Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Ginger root Options
GregB
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2009 12:59:12 AM

Anybody?.....Anybody?

Greg

grandmadiane
#2 Posted : Monday, June 01, 2009 12:07:26 AM

Well, I don't use too much ginger and the only way I know how to use it is like you. Peel it and either slice it or grate it. It freezes well, so sometimes I put it in a freezer baggie and just use it when needed. Sorry I'm not much help.

Diane

GregB
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 03, 2009 6:15:46 PM

Thanks for the reply, Diane. My question, though, is about the skin itself. Is it edible? I've been presuming to date that it's not, so I've tried peeling the skin off, which is easy enough for one "stub" or two. But then it gets more tricky as one has less and less to hold onto. How to get the skin off the thing (and whether or not it's even necessary to begin with) is my whole question.

Thank you.

Greg

P.S. As I sit here and pciture it in my mind, I suddenly realize I may have the answer. (Sorry, Im a little slow sometimes...) I had been peeling the skin off and then peeling that part of the root previously, then moving on to another part once that got down near zero. Maybe what I need to be doing instead is peeling skin off the entire root first. Then peel or grate the rest of the root as a whole...

isun
#4 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 2:34:32 AM

You can either peel it with a spoon and mince it if you have the patience, or if you have a decent asian market near you, there's a little implement made of ceramic or aluminum that have nasty little teeth on them that will puree the ginger and your finger if you aren't careful.  If you have a microplane, you don't even have to peel it, just grate away and the microplane will sort out the skin and fibers from the good stuff.

Frosty
#5 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 9:28:16 AM

I use a paring knife to peel the outside part off and slice it up, then get my chopping knife to mince it.  I tried using a fine grater for it (like I use for parmesan cheese) but apart from it being a pain and somewhat hazardous to my fingers, I use the ginger in stir fries and find that the finely grated ginger tends to burn when it hits the hot oil.  I don't have that problem with the minced ginger.  Usually I am mincing garlic, too so I just do one right after the other.  I would have replied to your first message, but figure that my method with the paring knife wouldn't be any easier for you. 

GregB
#6 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2009 9:28:16 AM

How is fresh ginger root best "processed" (cut up, sliced, shaved)? The one and only time I've tried using it, all I could think of was to skin it with a peeler like a carrot or potato, which worked fine with the first two "limbs". But from there, as it "shrunk", the process started becoming a lot more tedious. I figured there's got to be a better way to do this...

Help???