Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Homemade yogurt without yogurt machine Options
Evelyn
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:35:30 PM

I make my own yogurt all the time, and I think it should have worked in your dehydrator just fine.  I don't know why it didn't, but I would suggest giving it another try.  My dehydrator maintains a nice warm temperature (not hot), which is what is required for making yogurt.  The only thing I can think of why your yogurt didn't turn out properly is because perhaps the milk was too hot to start with, although I gather that your instructions say 115 degrees.  I usually allow my milk to get closer to room temperature, and have actually made yogurt lots of times with previously scalded room temperature milk.

Another thought - perhaps the temperature of the dehydrator is little too high, also.  You can make yogurt at room temperature, although the colder the room, the longer it takes to make yogurt and the tangy-er the yogurt will be.  Sometimes, I think that the warmer the temperature, the more the yogurt at the bottom of the yogurt cups (glasses, whatever) gets kind of clumpy.  It seems to me that if the temperatures to make the yogurt are a little cooler, it makes a creamier yogurt.  So, I usually crack the lid of the yogurt maker a bit so it doesn't get too warm.

I use a yogurt maker, but since you've posted this about using a dehydrator, I might try that tonight - I need more yogurt.

Also, besides the taste of the yogurt being much better than those in the plastic cups, it certainly is much cheaper than store-bought yogurt - about 1/8 to 1/4 of the price - and you know what's in it, which to me is just about as important as taste and cost.

boltguy
#2 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 8:49:17 AM

Is making yoghurt yourself really worthwhile? I am curious! I've heard of it before, but I can just not imagine that self made yoghurt tastes so much better that the one you can buy in every supermarket.

cwatson
#3 Posted : Monday, March 30, 2009 8:49:17 AM

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've had time to post.  I will start with the background information on my question.  I recieved a nifty Excalibur dehydrator for Christmas and have been using it to dry all kinds of stuff.  Then I saw that you can use it to help make yogurt.  I followed the directions in their little book and ended up with 4 pints of "tart" milk.  It didn't thicken.  This recipe called for 1/2 gallon milk, 1 cup powdered milk mixed and heated to scalding.  Cool to 115 degrees then add 2 Tbsp plain yogurt.  Pour into sanitized jars, cover and place in dehydrator set at 115 degrees for 5 hours without opening or moving.  I followed these directions but did not get yogurt.  I may have perhaps messed up the recipe by not having the jars hot.  It didn't say to have them hot but afterwards I thought it would have made sense.

Does anyone have any other recipes for homemade yogurt that I can try or does anyone know if from what I have said if I did something wrong on the first batch. 

I love yogurt and hate plastic so I thought I would just make my own instead of always buying yogurt in plastic tubs.

Any help is much appreciated

Christine