Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Worthington, Ohio- Urban Chicken Movement Options
Inquizzzitive
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:45:14 AM

I'm a chicken hobbyist myself.  I started out with incubating and hatching eggs.  The only breed that I own are the Silkie Bantam.  I too live in a village/town that has ordinances regarding horses/livestock.  So far as I know there isn't one pertaining to Chickens/Poultry.  If there is, so far I've flown under the radar. 

My neighbors are very close on all sides with the exception of the front yard.  We live on a busy main road.  But my neighbors house on one side is within 20 yards of my Chicken's Coop.  The house on the other side is very close and separated from my yard by just the driveway.  There is also a new subdivision that has been built within the past 5 years directly behind my yard. 

My neighbors, so far, have had absolutely no complaints!  As a matter of fact, if there are children visiting at their homes, they often ask if the children can visit the chickens!  I always welcome the opportunity to educate youngsters on the benefits of raising chickens and explain what miraculous little creatures that they are! 

Perhaps you could try passing along a petition throughout the neighborhood to ask for an exception to the ordinance or even to have it abolished.  I know that if and when the time should come that I should experience a problem such as this, I wouldn't hesitate to take any and all actions that I could to do so!  I enjoy my little Bantams and they are the perfect little pet for small spaces!

Raymond James
#2 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 3:50:09 AM

I take it that there has been lots of discussion about livestock in the town.  I would start visiting neighbors and explain that you will not be keeping any male birds that crow, how many birds (less than 6), inside or outside in a  pen behind a privacy fence, what you will do with the litter, how you will share some of the eggs.  If you can convince all of  them then I would go ahead and get the birds. Thats right regardless of the law get the birds.

I live near a small city that has rules and several small flocks.  No crowing, no birds running around the neighborhood = no complaints. No complaints means that the city employees do not issue any citations.

Another small town town recently changed its rules to allow home flocks.  Less than 100 birds, no males, fenced lots to keep dogs out and chickens in, a plan for the litter.  It seems to be working well allowing some people to raise and  sell eggs to help make a living without creating a health hazard or a noise problem.

The town I grew up in, Trotwood Ohio, had a 400+ pound hog kept as a pet. The first time I saw him I went to get some help rounding him up figuring he had wondered in from the country.  The neighbors told me taht he was in fact a pet and was allowed to wonder around the neighborhood.  Why he never wondered to far away I do not know.  He had a hog ring to try and keep him from tearing up the flower beds but eventually he was only allowed out of his yard when being taken for a walk.             

Ebert
#3 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 7:06:39 PM

I can understand not wanting to have roosters making a racket every morning, but there's no reason we shouldn't be able to have a few laying hens!
Ebert
#4 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 7:12:28 PM

Urban chickens are becoming more and more popular every day, especially in this economy. Even the suburban yuppie crowd are getting into it - hence the introduction of ready-made expensive urban chicken coops.Books like The Omnivore's Delima, Made from Scratch and Animal Vegetable Miracle are also selling like hotcakes, and apparently canning is making a comeback.

I'm happy to see this renewed interest in the types of skills that we've lost so quickly over the course of two generations.
Jessie Fetterling
#5 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2009 7:12:28 PM

An article was published earlier this week in The Columbus Dispatch that discussed unfair chicken ordinances in Worthington, Ohio. Not only do they not allow chickens within 150 feet of any residence (besides that of the chickens' owner), but they also have a broad animal ordinance that bans animals that "create offensive odors, excessive noise or unsanitary conditions which are a menace to the health, comfort or safety of the public." Read more about it here.

I'm very interested in hearing about other people's experiences with broad animal ordinances like this one, and how it works or does not work in your community.