Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

bread recipe in MEN magazine Options
The Big Lebowski
#1 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2008 2:08:44 AM

I haven't got the current issue yet I was waiting till Saturday to pick it up so I will be sure to check it out.

I came across a real simple and tasty recipe the other day and have made it three times already this week. I'll send you the recipe in the morning. the whole thing only takes me an hour and half !! and it turns out nice.

grandmadiane
#2 Posted : Monday, December 08, 2008 10:06:17 PM

Hey Big L! Tried the bread recipe yet? Has anyone tried it? I'm going to Texas this Friday to spend an early Christmas with my son and wife and 2 granddaughters, so I don't want to leave the dough in the fridge when I'm gone. Guess it will have to get done when I'm back, which will be next Friday, the 19th I think.
Skruzich likes homemade bread too. Have you tried it yet, ornery??
Diane
CountryKitty
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:54:29 AM

I tried it, but I'm thinking there may be a typo in there somewhere. It's mentioned a couple of times in the article that the dough will be a very 'wet' dough that conforms to the container, yet as I was stirring the ingredients together the dough formed a mass that clung to the spoon and rolled around in the bowl, if you know what I mean.

Didn't rise too well for me, but that may have been from using old yeast.

The bread itself wasn't bad, and smelled awfully good while baking! I'll be retrying this weekend after getting fresh yeast and more flower. If it still doesn't work out, I may email the eds to ask "whazzup?"

CountryKitty
#4 Posted : Friday, December 19, 2008 1:37:12 PM

It WORKED!

I retried the recipe and it worked like a charm. I changed 2 things this time around: I bought fresh yeast...and this time, instead of scooping the flour out of the bag with the measuring cup (which apparently packed in too much flour the first time around) I spooned it from bag to cup, leaving it much more loose (don't own a sifter at this time).

The dough was much more moist and did conform to the container, rose quite a bit  in front of a sunny window, and baked up with the most crisp crunchy crust! I ate half of the fist 9" long loaf I made; the leftover portion went into the fridge in a ziploc. After a bit I got it out and nibbled some more--the crust had become softer and the texture of the loaf was chewier. Not a bad thing by any means, just noting what it did for me.

I used the refridgerated dough to make rolls with dinner last night--buttered one and offered hubby a bite so he could see if he liked it. He took the whole roll from my hand, took a bite, and then looked up and asked "You didn't plan on eating the rest of this one did you. 'Cause you're not getting it back!"

grandmadiane
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 1:58:50 AM

Thanks CountryKitty!  Now that I'm back from Texas I'll have to give it a try. I appreciate your comments. It will help me when I make it for the first time. I like the fact that it doesn't take all day to raise, punch down, raise again and then bake. It saves so much time. And now that I'm working, time is something I don't have a whole lot of any more.
Diane
CountryKitty
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 20, 2008 2:36:31 PM

You're welcome---and I know what you mean about time. I'm working nights, 12 hour shifts, and never seem to have enough time. I would have been willing to accept a mediocre loaf in exchange for the time savings; as it stands I'm really happy with how it turned out.

martingr
#7 Posted : Friday, January 02, 2009 1:48:21 PM

We have tried the bread recipe also, really like it and have shared this recipe with a few friends, they also like it, we did find that it was to salty for our taste so cut that back in recipe. If they sell where you live try frozen pizza dough, very cheap to buy, thaw and just make a long loaf let it rise and put on french bread pan, we make this all the time, is quick and tasty.

Gary

isun
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:28:32 PM

I liked it so much I bought the book, it is worth the money.  Try the European Peasant Bread, it is what you think of when you think of good bread!
Sunnygirl
#9 Posted : Monday, March 02, 2009 11:33:34 PM

I tried it and it's good.  My dad liked it really well too.  I froze 3 loaves of dough and I'm thawing out one today in

the frig. and will let it rise and make more in a day or so.  I want to try it as pizza dough.  I have a pizza stone and it

made a nice round loaf of bread on it.  Great recipe!

grandmadiane
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 04, 2009 4:17:49 AM

Hey isun! Got a recipe for that European bread? Sounds good to me. Was it in MEN magazine or the book?

Diane

isun
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:25:11 AM

My version:

5 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup rye flour

1 1/2 Tbsp Salt

1 1/2 Tbsp yeast

3 cups warm water

Mix flours and salt.  dissolve yeast in water slop it all together and let rise, covered 2 hours. Chill or bake in 400 degree oven 35 minutes.  Make two nice size boules or it's even good as rolls.

grandmadiane
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:25:11 AM

Hi! Has anyone tried the bread recipe that's in the new MEN magazine? I've got a rotten cold , so don't feel like doing it right now, but I plan on trying it. It looks simple enough. I don't have a baking stone or a pizza peel, but surely it can be done without that. Let me know if you've tried it and what you think about it.
Diane

P.S. This should be right up your alley, Big L.