Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

eat your dead? Options
Silent
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2005 11:27:50 PM

No I haven''t talmudic farmer, but some things to consider:

You would have to bury her rather deeply in order to keep from exposing your family to some of the nasty organisms which the human body tends to harbor. Not casting aspersions on your mother, it''s simply a fact of life. There would also be an unfortunate assault on your sense of smell as well, unless she is buried very deeply....too deeply for her gift to be of much use to your garden. It might make more sense to bury her beneath a newly planted fruit or nut tree; as it grows it''s roots may extend down far enough for there to be some benefit. Do you have an orchard, or a place to plant a tree far enough from your living space so that odor isn''t a problem? Have you researched the laws so that you know you will not be forfeiting kosher status by honoring her wishes? I rather doubt that she would want you to have to do so. You might also wish to research local ordinances, many of which frown upon burial upon private land these days.

Some other things to consider, and please forgive me if I do not know all aspects of the law or touch upon subjects which are painful to contemplate, but you need to keep in mind that she should not be embalmed in the eventuality that ordinances allow for this and you have a suitable location. Embalming fluids would certainly not be organic. If you use a coffin then it should be of plain, unvarnished, wood since most paints, varnishes, lacquer, etc.... would also not fit with organic growing practices. You would most likely have to dig her final resting place by hand so you need to prepare for the eventuality that she might pass away during the winter.... Getting this information in hand, and planning ahead, would be the key if you decide to go ahead.

All the best, and may it be a long time before you need to deal with this.
skruzich
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 12:07:55 AM

You also need to check, because its against the law in many places to do this. I know in the state of georgia, your not allowed to do this as well as you must bury in a approved and licensed cemetary. No more burying on your own property. I am wondering when they will start requiring cremation.
Fleatard
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 16, 2005 4:07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by talmudic_farmer

My mother asked us to bury her beneath our kosher organic garden so that she could continue to be "a part of our lives" as, from season to season, her body decomposes and supplies nutrients to our food. Some in my family are not comfortable with this idea.

Has anyone else dealt with a relative who wished to be "recycled"?

Are you mental??
ReddKatt
#4 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2005 6:02:29 AM

Oy.*shudder* I would never be able to look at carrots and potatoes the same way!

I can''t but think this would be rather more than a bit unhealthy and unsafe. Human remains don''t decompose as nicely as those things we add to the compost pile. I think I would bury mama underneath the willow on the hill with some lovely wild roses about her stone.
Leave the composting to the kitchen and garden scraps.

Katt
uwharrie
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:06:05 PM

No No No
skruzich
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:21:48 PM

hehe, would make for a good movie, Dawn of the Garden Dead! Your mamma rises up from the mater patch to come suck your brain out!
izzy
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 20, 2005 8:03:29 PM

Hey man. Tell me your joking. Please.

]Originally posted by talmudic_farmer[/i]

[/quote]
Hurt_the_Dirt
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 23, 2005 1:54:28 AM

Ewwww! Eating your mother, living or dead, is just nasty.
ajortolani
#9 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2005 1:05:27 AM

You could promise Mommie Dearest that you''ll cremate her & you''ll spread the ashes over the garden! That way you won''t have to visit all these ''ugly'' scenario''s/nightmares!!
Or you could just tell her:
"NO Mom, we''re not doing that so think of something else!!"

Good grief!!
fairmaiden
#10 Posted : Monday, March 20, 2006 8:59:28 PM

[xx(] I am sorry but this is just sick and wrong on soooooo many levels... Gives me the creeps just thinking about it. ugh!!
Jay Jay
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 26, 2006 4:53:35 AM

Hello:I would not suggest this. Too many organisms that could come up into the growing food with mother being under the garden. Some states require burial grounds be registered. Also, your would need to bury deep. Some states require 18 inches, some more, and some less, over the corpse that is buried. Why not cremate mother in the first place and scatter her ashes, cooked to over 1600 degrees, and all bacterial killed, into the garden. Clean sanatary and no smells, and usually
legal and often cheaper in most cases.
jj
lewis56us
#12 Posted : Saturday, July 15, 2006 2:19:18 AM

There was a ''Ripley''s Believe it or Not'' story about a man who was buried with a peach in his hands. The tree sprouted and grew.
dancingcreek
#13 Posted : Friday, September 22, 2006 12:48:25 AM

I''d love to be buried on my land but under a bed of flowers.
shayneyasinski
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2007 7:42:02 AM

both my parents were cremated and there ashes spread around our yard and other places they wanted .
but this is sounding like a person being a bit silly.
I think the idea may be intended that a good crop was cause of said person but not exactly from the remains of them.
this should be carried out in thought but not actually done.
getting past laws and such is one thing but eating food grown from the remains of a loved one is up there with starting a family with your sister and living in some movie.
chrisetlo
#15 Posted : Monday, February 05, 2007 3:11:04 PM

Dear Talmudic Farmer,

I think your mother has a beautiful idea. Do some research, and I''m sure you can find a compromise between the idea, and reasonable healthy practice. Please ignore the small minds with the "eeew yuck" posts.

Living and eating, dying and being eaten. That is the way of the world. Our modern, western burial practices work so hard to divorce us from this truth. Why? My body does not belong to me. When I am done living in it, I wish to return it.

mother-love-bear
#16 Posted : Monday, July 09, 2007 11:51:51 PM

didnt i watch a movie on this?? "Secret window" with Jhonny Depp. pretty graphic. i would like to be buried on my property somewhere but softening the blow to the kids that the carrots are where granny's buried is too morbid.
FatherSea
#17 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:00:51 AM

I don't think this is correct, surely!
talmudic_farmer
#18 Posted : Thursday, December 11, 2008 11:00:51 AM

My mother asked us to bury her beneath our kosher organic garden so that she could continue to be "a part of our lives" as, from season to season, her body decomposes and supplies nutrients to our food. Some in my family are not comfortable with this idea.

gailany222
#19 Posted : Monday, November 10, 2014 6:49:58 AM

I also agree with Skruzich about that...you have to check it
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.