Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Subfloor Insulation Options
Pat Miketinac
#1 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 2:48:32 AM

Manufactured homes come with fiberglass batt under the floor, so I think hubby is wrong. What about your attic? That's where most heat loss occurs.

maxgyver
#2 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2009 5:25:50 PM

Insulating the subfloor will help. The main thing is to get the rest of the "heated envelope" tight.  Attic, Walls ,Windows doors etc. The tighter you can make these the bettor off you will be.  A typical home hase leaks that equate to a hole about 2 feet square...Basically leaving a window wide open all year.  Sealing all the little gaps through out can do wonders.  Door Blower tests are the ultimate tool to measure the success of this "sealing". 

Pat is right on with the Attic as the first place to start.  Start up high and work you way down. The crawl space will be the final part to correct.  Having the plastic vapor barrier will reduce the moisture load in the the space, ensure that you have it properly overlaped and extening to the corners and walls, the crawl space should also be vented, for proper air flow, make sure the vents, are properly screened to keep mr. squirel and his freinds hanging out there too.

John Edward Mercier
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:20:55 PM

Not sure what you have for skirting... but basically you could insulate behind the skirting. Solid insulation and expanding foam will work best... and don't absorb moisture.

The crawlspace should have vents that can be uncovered during the summer months, and then covered over for the winter... this will allow the space underneath to dry out from any ground-based moisture.

And you should direct the run-off from the roof in a manner that does not add moisture to the soil surrounding the structure.

MC
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:20:55 PM

My Big Summer Project is putting some insulation in this friggin' upholstered storage shed.  I'm going with formaldehyde-free fiberglass batt-- not the greenest choice, I know, but the only one that's within my budget and within reach of my comfort zone.  Starting with the walls, being relatively confident that I know what I'm doing. 

We have single-ply flooring-- indoor/outdoor carpet glued directly to particle board flooring nailed directly to the joists.  Shallow (anywhere from 36 to 18 inches) plastic-covered dirt-floored crawl space.  Part block, part post-and-beam foundation. 

I'm sick of paying the light bill (not to mention the carbon footprint) for what amounts to radiant crawlspace heating (lol) while shivering all winter from leaching chill.  I'm going to do something about it. 

My husband says I cannot insulate the flooring in any way because the insulation will wick moisture and cause the flooring to rot.  I don't have the expertise to know if he's A) right, B) being a pessimist, or C) not wanting to babysit the kids and keep up with the housework while I dedicate several weekends to insulating the floor.

What's up??  If he's right, what can I do to remediate the problem??  I guess either tear out the old flooring and lay a moisture barrier before I lay the new stuff-- I can lay flooring, but that's enough work for one woman that we'll probably be another year with uninsulated floors or insulate the crawl space and accept the floors (probably more viable, since I'm having a harder and harder time believing that this house is worth rebuilding). 

Advice and suggestions being solicited.