Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Strange Cat? Options
Frosty
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 26, 2008 8:52:46 AM

Since milk can give a cat diarrhea, and too much fish isn't good for them either, I wouldn't worry about it.  Just make sure that you don't give him onions, and garlic should probably be avoided, too.  Sharing your food is ok, as long as the main part of the diet is cat food so he gets the supplements that he needs.  Canned food is better than dry, dry food is loaded with corn (which cats can't process) and carbs which can lead to diabetes.   
Wrennie
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 02, 2008 6:00:18 PM

My friends 2 cats wont touch fish either. Cats are carnivores and (should) like all sorts of meat.Milk as a general rule is not good for cats. My 4 are never given milk. The 3 youngest if they see it in my cup  (yes they look to see what I'm having) are completely disinterested in it. Cats also like greens, usually grass. Something about the chlorophyll they like. Thats why so many houseplants are a danger to them.
Tish
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:36:04 AM

I know it's late in responding, but it's a fallacy that cats are interested in a fish palate. Some like it, others not. Cats in the wild are carnivores, eating mostly birds, mice, and such, so mimicking their diet is a good thing. Also, when a cat ingests a bird or mice, etc. they are also getting the nutrients of that said animal: grain, grass, seeds, etc. all good for kitty. I too, have been advised by my holistic vet to feed strictly a premium wet food, rather than dry kibble, as the kibble generally has quite a bit of filler, as mentioned--corn, which does lead to health issues. Though, I know lots of folks that feed their kitties a dry kibble food, just be sure to read the ingredients. The purer and unadulterated the better. So, by-products are lousy.
MC
#4 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2009 2:28:51 AM

Funny; I'd always heard that dry kibble was better than wet food on account of wet food being more likely to cause dental issues.  Hmmm... maybe that explains why I have such a job to fight obesity in my kitties... though  I can't go totally off kibble anyways as I've got a 10-year-old female who has never been in the least willing to eat anything else with the sole exception of tuna juice (not the meat, just the water from the can). 

I'd like to learn more about the prey diet.  I think 7 or 8 of the 10 living in my house would do well on it.  Can anyone give me opinions/information???

And speaking of the 10 cats living in my house...

...WOULD ANYONE WITHIN  ABOUT 200 MILES OF ROGERS, AR LIKE A CAT????  I have an 18-mos. spayed female and four 8-mos. kittens going free.  The female of the litter is also already spayed and has her shots.  I will be happy to have the males neutered and vaccinated beforehand-- I'm going to do it anyway as the money presents itself-- or to prepay your vet for doing it or reimburse your cost on presentation of receipt.  I'll  also happily deliver.  They are all quite tame, healthy, very friendly, litter-trained and proven avid mousers.  Mama was an outdoor cat before she came to me; the kittens were born in my attic and have been raised inside but show a very strong interest in the outdoors and I am sure they would adapt well to life as farm or barn cats.  I would just turn them out here,  'cause I could really use mousers outside, but I've got a husband who would get very upset at finding feline body parts and a lot of coyotes on a fairly narrow strip of land (ie they would have about zero life expectancy).   

Frosty
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:20:55 AM

Kinda funny... there are all sorts of claims agout dry food helping with keeping the teeth clean.  Have you ever looked at a cats teeth after it eats?  I have seen pieces of dry food stuck to the teeth up by the gums.  The claims have never been proved.  Check out catinfo.org, it is a site written by Dr Lisa Pierson, DVM.  She has a lot of great information about feline diets.  She is very vocal about the importance of diet for felines, and refers to it as 'pay me now, pay me later'.  By this she means that you can feed cheap, innapropriate food to your cat, but could pay for it later in vet bills.  I can say for a fact that I have one cat who has had a predominately canned food diet since she was 1 year old.  She is now almost 8 years old, and has very little tartar on her teeth.  
Talos321
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2009 7:20:55 AM

Last year we found a feral cat on our property with you guessed it kittens. We kept one that appeared to be partial Siamese. The others we found good homes for. The mother we tried to capture to have fixed but she vanished.

The kitten we adopted has grown into a chubby fixed large male cat and we find it odd that he doesn't like fish or fish flavored cat food. He also will not drink any kind of milk. We learned this after several times of buying  to check all cat food we buy contains no fish or milk products as he will taste it shake his head and it'll lay there for days untouched.  He does enjoy chicken and surprisingly beans, cabbage, greens or any cooked vegetable. Are these things good for him. I had assumed that cats love fish as most cat food contain fish. He also sits in an empty chair next to someone at the table and punches them for a bite of something he likes. When he walks on the leash he also eats weeds and bugs (yuck lol)