Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Newbie at subsistance living looking for info and friends! Options
Big C
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:11:35 AM

We have 8 acres here in north Texas and have been for 15 years using organic techniques to transform what was once inorganic farmland into our current natural state. We own a garden center and nursery and have been in business since 94. Have been converting 2 of our greenhouses and a couple acres for semi free range chickens, expanded our gardens over the winter and refencing the perimeter for a couple head of cattle to raise off. Used to have several horses but are now down to one thru attrition. Always wanted to do this and have been working toward this for many years. In our area we can benefit from wind power. Have been researching this for a few years and would invest in this but have heard that the electric companies have lobbied congress for an exemption to the buy back excess generated energy clause that is current law. Maybe things will become clearer in a few months and the prices of this investment will go down. Currently its about 12 grand for a 3-5 year return on investment.
Karl Grant
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:34:43 PM

We have 21 acres on which we raise all of our own vegetables, orchard fruits and berries, plus hereitage breed chickens for meat and eggs, turkeys, guineas, ducks, sheep (katahdins and dorpers), cattle (dairy and beef), and hogs. We're trying our hand at growing home-use grains to increase our self-reliance.

If you want some resource for learning more about this self-reliant life, you can buy a lot of good books through Mother Earth that are loaded with good information and direction.  There is also an excellent series of homesteading books available, Today's Homestead, that can be purchased at www.amazon.com. Volume I is all about the homestead arts of candle making, cheese making, soap making, canning, freezing, dehydrating, homestead dairying, natural remedies and cleaning supplies and many other things. Volume II is all about the garden, from veggies and herbs to orchard fruits and berries. They have excellent reviews so far.

Good luck in your endeavors and if there's anything I can do to help you on this amazing journey, don't hesitate to ask!

Karl

Ralph
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2009 4:34:43 PM

Just retired after 44 years and have begun taking my 10 acres in rural Iowa to a self reliance parcel.  I have chickens on order (25) and have also begun raising rabbits (New Zealand Giants)  I have 3 does and 1 buck.  I expect the first litter of babies this weekend.  I am planning on fencing in about 4 acres for my chickens to free range and also thinking I will be getting at least one sheep for grass control.  I have a small fishing pond that I am raising bass, catfish and blue gill for food and I have about a 1/4 acre tilled for a large vegatable garden.  There is also two peach trees and two apple trees on the property that we harvest and can each year.  I am an avid hunter and fisherman with my own boat.  We have no problem getting our own meat stuffs.  We can about 500 - 600 quarts of garden items each year and have doubled the garden size this past fall.

I have a dilapadated root cellar that I will be re-working this spring.  I am also thinking about doing something with alternative energy but finances are a problem.  We are in our sixties and don't really want to over invest in this property but do want to get the most out of it.

I would be interested in corresponding with like minded people that we can share ideas with.  Let me know if you are interested.

Ralph Paulding