Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Advice for single woman homesteader to be? Options
HockeyFan
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2008 2:28:46 PM

My personal feeling (I'm cheap and worry about debt) is that I'd stay where you are and pay off the car first.  That'll elminate the $440 car payment before you have to deal with a mortgage.

As far as a goal of self reliance, I'd get a good garden going where you live and stay put and work on elminating debt.  That way, when you want to buy land, you wont be held back by other obligations.

Earth Home Project:
www.freewebs.com/stocktonunderground

Leekat
#2 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 5:15:49 AM

Thank you for your response, while I agree with you in theory, there are a few points that make that difficult.

first, unless I move to a new rental, and pay over 1000 a month, I won't really have room for a garden. Rent prices here are outrageous, and if I am paying that much a month anyway, I may as well be buying. We have raised beds and potted plants here, but the reality is we live in a small duplex in the city. I have searched for a rural rental for the past three years, I have even craiglisted and given offers to work for part rent or whatever would work, but here in Oregon, it is expensive.

Staying in place would be fine for me for a bit more if it wasn't for four children growing up fast. They all miss the country and so do I. To tell them to stay here in the city another year or two because of debt really is difficult to do. At one time they ahd chickens, goats, dogs, cats, rabbits and more, now they have a goldfish.

I always hear people say "just do it" and stop waiting for the someday. I have made up my mind that we are going back to the country,

I did get a call about a job today, which is about 40 miles away in a rural area and would increase my income by over 1k a month, so maybe the answer is solved, if so, then grad school and more debt wouldn't be an issue, all the extra income would go to savings/debt.

Thanks for your response!

HockeyFan
#3 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2008 7:15:23 AM

I hope it works out.

Earth Home Project:

Mare Owner
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2008 2:57:59 AM

The only advice I can give is to take things one step at a time.  Once you decide to move and start homesteading, it's hard to wait and take time to make the transition well for yourself and your family, because once it's "decided" you can hardly wait to start.  :)

Two or three acres is a small property, so might be within city limits.  Be sure you check all the rules and regulations with the city before you buy.  Some places have limitations on animals, and fences.  It's easier to move somewhere that allows what you want to do, than lobby to change the ordinances after you've moved.  Also, there might be limitations on your second dwelling/apartment, find about that also.

On a small property you'll also have to figure in the feed costs for any animals, as you might find you can't grow enough to feed them all year.  Do you want a barn or shed/coop?  That might be an issue in city limits too.

HockeyFan
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:41:23 AM

My advise is before buying the land, learn who your neighbors will be and ask questions.  They'll let you know things about the area and things they don't like particularly. 

After buying the land, make sure your new neighbors know your name and contact information so they can call you if they need to, and get their numbers.  If there's a fire in the area, someone might know about it before you and give you advance warning.  In addition, friendly neighbors tend to help each other.

Learn the emergency numbers and what to do in case of a fire; where to go in a medical emergency.  Learn your gps location in case you have to call a medical helicopter for help (they'll know how to find your location).

Get a gun and learn how to use it.  You never know when you might be threatened by a wild animal, snake, or sometimes the rare two-legged animal.

Earth Home Project:

davisonh
#6 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2008 12:59:49 AM

Does your line of work require you to be at a 'workplace'?Is working at home an option?I know of many educators working for online colleges from home..Many companies are now taking a serious look at keeping a lot of their mid/low level employees working from home if they dont need to be available in person.Accountants,clerical workers,etc are increasingly being told to work from home to save on the cost of gas,employee commuting time and the cost of holding employees in a building,thanks to the Internet.Its a thought..

tittiger
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:05:02 PM

Kat,I think that many like you would be better served by joining up with others.  Check out my proposal at: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcmqs8s2_147q8gx8kd2

and see what you think.

Best,

Joe

Leekat
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2009 10:05:02 PM

Greetings, I have a few questions and I am seeking advice. I have battered this through my brain so much that anymore I can't really figure out the pros and cons and choices. I thought maybe sending this out to like minded people may be helpful to me.

Heres the "facts"

Im 32 years old, have four children. I am in the process of finding property, and while I love the concept of complete sustainable living, and tried to work towards that when I was married several years ago its not a reality right now. I am thinking half-way homesteading at least until the youngest kids are in high school or so (they are only 5 and 7 right now, older ones are 12 and 13)

Im hoping for about 2-3 acres, rural, large garden, chickens for eggs, goats for weed control, rabbits for compost. Oh, and a big dog! Butchering of animals is just not something I am able to do right now, though I wish to God I could lol. I just don't have it in me and I know that I would end up with a pet cow that would be expensive to feed.

This way of living isn't new to me, but after my divorce I moved into town to get my degree and had to leave it all behind. I am almost done, so ready to go back to this way of living.

Now, for my dilemma, Right now I am working in the non-profit spectrum and making about 50k a year. I am tired of the stress, I will graduate college in June and I owe just about 18k in student loans. I have three options.

1) stop here, work for the state, make about 40k and have good insurance, but I would end up working a m-f 9-5 job, not so sure its what I want to do, but it could work for awhile, leaving weekends for me to work on the property. I could pay off the loans quickly, and consider other options later.

2) I could go another 22 months (part-time) and become a teacher. The benefit is I could always find a teaching job in rural areas, benefits are good, time off is fantastic (summers, leaving me time to really dig into rural living and the gardens and kids). However I would have to take out another 25k to do this. I probably could take out less then that if I am careful, but I worry about the debt I would incur.

3) I could get my MSW, which would increase my income, have the state pay for it, and then work for them for 3 years. This seems like the most logical choice, but again, working m-f 9-5 really feels heavy right now, and I recognize that I need more then just weekends to get things done that will need to be done.

I would love the idea of living debt free and not worrying about income, but the truth is I am single with four kids who cost alot. I will not marry again or date again, so its just my income. I want to homestead as much as possible, yet I will need more income then most due to the kids, having transportation, etc. That being said, we don't have cable, buy very little new, nothing namebrand, we are fairly frugal,

I am hoping to buy a place with two dwellings or else to build a small cabin for my mother to help out and live with me, but she isn't well, so I don't know how much is going to be help. . . or ?

I guess I am trying to just get insight from others. The mortgage alone is going to be around 1400 a month. The car payment is 440, I could probably get something cheaper but I don't know the first thing about mechanics, and so I worry about the car breaking down.

Any thoughts? I know this isn't true "homesteading" but its the best I feel I can do right now, and I want to do this in the best and most efficient way that I can. any positive feedback is appreciated!

Thank you in advance,

Kat