Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Introductions? Options
grandmadiane
#1 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 2:17:52 AM

Hi! Welcome to MEN! We used to have alot of people posting recipes on this site, but not any more. If your mountain woman has any good recipes, I'd be happy to have them. We had a family reunion today and I took potato salad and a chocolate cake. Here's my recipe. At least all the women loved it! 

Too Much Chocolate Cake

Yield:1 12 cup Bundt cakeIngredients 1 (18.25 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups semisweet chocolate chipsDirections
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together the cake and pudding mixes, sour cream, oil, beaten eggs and water. Stir in the chocolate chips and pour batter into a well greased 12 cup Bundt pan.
  3. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until top is springy to the touch and a wooden toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool cake thoroughly in pan at least an hour and a half, invert and remove from pan. You can top with a dusting of powdered sugar if desired.
  4. If you wanted I'm sure you can use 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce to cut back on the fat. It would still be moist with the sour cream in it. Brought back home only a couple pieces  with me.

grandmadiane
#2 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 2:20:52 AM

Oops! Sorry! I should have posted this on Kithchen and cooking.  Diane

weehen
#3 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 7:34:54 AM

Welcome Ffertilemind

I'm also new here, and unlike you I'm fairly new to MEN, but not the philosophy or ideals behind it.  Those started when I was in 4th grade and my teacher had us do a project on fossil fuels!

We've recently moved country, so I am struggling to find my feet in USA after living most of my life in Australia.  I'm also living in the 'burbs, and would definitely like to be in a more rural area, on a few acres.  The whole homesteading lifestyle appeals to me enormously, and now more than ever, with the impending collapse of the economy etc.

I'm learning about composting, organic gardening/permaculture, pickling etc, making water potable, solar-powered cooking but very slowly, since I work full-time, have very limited resources and 2 small children. 

I'm looking forward to getting to 'know' a few like-minded souls and learn everything I can about how to live more simply and self-sufficiently.

Grandmadiane - the cake sounds absolutely divine! Yum!

WH

ffertilemind
#4 Posted : Monday, July 20, 2009 7:34:54 AM

Hello All, I'm new to this site,but by no means new to MEN.I began here looking for a recipe from the archives and found myself perusing the gamut of these forums.Certainly alot of good discussion and community happening here.Keep up the good work! Wish I had gotten this machine(pc) a long time ago! Stubborn mountain woman FINALLY awakens to the potentials at her fingertips!!! And I can't think of a better place to start than good old Mother Earth News.