Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

The Smartest Way to Clean Soiled Eggs? Options
Tish
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 13, 2009 7:30:02 PM

There is a great book to have on hand about chickens, 'Keep Chickens,' by Barbara Kilarski. In it, she recommends cleaning off with a paper towel to remove debris. She adds, egg shells have a natural coating that keeps bacteria out, so washing the egg as a last resort. Myself, if the shell is so soiled, I give it a quick rinse and dry it, and use them first. Another book I would recommend: Living with Chickens by Jay Rossier he too, suggests brushing the debris off the egg.
Heidi
#2 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 4:13:11 PM

Thank yoiu for your great suggestions! Heidi
Heidi
#3 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 4:18:44 PM

By the way, pardon the typo, I meant to say "pack them up, poop and all, and put them away in the fridge. I have just  been wiping them with a wet paper towel but I heard somewhere that when you wash the eggs, the chances are greater for them to get bacteria inside. I have found on different chicken websites that there is an egg wash, I just don't know what is the best. I will reply if I find one I like. Heidi

Frosty
#4 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2009 11:03:09 PM

I wash them in the sink and use an abrasive scrubby on stubborn spots.  I wouldn't soak them for long, eggs are porous and that would just be inviting the bacteria in.  For what it's worth, eggs sitting at room temp for over a week will still hatch.  Places like Mexico, eggs in the store aren't refrigerated.  When I was growing up, a neighbor would put cartons of eggs on a table in an enclosed porch.  Any of us wanting eggs would go down, pick up a carton, and leave money on the table.  To this day, I will have eggs sitting on a table for a week or so and wash them right before I use them.  I just make sure that they are used or refrigerated after washing.  I do have an egg washer and the detergent to use with it, unless you are washing a lot of eggs at once the washer isn't worth the trouble of setting it up.  I suspect that the detergent is dishwashing detergent, it looks and smells the same.  Just my opinion...

Shirley in ND

Heidi
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:55:36 PM

Thank you for your input. I have been reading alot about storing eggs at room temp. Apparently, alot of folks do it without the eggs going bad. I pass eggs out to my neighbors and I just don't want anyone to get sick. I rinse them with plain water now and dry them off and then put in the fridge until someone needs them. The eggs are usually handed out within a week of being  "ejected". I did have a heck of a time peeling some of these fresh eggs that I had hard boiled. Just can't get the shells off! I have two dozen hidden back so that when they are about 6 weeks old I'll cook them up and see if they peel better after they "age" a bit!
Here by the Owl
#6 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 4:49:10 AM

Try sandpaper! Yes, I said sandpaper... Many poultry supply houses call it an "egg brush" but in reality it is just sandpaper on a block. I would reccomend 100 grit as it isn't too abrasive. The majority of fecal matter that we find on eggs is dry and the sandpaper works well at getting it off. Just don't get too gung-ho and wear a hole in your egg! Don't worry that it will mess with your eggs storage ability, if you aren't too crazy with it you will not remove the thin waxy coating which helps preserve the egg.
Heidi
#7 Posted : Monday, February 16, 2009 4:49:10 AM

Occasionally I cannot get to the eggs before they get soiled with droppings. I need to know the best way to prevent bacteria from getting into the shell. I don't want my family to get sick and I have heard so many different things, from soaking the eggs in a bowl of water to just packing them up, poop and then washing right before use. Help!