Logged in as: Anonymous Search | Active Topics |

Geothermal Electrical Power Generation Options
John Edward Mercier
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2008 2:42:42 PM

Embedded capital and limits on power transmission.
davisonh
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 2:49:51 AM

No,IMO I think it has more to do with keeping old industries like coal,nuclear and oil in business.It costs as much if not more to  build a modern nuclear power plant these days as it would to drill a 1 foot wide x 10,000-20,000 foot deep well or two anywhere in the US.Oil,when drilled at those depths comes out of the ground extremely hot,as much as 400 or 500 degrees. At a depth of 500 feet the temperature of the earth starts to rise and rise by an even amount and by a lot.Some coal/copper and other underground mines must be air conditioned all year round in order to keep the working temperature around 80 degrees or so.This is the earths' internal heat from it's own density and radioactivity.Its a permanent heat that will always be there because of the interaction of the earths mass between the earth and the sun as it revolves around the sun.Pump water down into the hole,let the steam get up to the 1,000 psi @ 700 degree F working turbine pressure and temperature,sell the condensate steam as central heating to nearby buildings instead of/or with cooling towers.As far as power transmissions' concerned our grid system in this country is old,overutilized and basically needs to be rebuilt.Large amounts of electrical power are usually distributed pretty cheaply in Europe at ranges of 1,000,000 volts direct current or more.DC is used to negate any electromagnetic field effects below or beside them,direct current does not produce a circular EMF around a conductor as alternating current does(i.e Faradays' law)which causes problems for people living under them.As far as embedded capital,these days one can say..what capital?

John Edward Mercier
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:37:16 PM

Read your first line...

That is embedded capital.

davisonh
#4 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 3:06:53 AM

Exactly my point JEM.many don't know what embedded capital is,so for those out there that are facing a coal/oil power plant to be built ask at a public meeting as to why your municipal power supplier wont invest in a geothermal plant instead..You'll get  a lot of sideswipe answers  I'll guarantee...This is my point,it's time to move on with our technology,there are better ways to do the things we need to do,and it looks like things are changing.JEM have you seen the new wind farm in Lempster?
John Edward Mercier
#5 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2008 2:59:18 PM

The first wind farm was in Berlin.

The guy lines were cut, and the towers destroyed. The people there are complaining that due to the limit of power transmission that power generation should be limited to biomass (wood).

Private capitalism requires that those taking the risk must make the decision as to what to provide... then we as consumers must determine whether we value the product or not... and at what price.

LaserBillA
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2008 9:51:35 PM

1. DC transmission line technology allows us to transport the energy anywhere we need, but it's really hard to build transmission lines without the government helping with the easements.

There are several wind farm and other projects that are being held up because of easements and permits for the transmission lines.

2. We could get all our power from Yellowstone park

3. You can't just drill anywhere. For example: Here in MN I would have to drill miles before the temperature would rise high enough for high temp geothermal.

4. There is the option for low temp "ground source" power.
 A "ground source" power system uses the temperature difference between the outside air and the ground temperature.
 The yield is low, but could be cost effective if combined with a heat pump system.

davisonh
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 1:19:19 AM

Even with those issues Bill it would still seem to me to be far cheaper to drill  geothermal well(s) anywhere far down into the earths' crust where temperatures are 500-1700 degrees permanently than to build(remember,coal and oil could'nt have formed if it were'nt for that heat) a nuclear device with a lifespan of 30 years or less and a deadspan of over 25,000 years.

John Edward Mercier
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 7:59:20 PM

Huh?

Its only 'dead' due to regulation. The reconstitution of spent uranium is not legal in the US.

Let's remember that outside the gravitational energy that you are suggesting, that other energy formats are nuclear based...

LaserBillA
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:37:21 AM

John Edward Mercier wrote:

Its only 'dead' due to regulation. The reconstitution of spent uranium is not legal in the US.

[/quote]

It's back and it looks like we might start construction in 2011
http://www.armscontrol.org/act/2005_09/Fetter-VonHippel
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/nuke/RS22542.pdf

davisonh
#10 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:37:21 AM

I rant,and I will rant again,why is it that more funding,government or otherwise,is not put into geothermal electrical generation?There is enough geothermal energy underground to far surpass our current coal use 1000 times over,and is a permanent source of energy,not a fleeting one using rotten organic matter.Any ideas as to why?