Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

What's everyone do with the leftovers? Options
grandmadiane
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2008 5:21:15 AM

Well, I didn't have Thanksgiving at my house this year so I don't have any leftovers. But noodle soup was always a favorite. Sometimes, if I had dressing and gravy leftover, then I would make a casserole of layered turkey, dressing and gravy. And if I had a LOT of turkey leftover, then I would make chicken casseroles but use turkey instead. I made salads to take along this year, so I have leftover salads.
 Did you have a big group to feed this year, Spark? My Mom had 14 or 15. Not too bad , could have been more.
 It's nice to have fresh turkey. I raised some one year, but that was quite a while ago. I'm looking for some chickens to put in my freezer now. I think I have some located.
Take care!
Diane
Frosty
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 30, 2008 9:11:13 AM

I raise about 15 turkeys every year (haven't bought one in at least 10 years).  I freeze some of the leftovers and use them for sandwiches, turkey pot pie, mix them with potatoes and carrots in broth and add dumplings, batter fry chunks (like chicken tenders), use some in stirfries... 

For the chicken, broilers are supposed to be butchered at 8 to 12 weeks old.  If they get older, they will be tough.  Just make sure that you age them in the refrigerator for a few days, and if they are older just cook them slower.  Brining may help, too.  With any poultry (and probably applies to beef, pork, etc...) you need to keep them as calm as possible before you do the deed.  If they get excited or scared, the adrenalin goes up and that also makes meat tougher.  You said it tastes rubbery?  Did you mean taste or texture?       

Spark123y
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 06, 2008 2:08:31 AM

Dianne, We had 9 for dinner. And thanks for the great recipe /dinner ideas.

Frosty, I was talking texture. And from what you said we waited to long to buthcher them. We are using them in chicken and buscut etc. and they are all rite for that.

My nephews first attempt at growing turkeys was a great suscces and they were delicous. I noticed that even though the turkeys were in the 20 -25 pound range there was very little fat to skim off the broth. Is this true of all "fresh" turkey?

OH yeah, last week they also got a visit from several ECO's who seemed to think that Mathieu's turkeys were Eastern Wild Turkeys raised illeglly. When told they were purchased as chicks from a farm store they still insisted they were wild birds?????  Idiots.

brian s

Frosty
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 06, 2008 9:26:28 AM

I had some left over pork roast, combined it with left over turkey, ran it through the grinder and made turkey and pork canneloni.  The family actually loved it!

My turkeys had a bit of fat, but I had been adding corn since the weather has been cold (down to zero).  Home grown turkeys taste better partly because the are older than commercial turkeys.  I think it's like comparing veal to beef... the older they get, the more flavor they have.

As far as Eastern Wild turkeys go, many states require you to have a permit to have them regardless of where you got them.  If that is the case in your state, the feed store probably shouldn't sell them, or should make sure that buyers know the regulations.  Here in North Dakota, I would need a permit to have any birds that are found wild locally such as mallards, wild turkeys, etc...  And they say that it's the buyers responsibility to know the laws.  Interesting note, if you cross some varieties of heritage turkeys, such as Bourbon Reds crossed with Narrigansetts, you get offspring that look just like wild turkeys (which are the ancestors of most of the heritage varieties).  So maybe those aren't wild turkeys, maybe they are crosses

Look online, you might be able to find a good brine recipe to try with the chickens.  It really does make meat more tender, and you can really play with the flavor.  I did a pork roast a few days ago, and followed the brine with a honey/ginger marinade.  It was really tender and had a really good flavor.  I believe the brine that I used was water, soy sauce, and salt.          

Spark123y
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 06, 2008 9:26:28 AM

My nephew raised the turkeys this year. Delicious. Now I'm boiling down the skin and bones and drippings to make soup stock.

Speaking of soup stock, he also raised and buthchered a bunch of meat chickens. Not pleased, the meat tastes "rubbery". does this mean he raised them too long?

It'd be great to hear what you all do with the leftovers.

Brian S