Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

2 Pages 12>
What Breed of Geese Would You choose? Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Friday, February 03, 2006 7:28:36 AM

Is that Tula geese, or Toulouse? McMurray has the latter, and I believe African geese are supposed to be more aggressive... If you get a female with babies, ANY goose will be aggressive. And a hint: If a mama spreads her wings and hisses at you, DO NOT spread your jacket (to look like wings) and hiss back! I''m just glad there was a fence between us!
Dorene
#2 Posted : Friday, February 03, 2006 5:15:05 PM

Africans are beautiful geese, but they can be pretty sensitive. My uncle had a hen that went broody every year and never hatched anything. Then the gander was killed by one of their younger dogs which both my aunt and uncle were pretty sick about. They were stunning and they looked ferocious, but they weren''t when it got down to it. He wanted to get some Chinese because he had had them before and really liked them but he did end up replacing him with some more Africans when he had an opportunity, though. They had become pretty attached to those silly birds.
ajortolani
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2006 3:26:56 AM

Geese are nasty, don''t get any!! Alright, just kidding, kinda! But really, they bite & chase you down trying to bite you.......if you have kids, don''t get Geese or at least wait till they are big enough to beat the Goose that''s chasing them into hell.
Frosty
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 04, 2006 10:03:30 AM

I loved having geese, but they don''t really sell locally here, and my husband claimes to not like waterfowl (I never tried cooking it, maybe I should!). Ended up with too many and had to GIVE them away. Not planning to get anymore until I get licensed by the state to have wild types, and I want to get Canada geese, probably Cacklers. My geese never attacked anyone, but I taught the kids to stop and stare them down if they acted like they were thinking about coming after them.
mckenzy_girl
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 05, 2006 7:19:13 PM

We have Toulouse and African gray.
To tell you the truth, I love, Annabell, our African gray.
She is so friendly!
She ''s our "Pocket goose" she follows us around the property.
She nibbles on my husbands’ feet until he picks her up, and carries her around while he does his chores.
I would choose African, and handle them lots when they are goslings.
Good luck in whatever you decide![:)]
FreyaUlfr
#6 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2006 12:27:42 AM

How are the Africans at tolerating high humidity? Based on your esp are they able to defend themselves against hawks? We have a HUGE hawk population and afew eagles where we are and evn have hawk that nests very close to our property. We also have alotta skunks,possums,coons and sometimes foxes. No coyotes tho thank gods! Can African greys defend themselves against these predators?
mckenzy_girl
#7 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2006 5:30:20 AM

I''m not sure if you are asking me, FreyUlfr, but I''ll chime in anyway!
Ananbelle does just fine with high humidity.
We have a creek running through our property.
Annabelle and Mother , and the duck spend lots of time in the creek, feeding and staying cool.
They also are doing well in the winter months, granted we are having a mild winter this year.(love watching Annabell slip, sliding on the ice! Great laugh for the day!)
Anyway, We also have eagles, hawks, fox, coyotes wolves, & the neighbors dogs.
Annabelle and Mother hold their own very well.
When they were goslings we never left them outside, they were put in the barn at night.
Hope this helps![:)]
FreyaUlfr
#8 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2006 12:06:09 PM

Yes it does! I wanted roman geese but the info I have found on them says that they are very docile. considering their price I would rather not run the risk. also they are rather small, the females are only about 8 lbs live weight.
I am definately keeping the goslings indoors in a shelter and covered run until they are old enough to defend themselves!
It is a lil tough to find books on geese on Amazon. I only found 1. How do you care for your geese as far as feed? What about when you buy new stock?
Frosty
#9 Posted : Monday, February 06, 2006 9:45:31 PM

I will say that goslings and ducklings are very sloppy, so be prepared to keep cleaning their pen. They slop the water everywhere, and it mixes with everything else on the floor. That being said, I love my waterfowl. You can check hatcheries like McMurray, they have a ton of books. Some specifically on caring for waterfowl. The only problems I had with racoons around the geese was the fact that they kept eating the eggs when the geese would get ready to nest. Never lost a goose to a predator (had mom and babies behind a 3'' fence, no cover). I did lose ducks to owls and racoons, and had some racoons kill an adult broad breasted white turkey hen... Not sure what kind of geese they were, the guy I bought them from had white geese and gray geese all running together.
FreyaUlfr
#10 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2006 6:16:13 PM

My geese are going to free range w/out fences except for the fence around the 2 acre yard to keep them outta the driveway. I want them to poop in my garden and in the backyard. We have alotta wild geese where I am from. They are a very common site:}
I am giving my geese a shelter and letting them run wild for the most part. I am not esp concerned with the loss of a few eggs. I don''t want to be inundated with to alotta geese due to the fact that I don''t wanna be eating goose 3x a wek:} I want geese primarily for weeding the garden, bug control and dinner a few times a month:}
Frosty
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 08, 2006 8:00:01 AM

Everywhere I see that you can use geese to weed strawberries... My experience with that is they loved to bed down on the straw mulch and squished the plants. For corn... let it start growing before putting geese in, they do eat corn plants when they are small... A childs wading pool makes them happy to have somewhere to swim.
FreyaUlfr
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:03:30 PM

Frosty you are a lifesaver! Last night sweety started backing away from putting in a pond in the garden. grrrrr! I am not letting him out of getting me keep geese!! You''r lil tip just made it easier on me:} Thanx!
Frosty
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:52:34 AM

Ummm... don''t put a pond in the garden unless you have an easy way to empty it. For geese you will either need a LARGE pond with a good filtration system, or something small enough to be emptied fairly easily. Because you will need to change the water often. They can and do foul up the water, and it will stink. With a smaaler pool, you can scoop out a lot of the water, and or dump it. My advice is wait on the pond until you are a lot more familiar with geese. After having them for a while, you''ll get an idea of what size pool you would need if you still want to try that route. And by then, the other half will be used to the geese and possibly love them. Don''t think my husband is ready to admit that he likes my ducks, but he does spend time watching them if he thinks no one is looking ;-)
FreyaUlfr
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2006 4:06:11 PM

LOL! Well I talked to my fiancee last night and he said Ok to the geese if all I need is a little baby pool:} We have a large river (that is connected to the Chesapeake 2 mi away) in the back of the property and they are wild ducks GALORE all over the place:}
I just realised too that the spot we picked for the pond may not be big enough. We were thinking of putting it in the center of the garden. I was thinking of a more natural set up. A pond without a liner (use sand and gravel) filling it with plants and edible fish. the goose poo will fertilise the pond. I just realised though that this will need a much bigger area. Dang it! He''s right again! That will have to be a future project!
SVDtiger
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2006 10:15:45 PM

my alltime fav goose is brown chinese. but they are hard to find now it seems
mckenzy_girl
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:10:52 PM

Sorry I didn''t get back to this post sooner.
We feed our geese, cracked corn and duck finisher.
tomspiro008
#17 Posted : Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:31:34 AM

I like all the breed of geese.

annypeter
#18 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2009 12:27:01 PM

I like it but i am having problem of geese dropping which spoils my garden.So i used to keep it away.

annypeter
#19 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2009 9:28:27 AM

Geese control has become a major problem in US and other countries and I am also in search for effective solution to geese control. I know about some basic solutions like dog, music, etc.... but the basic solutions work for short time only and I don't think that everyday we have spend our precious time behind all this activities. So, I am looking for permanent solution.

Your valuable suggestions on how to keep geese away from home and our working place are always welcome. I don't want to kill them I just want them away from our home and working place.

annypeter
#20 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2009 8:54:47 AM

Is there any one here, who knows about the use of green laser pointers to keep geeses away from home and working place?  If any one of you knows about it then I am requesting them to please give more information on it. Believe me I never know about this before.

Thanks,