Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Smoked peppers Options
zoebisch01
#1 Posted : Monday, August 06, 2007 1:18:32 PM

Whenever I have peppers and the smoker going, I always string them up and take advantage of it.  Sounds like a good way to use them celtic.
gem
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 1:47:22 AM

Hi,

How long did you leave in smoker?We have plenty of small cayannes and would like to try this .Would we fill the water pan?Any info would be appreciated.Thanks.

celtic2
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2008 4:45:34 PM

I cooked them about 1/2 hour, just until the skin was kinda brown, the meat was finished when I put them in. I left the water pan in, but there wasn't much water in it.
Computer Cowboy
#4 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2009 4:49:58 PM

Something similar that you might want to try is homemade chipotles. They're pretty spendy in the store, so I make a bunch of them every fall with excess jalapenos so I always have plenty onhand. The best chipotles are made from fully ripe, red jalapenos. The way I do it is to smoke them with prunings from the fruit trees until they're really shriveled, several hours at least. Then I dry them in the sun until they're dry and leathery (easy, here in the arid Southwest, others may have to use a dehydrator), but not hard and crunchy. They keep that way for years in a clean, sealed mason jar, if they're in a cool, dark place. Be warned, though: the process just about doubles the heat, so adjust recipes accordingly.  I once followed a recipe to make chipotle garlic roasted chicken, and the boss of the house cussed me black and blue after one bite.

celtic
#5 Posted : Friday, June 05, 2009 4:49:58 PM

I smoked some of my extra Anaheim peppers (with hickory wood on the 4th) and canned them in garlic and vinegar. I injected the "juice" into a pork roast Friday and cooked it on my electric rotisserie yesterday. It was sooooooooo good! A light smoky garlic flavor, just a little pepper heat. I guess I'll quit giving them away for a while, smoke and can them!

As far as recipe.....
I just crammed them in clean jars while they were still hot with 2 cloves of garlic each. Then poured boiling white vinegar in on top and attached the lids.