than mindless lemmings?" - Joel Salatin

cremerabbits
#9 Posted : Friday, August 07, 2009 5:28:37 PM

This is my first post here, so a quick introduction is probably in order. [:)] We live on a small farm in south-central Virginia. We raise a variety of small animals, including ducks, turkeys, chickens, and rabbits. All of our birds are day range/free range, raised with a minimum of chemical inputs. Most of our flock consists of heritage breeds. I also have a small bunny barn with about 35 adult animals for food, fancy, fiber, and fur. In addition to the rabbits for family use, we also sell a few fryers to the "local" slaughterhouse.

Are you all aware of heritage rabbits? The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy (www.albc-usa.org) added rabbits to their conservation list last year. There's several breeds that are really struggling, so if you're thinking about raising rabbits on your homestead, a rare breed could be a great choice! I got our heritage bunns, Creme d'Argents, about 18 months ago and have really enjoyed working with them.

Thoughts on rare rabbits?
jjgrappler
#10 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 2:05:00 PM

I have been raising Americans and Silver Fox for the past 2 years. I had no idea the Whites were struggling as bad as they are. I must admit I have been out of the loop for a little while though, I am moving in the next month or so to a new 1.5 acre homestead and the first thing on my agenda is to up my bredding program and get my rabbitry to where I want it.
jjgrappler
#11 Posted : Sunday, September 01, 2013 2:07:22 PM

Franco is the American club going to do their yearly rabbit swap this year? Although white rabbits aren't my cup of tea per se I would not mind helping out and getting them back on track if there is real and serious interest in preserving and prmoting this wondeerful breed.