Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Rabbits 101 Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:39:07 AM

I am not familiar with Oxbow's 15/23 pellets, I am assuming that it's a type of rabbit food?  Regardless, I would be really hesitant to limit the diet to just one food... I also used to give my bunnies a bit of alfalfa hay.  A few thoughts... has your bunny ever been checked for worms?  Parasites can cause diarrhea.  Where do you get the timothy?  When feeding hay, you really need to make sure that it hasn't been treated with any type of pesticides.  I bought some alfala cubes meant for horses and gave some to a bunny and it killed the bunny, ever since I just picked alfalfa and grass on my own property (I don't spray) and dried it for winter use.  I am not sure that timothy has enough protien?    
Tish
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:47:50 PM

Thank you for your reply. I order the Timothy hay online and it says certified organic-- Indeed, the Oxbow's pellets is a rabbit food. Thanks for your suggestions--
Frosty
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2009 6:01:56 AM

I looked up the Oxbow after I replied... isn't the 15/23 for baby bunnies and lactating females?  Maybe there is too much protien?  I found the following info in a UMN article... http://www.fourh.umn.edu/mnrabbit/Feed%5B1%5D.pdf  Might have something that would help... I would check see if there is some type of maintenance diet for adult rabbits and try that.  How about the water?  Well, municipal... could there be something in it?  If the diarrhea is bad, keep a close eye on hydration.  Hope he gets better! 
Tish
#4 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2009 11:20:15 PM

The 15/23 is a bunny basic food, for young or old. However, I have read that they don't need all the pellets (esp. older rabbits), more essential is the timothy hay, which I have provided more of than the other. I'm going to try less than an 1/8 cup of pellet, as he is quite small, and feed primarily the hay, along with green, leafy veggies. The water is fine and filtered. I'm going to try this and see if things change up. I'm trying the link you posted. Thanks!
Tish
#5 Posted : Friday, January 09, 2009 6:18:29 PM

After a week or so, of altering Gnip's food (sugg'd in prev.posts above), I'd like to report that the diarreah is no longer an issue. The daily feed of timothy hay, fresh veggies, and a handful of pellets, has him in good stead. Thanks again for your help!
Frosty
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:34:21 AM

Thank you for the update, I am really glad that bunny is better!  I hate it when the little ones have problems.  Looking at the Oxbow line, maybe either the Organic Rabbit or Bunny Basics T would work for you?  They are both formulated for adult rabbits.  I don't raise rabbits anymore, quit that before we ever got a computer (which would have been wonderful to have!).  I used to feed them Purina Rabbit Chow.  Might not have been as good as the Oxbow, I don't know, but they did good on it.  I did have problems when I tried the Dumor feed, can't remember what the problems were. 

Best of luck, give Mr Bunny a scritch for me! 

oldhaus
#7 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 4:09:03 AM

Be very carfull giving "greens" (aka moist food) to rabbits.  It can throw off their digestive track & yes they get the runs.  Bad enough and it can kill.   If your bunny does get diahreah, stop pellets & treats, feed Timothy Hay, and give a couple cc's of yogurt...  Strawberry or Bannana are their favorite flavors!

We only feed "Manna Pro Gro" 18% protine feed.  The majority of our rabbits are Angoras so the higher protine is better.  Most regular quality feed is ~16%.  Most importantly check the date, feed can get stale, just like "Corn Flakes" ...

Good Luck w/ your bunnies

JLH

Oldhaus Fibers & Rabbits

www.oldhaus.net

Tish
#8 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2009 4:09:03 AM

I have a Dwarf Netherlands rabbit. He is about 2 yrs. young. I have been feeding him Oxbow's 15/23 pellets, along with timothy hay, and fresh fruit. He has diarrhea every other day. At first, I thought it was the fresh or dried apples, and cut them out, though, it continues. Recently, I have read that I should be feeding him strictly the timothy hay. Is it the pellets that I should discontinue feeding him? Thank you for your help!