Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Help with Solar Collector system! Options
StreetLegal
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:36:51 PM

You may (probably) have air in the glycol line.  If the air is getting to the pump, it will make noise, as well as cause premature pump wear.

Also make sure your lines are large enough in diameter.  You might also call the manufacturer.  Last thing I can think of (and it's always a good thing to do so) would be to isolate the pump and piping from the structure.

Under the best of conditions, all pumps make some noise.

StreetLegal is new and improved, now with 18% more sarcasm!

StreetLegal
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:37:51 PM

BTW, where in NM are you located?  I'm near Roswell.

StreetLegal is new and improved, now with 18% more sarcasm!

davisonh
#3 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 2:48:21 AM

Streets' right,I think you do have air in your glycol also.There should be a sightglass air release or an auto air vent in the system somewhere,either soldered into an elbow or on the pump itself.You could also be cavitating the pump too,for that try quickly closing and opening the return and supply valves to the pump while the air release is open.It should start spitting out a constant flow of glycol,oh save that glycol,its expensive.Try seeing also if the coupler joining the pump and the electric motor is slipping,that is if there is one.That'll make a lot of noise.Could be brush or motor bearing wear too..
Gallon
#4 Posted : Friday, November 28, 2008 2:48:21 AM

Hi
My wife and I have a noisy pump on our new solar collector.
We have just had a new active solar collector system installed on our roof in new mexico.  It is a glycol based system using a photovoltaic panel to run a small 12volt water pump to circulate the glycol.  This small pump makes quite a bit of noise and we can't find a solution to quiet it.  The pump only runs during daylight since it runs on the pv panel and it goes on and off every five seconds and is heard throughout our house  I sounds like wind blowing through the fireplace or under a cracked window.  It's driving us nuts.   The contractor who installed it says there is nothing we can do, because these systems use pumps that make a bit of noise.  They say we can't turn it off either, which I thought could work if we put the pump on a timer to turn on from let's say 8am to 8pm and shut off at night until we wake up.  We wrapped insulation around the pump but we can still hear it.  Any ideas how to quiet it?
Michael