Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

My first made from scratch Bread! Options
davisonh
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2008 2:36:53 AM

Funny you mention that Jayme,my wife just learned how to make a real apple pie from scratch this weekend ,crust and all and from fresh hand picked Macs from down the road.There is no other taste than a mildly tart real apple pie and no,you never forget what one tastes like either;my mother rest her soul used to make them  the same way my wife did this weekend.Brought back some good memories

Frosty
#2 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2008 9:56:01 AM

Way to go, JaymeAlaska!  And maybe soon you might want to experiment with sourdough!  You are right, nothing compares to fresh bread warm from the oven... now I have the urge to make some but it's almost 4 AM!  Did you do it all by hand or use a machine?  And I am curious, what brand of yeast did you use?  I am only asking because I have heard of quite a few folks having problems with the major brands (Red Star, Fleishmann's...) 
JaymeAlaska
#3 Posted : Monday, November 03, 2008 9:56:01 AM

It was wonderful I tell you! My husband and I decided that we won't be purchasing bread at the store anymore.. It's cheaper and more tastey to just make it at home. I've been working on making more things from scratch lately, to prepare for my little farm we've got planned to build in the spring. So far I have made home squeezed lemonade, baked raviolli, my own air fresheners, and my freshly baked bread within the last couple weeks. I'm getting the hang of it! It's a wonderful feeling knowing you've made everything yourself..